• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Be certain that you have spelled your email address correctly! Your account is then manually checked and approved.

1975 Super Glide FXE

AngrySailor

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/31/2020
Why would they design an electrical system that can’t run the ignition and headlight at the same time? Sounds suspect to me lol.

Keith
I’ve read elsewhere of charging issues but I’m wondering if this relates to the older bikes that had generators? From what I can find this bike stock should have a 16a alternator system. A 32a system is available but I’m gonna see how it works before dropping maple syrups I don’t need too spend. I’m not about to put a stereo, heated vest, GPS, ass warmer and such on it...

AngrySailor

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/31/2020
Got some measurements on that primary drive.40/62 teeth, 8mm pitch, 41 1/4” length which is 1048mm. subtract 8mm as we’re looking for tooth count and not spaces between teeth 1040mm/8mm=130 teeth. They offer 132 tooth belts as standard. I wonder if that’s just measurement error and also how much adjustment is there if any as The original chain had a tensioner...

I have a primo part number 2024-0003 1EFADB2E-8705-4949-99A3-3D43AC2654E4.pngand
And one from Dennis Kirk for a BDL drive 11-006312285040-8DB3-4961-A33F-5D59ACFC9F1B.png24700F83-68B5-40DF-8195-C3612CC9BF05.png
Seems to be the same belt to me... dimension wise anyways.

ulgydog56

Registered
have a 2001 electra glide flht sence new, I put stage 2 kit on it and yup there for touring, never had a big problem with it, is it the fastest---no but it does ride super nice over long distance, the twin cam is reliable and porche helped design the engine. I ride dirt bikes also and in joy riding many different brands of bikes, they all ride different and have pro's and con's, its all fun.

AngrySailor

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/31/2020
Ordered a 132T belt. Pops had his shops Harley cherry busted as it leaked oil EVERYWHERE... he picked it up with a forklift and sling around the backbone to get it out of the shed and said it tilted a good bit to the side, I’m wondering if the oil tank leaked down to the crankcase and just came out the overflow? There is an overflow/vent on the right hand side I think isn’t there?

AngrySailor

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/31/2020
She’s got an S&S B model carb on her. That’s discontinued ages ago... the picture of the accelerator pump cover is for a current model and has the same casting number as mine. I risked the $16.95 and ordered a new diaphragm for a model G I think... does anyone know for sure if they are interchangeable?

Attachments

uglyblue66

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/07/2018
I am no expert but we recently worked on my dads 79 and it has the 32 amp charging on it.I would stick with the 16 unless you do alot of night riding or have to run headlights all day or something. I think the high amp was for a situation like this 1 of dads being a Philidaphia city police bike with the radios and all that on it.

AngrySailor

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/31/2020
Parts shipped today. Changed out the forward controls for some that were in stock. After reading up on the ones I originally ordered I didn’t like that they attach to the original mid shifter shaft and not directly to the transmission. Also there were many buyers who had problems with the master cylinder. Stepped up to some made in the good ol’ USA, screw Taiwan. Got some other small items like oil filters and some spare exhaust gaskets, my friend has a bike shop back home and has tires in stock for me. Still no answer from S&S about the accelerator pump diaphragm but for $16 I ordered one that might fit. Sounds like pops is going to drive east and visit me in June if travel restrictions are lifted and he’ll be bringing the bike. Decent!

Sunnybrook

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
05/02/2020
Free is the only kind of Harley. I'll get flamed by the Hardleygeezers but as a dirt biker you understand what response to rider inputs are.
Low speed putting around on a Hardley is ok. That is until you hit a corner or expect something to happen when you lean on the brakes. I might be older than your dad but I ain't ready for one of those geezerglides. Gimme my crotch rockets!
Oldstuff brother..only thing worse than a geezer on a crotch rocket is a geezer in spandex hoggin the road on a bicycle. 😁

Last edited:

I like oldstuff

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/09/2015
+1 on a geezer in spandex on a road clogger. (pedal bike)
I used to be on a ducati site and there was a thread about people on pedalers that think they own the road. I have my own near death stories about them. One guy piped up how he rides crotch rockets as well as pedalers and started quite a self righteous pissing storm. Eventually he posted a pic of himself in spandex and we all lost it. Here's this mid 70's guy, legs as big as toothpicks, 130 pounds soaking wet, with a scraggly grey beard and a bush of hair that looks like a clown wig. All wrapped in surfer punk styled spandex. Funniest looking bozo ever! I doubt if I can find the pic but you'd certainly get a laugh.

edit:
Mine's still not together. It's all done other than air filters. I took the old ones out to clean the foam and they start crumbling. So I order these nifty high zoot factor three layer ones from Pipercross in England. No feedback from the seller so here I sit waiting on them.

Engine Whisperer

Defective Email Address
Last Subscription Date
01/14/2016
Have you started putting your bike together yet? Get a good manual and a digital torque wrench. Clean all your threads and torque everything properly. With the chain it didn't matter if the oil leaked out of the engine and into the primary, and the main seal looked like it goes in backwards, with a belt the seal should be installed in a conventional manner with the lip facing the engine oil. When you get your new belt, hold the front sprocket in your hand and wrap the belt around it, you want the "ends" butted together as close as you can get them and the teeth should fit precisely all the way around. Anything less and the belt will begin a program of self-destruction. Many different 8mm belts, I think most of the premature failures are because of incorrect fitment, rather than "That big stroker is just that bad!" The "B" is a huge carb, usually for 88 or larger engines, I would also have to wonder if it might have a huge cam too. The B is great for drag racing, as far as riding it I would go with a CV carb off of a little newer bike or a Keihin like the one it probably had. When they set for a long time a lot of oil gets in the crankcase on a lot of them, when you fire it up it will puke out what it doesn't want, not a problem unless it's really doing it all the time. I put studs in the exhaust flanges, and Loc-Tite on ONLY the crankshaft sprocket. Your charging system is robust and simple, easy to troubleshoot, don't worry about it. Get the engine in tune and the kick start is almost a pleasure, you can show off your badassedness more frequently, but if it's barely running you can end up looking like a fool with a really tired leg. Are you looking to work towards stock? One way or another, a shovelhead will get 100% of your attention, and keep in mind that AMF stands for Always More Fun!

AngrySailor

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/31/2020
I’m still away working at sea for another couple weeks, should be home mid July and getting to work on the bike and the million other projects I have on the go...

I did download and print the manual. The carb is an “E” model, the casting sure makes the E look like a B in pictures but I’ve confirmed it’s an E and ordered a rebuilding kit from S&S. The ignition is original points which I have no plans to change, just make sure the advance is free. Seems some of the electronic ignitions cause kick starting issues due to having a minimum speed before triggering.

I’ve ordered some miscellaneous parts to get her on the road, brake caliper rebuild kits, master cylinder kit, brake pads, a top end gasket set (mostly for the push rod tube seals) but figured was good have the rest on hand, Tires and tubes are waiting at my friends bike shop, also some replacement signal lenses and a horn. New key switch also as I don’t have the key. I think I should have everything to make her road worthy... hopefully the belt is correct as that’s I’ll be the biggest hold up.

Speaking of spandexed weinies... Had a good laugh in Hamilton Ontario probably 20 years ago... Barton street is two lanes each direction and busy with lots of traffic lights. A friend and I were in a straight truck making our way out of the city and we had just stopped at a 7-11 and picked up a couple slurpee’s (was hot asf). We’re in the right lane and there’s a big hold up, it’s spandex wienie riding in the middle of the right lane. My buddy was driving so he eventually is able to merge into the left lane and pass the guy then merge back to the right. We stop at the next red light and spandex weinie passes everyone who had just passed him on the shoulder between vehicles and the curb (ffs). Once again buddy merges to the left, passes spandex wienie and merges back to the right. Coming up to the next red light he sees spandex weinie go for the shoulder again. So... as we’re still rolling to the stop he eases the truck tight to the curb so spandex weinie can’t get by. He didn’t cut him off as we were a good ways ahead of him. Spandex wienie pulls left and pedals up to our drivers window flipping his sh1t. My friend not having much patience for this idiot grabs his slurpee and PASTES spandex weinie right in the chest with it! Light turns green and we pull away. Spandex weinie gathers himself up and starts peddling like mad chasing us. We stop at the next red light and here he comes splitting the two lanes of traffic. Buddy just reaches over and grabs my slurpee from the cup holder... spandex wienie pulls up to the window and before he can say eff all buddy pastes him with the second slurpee! Light turns green and we pulled away laughing out asses off. I really don’t think he was expecting the reload...

I like oldstuff

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/09/2015
Double slurpie. Totally epic and you know by the time he got home he was sugar glued together.

Another spandex roadblocker story. And might I add perhaps the best one I ever witnessed.
Back in the mid 80's I took one of my cross country bike trips and was in Yellowstone park. Altitude was very high on steep and curvy roads and there I was, in a que of cars and trucks and maybe the 20th one slogging it out at a pace not much more than walking.

Eventually I saw the cause of our turtle pace and yes it was some self serving sanctimonious I own the road spandex sporting pedaler. Of course this prick was in the road lane holding up traffic as he has rights to the road. Little by little cars would pass this wire rimmed glasses bearded Ahole honking at his highness etc.

As I got closer I could see what was about to transpire and gladly sat back for the show. Someone in a chipped F350 Powerstroke with a big trailer would pull out for a pass then back off as traffic was oncoming. This went on for 20 minutes and finally he had his chance. He put his foot through the floor and sent up a smoke screen so big you couldn't see bikeyboy and totally gassed him out with his coal rolling. That 4 inch pipe pointed right at him. It was even better as we were at something like 8000 feet and the thing obviously didn't have some aneroid compensating fuel system.
Ol spandex was coated in gray soot and pulled over to gag and cough!

I stopped by him to laugh and express a few expletives and trundled off. Man that made my day and I still have the visual 35 years later.

Last edited:

AngrySailor

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/31/2020
Signing off the ship next port (3 days). I’ll have a few days to monkey with the bike then. I should have my primary belt at that time. Might be able to fire her up. I won’t have the carb kit for another week though. Probably just clean the carb (accelerator pump is shot) and see if she’ll fire up. Do what I can, oil change, clean the fuel tanks that kink of stuff. If I want to take a spin it will be on the old tires and shifting with a pair of vise grips... I’ve got to mount the forward controls when I get back east. One thing I noticed was that my leg hits the S&S air cleaner when I put my foot on the highway peg. I might machine some spacers to set the forward controls maybe 1 1/2” wider if this is a problem.