• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

20RZ wiring schematic

msquared

Registered
Anybody have a wiring schematic for this unit Kohler 20RZ Serial# 2131459 Spec GM28726-GA1, particularly the pin out config on the ICM and engine connector on the control board. When I try to start it in manual I can set and hear the start relay on the control board click red led blinks but beyond that nothing else happens. The relay goes through 3 cycles than it faults out on overcrank. Battery is good all the fuses I could find were good and the only 5 pin relay I could find works.

Thanks Marc

Zephyr7

Registered
I have all the manuals at home. I can send you a PDF copy when I get back tonight.

Note that the engine ECM is different from the generator controller that Kohler provides. The engine control electronics are ford parts and the Kohler docs have a placeholder saying that Kohler doesn’t have rights to distribute those and you have to get them from ford. The Kohler manuals apply only to the generator end (power wiring), and to the Kohler control box.

Bill

msquared

Registered
Trying to track down why it won't start. I got a pin out guide for the Ford ICM and it seems that I'm not getting any power to the ICM. When I put my Fluke 87 meter on it, the switched B+ pin in the ICM connector, I can see 0.1VDC when the start relay on the board closes, then 0 when it opens.

Zephyr7

Registered
Have you checked the Kohler controller? I think it can kill power to the ignition system so it might either have something locking things out, or a loose connection.

Bill

msquared

Registered
Well I pulled out the main engine connector and reset it but that did nothing, hoping with a schematic I can locate any possible connection points.

MArc