• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. Be Considerate, this is an application to JOIN Smokstak, therefore it becomes part of a decision to open the door to you or send you off to the dropout file. Place your City, State, Country in the location box and it will be compared to where the internet lookup utilities say that you are. Don't give me a zip code to look up, the Eject button is much easier. We get hundreds of applications, so there is not time for monkey business.

1979 Harley voltage regulator

uglyblue66

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/07/2018
Well,I just wanted to update this.
I finnaly got the motorcycle lift out of the basement and we got the harley on it in the shop before Christmas. Well, My dad was talking to some old farts he eats breakfast with and turns out 1 was a old harley mechanic and he agreed to come look at it and work on it. It was about the 30th of december before he came. Well,when we tried to put the thing in the shop the clutch would not release and kept choking the motor down.
Well, this photo tells alot.
Best the guy can tell, someone put a starter bendix on it and covered it in grease.The grease got all in the clutch pack and they are like chewing gum
The 2 inch bearing in the houseing that is took off, I can't think of the name of it,is also worn and noisey.
The charging system issue was the wires comeing out of the stator coil had been crimped when installed and it made a weak spot in the wires.You can hook a meter to them with audiable continutiy and then wiggle the creaseed area of the wires and the beep will stop.
So several issues are getting fixed .Hopefully my dad can play with this thing some come spring of the year.

Attachments