• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Your account is then manually checked and approved. There is too much funny business on the web for us to do otherwise. Be sure to use a working email address and do not use cloaking or anonymous web connections.

20hp Bessemer Restoration

mccormick98

Registered
Well, we started on my bessemer today:D We made good progress on it. Now the flywheels spin, the head is off, and piston came out:bonk: The piston gave us quite a fight we had to do some rigging to get it out. We will need to get new babbit poured in the rod connected to the flywheels:( ill upload pics soon:brows:

Kirk Taylor

Registered
Re: 20hp bessemer restoration

Well, we started on my bessemer today:D We made good progress on it. Now the flywheels spin, the head is off, and piston came out:bonk: The piston gave us quite a fight we had to do some rigging to get it out. We will need to get new babbit poured in the rod connected to the flywheels:( ill upload pics soon:brows:
Most excellent. I'm glad you were able to get it loose and apart. There's plenty of babbitt sitting at my place when you're ready to pour.

Kirk

mccormick98

Registered

Sounds good kirk, the cylinder on this engine was clear full of water. I had my doubts on how easy it would be:brows:

Rod Fielder

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/14/2016

now that didn't take that long did it????? good job guys

rod

Kirk Taylor

Registered

After the advice we got from you it didnt take no time at all! thanks for your help rod
That's a nice looking un-sticker. There's a 20hp Bessemer sitting over at Mr. McCoy's that is quite stuck. We haven't taken the time to do anything with it yet. I'm afraid it might be a little more stuck than what yours was.

Kirk

mccormick98

Registered

That's a nice looking un-sticker. There's a 20hp Bessemer sitting over at Mr. McCoy's that is quite stuck. We haven't taken the time to do anything with it yet. I'm afraid it might be a little more stuck than what yours was.

Kirk
If you get into it and need help let us know. ours was REALLY STUCK. with the help of alot of heat and a 20 ton air jack ours came out.

Jeff Miley

Registered

Looks like you are making good progress. I look forward to seeing it at this years power reunion. Traveling by your way next weekend to see the family. As we pass by I will put the window down and listen close in case you have it running. That should be plenty of time to finish things up. Keep us posted.

mccormick98

Registered

We are now in the process of building an electroilsys bath for the piston to loosen up the rings:brows: As soon as we get the block welded up it is ready to sandblast and paint:D

justme7917

Registered

take your time on the rings oil and a light tap will work.i got rings off a piston that sat out for a long time. rich ps get it ready for this summer bessemer is haveing a reunion in grovecity they want some engines.

Kirk Taylor

Registered

take your time on the rings oil and a light tap will work.i got rings off a piston that sat out for a long time. rich ps get it ready for this summer bessemer is haveing a reunion in grovecity they want some engines.
I second that on the ring loosening process. If they're still stuck when they come out of the bath, use a small, preferably brass or plastic, hammer and your favorite penetrant. Just keep lightly tapping around the entire circumference of the ring.

Kirk

mccormick98

Registered

We are gonna let the piston soak till friday then try to get the rings loosened up.:brows: what is the best way to shine up the outside of the brass bearings:shrug:

mccormick98

Registered

We decided to pull our piston out tonight to see how our little experiment was working!:brows: It ended up with a little tap here and there all the rings came loose:eek: The piston is now ready to be put back in the block:D

mccormick98

Registered

Looks like you are making good progress. I look forward to seeing it at this years power reunion. Traveling by your way next weekend to see the family. As we pass by I will put the window down and listen close in case you have it running. That should be plenty of time to finish things up. Keep us posted.
Jeff, yea stop by sometime it will be here

Rod Fielder

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/14/2016

you should be out shopping for your next oil field engine. one is never enough.

Rod Fielder

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/14/2016

i do lay aways with little down payment. blue light specials all next month. bring a big cart.

havin fun in belpre