• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. Be Considerate, this is an application to JOIN Smokstak, therefore it becomes part of a decision to open the door to you or send you off to the dropout file. Place your City, State, Country in the location box and it will be compared to where the internet lookup utilities say that you are. Don't give me a zip code to look up, the Eject button is much easier. We get hundreds of applications, so there is not time for monkey business.

20 hp Reid - Winter Project

Luke Wagner

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
05/01/2019
20 hp Reid Winter Project - completely disassemble, clean, sandblast; both pistons stuck hard; remove connecting rods; I made a 1" disc that fit cylinder and wrapped duct tape on outside so as not to scratch cylinder; used a concrete breaker on the trackhoe (which is a very gentle way to remove the piston) to drive piston further into the bore to free it up; clean-up cylinders with a flapper wheel; used 1 1/4" rod through the front hole and drove the piston out; which came out easily after breaking loose; hone cylinders;

Attachments

Last edited:

W.P.Klein

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
01/19/2020
Looks great Luke- looks like we both figured out the posting procedure on the new Stak format :) Bill Klein

IronworkerFXR

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/06/2020
Great job Luke ,,
I laugh as I read the one paragraph , with it sounding soo simple in taking that apart .. WHICH IT IS NOT....
I do thank you for posting the pictures and how you did it , its the only way for a lot of us trying to do a restoration when you do not live in a oil field area . did you replace the water jacket clean out studs or wee they good ?. what are your plans for the intake valve copper washers ?.
JC

Luke Wagner

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
05/01/2019
It is Serial #3239 which would be a 1906. Bore 9", Stroke 15" = 1065 cubic inches.
Pistons cleaned up; Installed new rings; Polished crank shaft; Poured new bearing for connecting rod; Paint flywheels, cylinder and bead plate; Remachined both valves;

Attachments

W.P.Klein

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
01/19/2020
Wow buddy- you do 'em right! I don't understand the term "ahead of schedule" though. You may need to explain it because it is foreign to me ;) Bill Klein

StrikeForce

Registered
Just about ready to start up.
What paint color is that you used for the red? I've seen something about an old Chevy red but haven't got there yet. I am also second guessing my idea to paint because I know for sure I am not going to make the base look as pretty as you did before paint! nice work.

Also, can you go into your air intake setup? Right now I am just going with a plain gate valve to regulate but curious to your setup.

IronworkerFXR

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/06/2020
No Moss grows in that shop for sure !!!! Thank you for sharing !
if your inclined , yes we would like to learn more about your setup .
JC

Luke Wagner

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
05/01/2019
What paint color is that you used for the red? I've seen something about an old Chevy red but haven't got there yet. I am also second guessing my idea to paint because I know for sure I am not going to make the base look as pretty as you did before paint! nice work.

Also, can you go into your air intake setup? Right now I am just going with a plain gate valve to regulate but curious to your setup.
the paint is a 79 chev. truck red Dark carmine the reason the paint look's good i used epoxy primer first.

on the air intake set up i used 2 gate valve's 1/2 for fuel an a 1'' for air i put the fuel valve first that way when the air comes through it mixes with the fuel just like a carburetor the fuel just cracket it a little air valve 1 1/2 to 2 turns
each engine is a little different i hope that helps.

'

StrikeForce

Registered
the paint is a 79 chev. truck red Dark carmine the reason the paint look's good i used epoxy primer first.

on the air intake set up i used 2 gate valve's 1/2 for fuel an a 1'' for air i put the fuel valve first that way when the air comes through it mixes with the fuel just like a carburetor the fuel just cracket it a little air valve 1 1/2 to 2 turns
each engine is a little different i hope that helps.
Ok, nice. That is what I thought it looked like you were doing. You are bypassing the mixer and just making your own inline carburetor. Probably much easier to balance the fuel mixture than my setup.

Attachments