• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

20 HP Fairbanks-Morse YH Oil Engine

Doug Kimball

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/10/2019
Our club, the Maine Antique Power Association, owns the above engine. We have run it a couple of times but could not get it started on our last attempt even belted to a tractor. We do not have the original vertical kerosene blow torch nor the cast iron heat shield. The times we did run it we used an oxy-acetylene rosebud but that set-up is not always available.

We've been discussing fabricating a heat shield from steel plate and 6" pipe. We have no members with a similar engine and have only the one attached photo of the shield. Has anyone got better photos and possibly dimensions?

Have seen a couple of original FBM torches for sale on Ebay but they've been out of our price range. Would something like a propane weed burner torch be adequate? We are considering fabricating a propane torch like one in attached link. Anyone had any experience using one of these as a starting torch?
http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/oliverburner1.html

Any help appreciated.

Attachments

Ken Majeski

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/10/2019
I made a burner out of a piece of one inch pipe for my 15. It works fine. A friend near here has a 25 HP and he used a burner out of a gas furnace (Just one) and that works fine also. You need more than the 11" water column pressure the furnace runs at and the burner makes a Roar when running.

Problem with acetylene is it's too easy to Melt your starting tube.

Randy L Peterson

Registered
Once warmed up it likes to have the flame on just enough to stay lit. Then have to mess with the starting spoon to find the sweet spot.

Gene Williams

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/15/2019
We have a 25HP YHB that uses a glow plug and does take some tinkering to get things warmed up both with the starting spoon and reapplying some juice to the glow plug. After the engine "catches" it needs no more assistance. This usually only takes a couple of minutes but sometimes more.

Denis Rouleau

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
How collectable is a 25 horsepower Fairbanks-Morse "Y" Oil engine?

There is one for sale in my area and I'm trying to figure out what a reasonable price would be to get one. I have not seen the engine but it looks like the one on page 65 of the book "Fairbanks-Morse - 100 Years of Engine technology" by C.H. Wendel.

Thanks!
Denis Rouleau

Denis Rouleau

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Re: 25 HP Fairbanks-Morse YH Oil Engine

Here are a few pictures of this 25hp I would like to determine its approximate value. The asking price is $6500.00 and the owner tell me he has twice this amount in it.

Is his asking price too high, just right or too low? What do you think? I have no idea!
Denis Rouleau

Attachments

Tysher1

Registered
Last Subscription Date
06/05/2018
Hi Denis, I also inquired about that engine but didnt have a good idea on the value. I dont live too far from where it is located. I have not gone to look at it but have been told a few things about it.

Contaucreek

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/28/2017
I have known of that engine for a few years now. Completely reworked at quite a cost was my understanding

mesuddarth

Registered
Re: 25 HP Fairbanks-Morse YH Oil Engine

I have my 20 Hp listed at $3000.00. Seems high but then again it is all in what you are willing to pay to gain a piece of history.