• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

20 hp Bessemer cooling system

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017
Re: 20 hp bessemer cooling system

For thermosyphon cooling, be sure to ramp the outlet from the top of the cylinder, up to the top of the tank, and the return down from the bottom of the tank, to the bottom of the cylinder on the engine. If water is pumped to the barrel, then you don't have to ramp the piping. Minimum pipe diameter, 11/2", 2" is better!:eek:
Andrew

Rod Fielder

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/14/2016

i'll send you a photo as soon as i can get to my camera

rod

Farmer John

Registered

I was going to run 1" on my 20 hp south Penn. is that to small ?My 12 hp Reid has 3/4" and it cools fine...thanks John

Rod Fielder

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/14/2016

ok, what should the oilers be set at.(how many drops):shrug:
start at 10 per minute and if it is showing too much turn it down a bit. i run most of mine at 6 per minute

---------- Post added at 06:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:06 PM ----------

I was going to run 1" on my 20 hp south Penn. is that to small ?My 12 hp Reid has 3/4" and it cools fine...thanks John
1" will work ok john. i usually run 1" on all of mine that just run for the noise of it. in the field, most of the working engines that i remove are 1 1/2" to 2"

---------- Post added at 06:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:11 PM ----------

you can control the temp of the engine by the incline of the pipe from the top of cylinder to the top of the barrel. i have seen some non working engines with the pipes run level to keep them running hotter.

Farmer John

Registered

thanks Rod as i had over half of it plumbed already i sure didnt want to do it over......john

Rod Fielder

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/14/2016

there is about 12 different greens that i have had. pick one. the first 1000 bessemers weren't painted. i have one of them. most guys like the hunter green from tractor supply. it will fade after a year or so, even with their catalyst, but if you spray some oil on it and blow some dirt on it you won't even notice the color.

Kirk Taylor

Registered

Tie him fast and make him earn his keep!!!!!!
No worries, Kyle. They are like you; when I show up, I am slave labor. They even rent me out to the neighbor.
Actually, it's a cool place to go hang out for awhile. They have plenty of awesome toys and are fun to be around. I need to visit more often.

Kirk