2 1/2 hp Lauson W

I have been tinkering with my Lawson engine and not having much luck with it starting. I have it rigged to and automotive coil and a battery and the most times it has kicked is 6 in a row .
I picked up an old Ford buzz coil last week so I thought I would try it tonight . I followed directions I found on here from an earlier post
Now I have a couple questions .
#1 does a buzz coil always buzz when connected? Mine does.
#2 now it seems to fire too soon and it's trying to run backwards although it didn't do that with the automotive coil .
Any thoughts or comments are greatly appreciated
Thanks . Brian

ScooterBob

Subscriber
It should only buzz when the engine contactor completes the ground circuit, and should buzz the entire time the contactor is made, which only needs to be 10 or 20 degrees, starting about 10 degrees before tdc.

Rich Mueller Sr

Subscriber
https://www.smokstak.com/articles/buzz_coil.html Here is how to hook up a tcoil or buzz coil, a good picture of what you have for a timer always helps to. Personally I would set the timing at TDC or a tad ATDC you can always change it after you get used to one another quirks. If a type W I bet you are using the crank handle in wheel?? If timed before TDC and wanting to run backwards is a real good way to mess up a wrist or get a arm broke!!

ScooterBob

Subscriber
Brian, are we talking about the yellow and red engine with the home made spark plug conversion in this thread???

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=190553

If so, as Rich mentioned, could you get us some close up pics of how you're triggering the coil.

Zooming in on the first pic of that thread, it looks like they were trying to trigger off a bump on the cam gear. If that's what you're doing, the wire attachment block and wipe arm needs to be insulated from ground, and a bump on the cam gear needs to complete the coil ground circuit when it touches the wipe arm.

If a type W I bet you are using the crank handle in wheel?? If timed before TDC and wanting to run backwards is a real good way to mess up a wrist or get a arm broke!![/QUOTE]

Yes I am using the crank handle . Is there another way to start it?
Thankyou for your comments

Brian, are we talking about the yellow and red engine with the home made spark plug conversion

If so, as Rich mentioned, could you get us some close up pics of how you're triggering

Yes it is the red and yellow engine . I will send a close up picture of the trigger later today . Thankyou for your comments
Brian

ScooterBob

Subscriber
Brian, it's hard to confirm from the pics, but you need to confirm that the wipe arm and the wire stud are electrically insulated from the mounting bracket that is bolted to the main bearing cap. Have you got access to an ohmmeter?

Then when that nut in the cam gear touches the wipe arm is when the circuit to ground should complete and turn on the buzz coil. And hopefully that happens at or very near TDC of the compression stroke.

Bob. Thanks for the reply . I have found where the contact needs to be insulated . I will solve that problem this week . I need advice on how to adjust the timing . I can't see what need to move to make this adjustment
Thanks . Brian

ScooterBob

Subscriber
I need advice on how to adjust the timing . I can't see what need to move to make this adjustment
This is a homemade ignition trigger, so it's going to take some down home ingenuity to get it working. Hopefully it's real close, and you should be able to tell without the ignition hooked up.

I got the Lauson to run yesterday for the first time . It's also my first hit and miss so I owe many thanks to the guys who offered assistance .
I will try to post a video when one of my kids visit
Brian

Kevin O. Pulver

Email NOT Working
If a type W I bet you are using the crank handle in wheel?? If timed before TDC and wanting to run backwards is a real good way to mess up a wrist or get a arm broke!!
Yes I am using the crank handle . Is there another way to start it?
Thankyou for your comments[/QUOTE]

Brian most engines of course did not have that handle in the flywheel. So you just stand behind them and grab both flywheels roll them up to near top dead center and then pull them hard.

The handle is very handy but it can be dangerous depending on where your timing is.
Get in the habit of never wrapping your thumb around the handle- make your thumb lay with the other four fingers. If it kicks back it won't dislocate your thumb.

When your engine is set up right and you learn what it likes, it will start pretty easily.