• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

2 New Old Onan CCK

Zeromedic

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/08/2020
Hi blousteau,

Thank you for the additional pictures. Looks like enough detail to draw up a schematic. Maybe a couple more showing under the curve of the capacitors? Diode CR1 and the traces connecting it on the solder side?

Any chance of reading numbers off the side of CR5? Gentle cleaning of the parts and board with warm water and a soft bristle toothbrush may help and won't damage the pcb. Avoid the cap, then blow dry.

Looks like Kevin K was correct and you have a (CDI) capacitor discharge ignition system. Looks very similar to circuits used on some of the little moped and go cart engines, except those use separate power and trigger coils under the flywheel.

I did some digging, and TO3 triacs were common in 1960, and your TO220 part C106B1 is in my GE databook as a 4A 200V triac. (CR4)

Were there jumper wires connected between E3-E6? Not really visible, but a assume E7-E8 somehow connect to wires going to magneto coil under the flywheel? Maybe 1 to the mag coil and 1 to a kill switch?

Steve

blousteau

Registered
I will get some more pics this evening. I do believe there are separate power and trigger coils under the flywheel. I will get some pics of under the flywheel too.

The four wires in the plug for the board appear to be as follows:

2 from the power coil (bottom of the timing cover)
1 from the trigger coil (positioned on the timing cover in a place that looks to be for proper timing)
1 from the stop button (mounted on the engine shroud)

Zeromedic

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/08/2020
Ok, I see it with new understanding.

E7-E8 lugs are used to mount the board, and are both grounded.

E3-4-5-6 gets a 4 pin plug, bottom 2 pins E5,E6 are power in, E3 and E4 are connected together on the board, 1 gets the trigger and 1 can kill the trigger by grounding it out.

Power in goes to center of full wave bridge circuit CR2,3,7, and 8.

DC from bridge heads north to charge capacitors and also may get shunted to ground when CR5 (almost certainly a zener) conducts. Now guessing CR5 will be 100-150 volt.

This is fun.

Steve

Had another thought about CR5. Maybe it is a fast switching diode being used as a flyback circuit for the coil.
Also suspecting CR1 (hidden under the capacitor) may be a "diac" trigger diode for CR4.

Last edited:

blousteau

Registered
I can say for sure it does not work! Engine is all assembled from the “rebuild”. Hooked everything up and couldn’t get a spark out of it. Put the points box on from the other unit, stole a 12v coil from my BFA and wired it up straight to a battery. After about 20 min of pulling on the cord she fired up and ran perfect.

It will be points with a 12v coil conversion.

FYI pull starting this thing is a chore!

Now onto reassembly of the gen end, mating it back to the motor and sorting out the control box.

A pick of its current state and rigged up coil for test running will be posted soon.

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
I like those “handles”. GREAT anti theft device, as long as it is running! :D

blousteau

Registered
The "Handles" came with it, they are not staying! I have two exhaust manifolds to work with in case I screw up mating it to the extra tractor muffler or the one I have left over from the BFA. The BFA came out of an RV and it has the big long quiet as hell muffler. That just didn't work for the cart I built for the BFA.

blousteau

Registered
With it running on the points w a battery, I measured the magneto and trigger voltages. I am getting around 26 from the magneto and 17 from the trigger. Shouldn’t be too hard to make a circuit to fire the coil since those are working.

blousteau

Registered
Got a new issue.

The bearing retainer clip snapped on the one I am working on and wouldn't you know it the donor also had the same problem.

Anyone got or got a lead on a bearing retainer clip 232-0596 that is not close to $200?

Zephyr7

Registered
No where near Onan green but the wife love the color, so rustoleum deep turquoise gloss it is. It’s growing on me. I’m not going for perfect repaint just remove the rust and sand a little. It will still have some character.
That makes it look like one of the old blue Kohlers!

Let’s see what vanman thinks, he likes the old kohlers.

Bill

zuhnc

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/08/2019
You might get a piece of steel in similar thickness and fabricate one. A broken fish tape might provide the proper thickness. Even a mashed-down piece of 7018 welding rod might work. Very little stress on it; just keeps the outer race from turning while allowing end movement. zuhnc

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
That makes it look like one of the old blue Kohlers!

Let’s see what vanman thinks, he likes the old kohlers.

Bill
LOL! I think it looks great! Like a blend of the two. :D Like what you might end up with if you leave a Kohler and an Onan unattended in the same garage... :O

Keith

blousteau

Registered
I seriously think the Onan gods approve of the color. I was looking for a bolt the other night and went to my go to Rubbermaid container of spares from every one I have worked on (I seem to buy two to make one every time). Ended up getting frustrated and dumped the thing out on the garage floor to sort through the stuff easier. Found the bolt I needed and quickly got it all out back in the Rubbermaid. Fast fad to tonight. I moved my work cart to clean up before going inside for the night and wouldn’t you know it, a bearing clip all by its lonesome under the cart.

It must have come from one of my many donor units. I must have thought it was a good idea at the time to toss it in that container. Glad I did. We are back in business to get the gen end mated to the motor today!

DJB6.03CE

Registered
No where near Onan green but the wife love the color, so rustoleum deep turquoise gloss it is. It’s growing on me. I’m not going for perfect repaint just remove the rust and sand a little. It will still have some character.
Most of us won’t judge ✌