• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

22 Advance Steam Traction Engine on eBay

HalfKeck

Registered
Last Subscription Date
05/17/2016
Somewhat complete, ck it out...could be a nice engine for someone.

HalfKeck

Registered
Last Subscription Date
05/17/2016
Re: 22 advance on ebay

Thanks Harry, forgot to save the number... :)

Mike McKnight

Registered
Re: 22 advance on ebay

Dang, looks like a pretty nice engine for somebody! Glad the seller is up-front about it possibly needing boiler work.

Mike

B

Bill Thurman

Re: 22 Advance on eBay

I know this engine well as belonged to a freind of mine for alot of years, Boiler is bad, nothing left, was first torch welded on in 1916 as was leaking bad then, and has been welded and filled with babbit in the corners time after time since then, Bill T

Keven Withers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/14/2020
That engine is less than 20 miles from my house :eek:. I am trying to figure out owns it :shrug:. Keven

B

Bill Thurman

Having a hard time figuring this out, so just in case this is not the same engine, the one I'am refuring to was owned by Ernnie morrell (who bought it out of S.D ) and was the first engine at the jordan,Mn. show along with the engine I now own,(22 advance) was then owned by a freind of mine at leseur,Mn. for around 30 years and set in his pasture, Was traded by my freind along with a nichols for a 24 minnie, since was sold again, If it is that engine, it has some major boiler issues, I"am not tearing anything down, its just the truth, I know I would want to know, still a nice engine and has the rare narrow wheels,

B

Bill Thurman

I talked to the owner of this engine and very nice fellow, We disscussed engine and I aplogized if he took my comment on the boiler cond. the wrong way, I just do not want anyone to get hurt if can be prevented !This is a nice engine and well worth restoring as it is quite rare for a advance,, I'am sure he would let you inspect the boiler before bidding to see what is needed,

KevinS

Registered
No need to apologize Bill. It was good talking with you. I think it would go farther though, if steam engine safety is a top priority with you, to work on getting a good set of rules and regulations regarding steam engine operation in the great state of Missouri. Is it correct that anyone can operate any steam engine anytime with no inspections of any kind in Missouri at this time. If thats the case, that sounds like an accident waiting to happen. Kevin

Beth V

Last Subscription Date
03/03/2018
This engine sounds like a fine candidate to send to Jonas or another reputable boiler maker for a new boiler. What happened to the missing parts? go to another engine? The gears look nice. I really like the bark of an Advance.:)

BTW, a boiler inspection will NOT stop "an accident waiting to happen".....and neither will an Operator's License. It is the nut behind the wheel. That being said, a thorough inspection and quality learning will go a long way to decreasing the potential for an accident to happen.

Beth

Mike McKnight

Registered
One would like to think that a boiler inspection would tell of potential problem spots (and not to allow operation in public) and that a little "book learnin'" would help to educate one on the dangers of a thin boiler....

That said, I do realize the operator is the key to safe operation! But hopefully education and inspection would help some....

Mike

B

Bill Thurman

Kevin, Steam engine saftey is one of my top priorities, (can't spell), It is not the "steam guys" I worry about as most all engines where owned by people who knew steam 20 years ago, now with it being a investment, everyone wants to get in on the act, Mo. while it has no state regulations has a excellent saftey record as the remaing "steam" guys try to keep the investors in line and our shows have very strict policies, I worry about the people who think of these as just another old tractor, not only in my state but any state, I was taught to respect steam by a 85 year old "best freind", These guys are all but gone now, It was a pleasure meeting you asnd I will stop in and see your other engine as you gotta be alright to have Advance engines, Bill T

LundMachineWorks

Registered
Last Subscription Date
05/01/2018
This boiler is JUNK! I looked at it with Kevin. Other than a flower planter, the only way to make this thing operational under steam is a new boiler.

Jeff L.

P.S. I am not slamming it. I am calling it as it is!

greysteam24hp

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/31/2013
I am not going to bid this engine.:eek: I considered and save money for a new firebox boiler on my Greyhound engine.:O Someone a boiler repair I spoke over the phone past month will be considered.:O

KevinS

Registered
Hey Jeff,
Where did you get that "flower pot" saying from? You didn't pick that up from my old man, did you? :) Aren't you just starting to build a new boiler for an advance steam engine exactly like this one? Have you started on it yet? What's a ballpark cost for something like that? Kevin

Beth V

Last Subscription Date
03/03/2018
Kevin,

Why are you seling the engine? Because of the new boiler needs? What happened to the missing parts?

It looks to have great potential....pretty as a mailbox holder or flower pot structure, but I'd have to run it.....after it was restored!

Thanks
Beth

KevinS

Registered
Beth,
Recently bought some farmland and have to cut back on toys otherwise I definitely would not be selling. Not sure why the clutch linkage is missing. Call me with any other questions. My cel# is on the ad. Still waiting for a firm quote on a new boiler from Jeff. He did the work on our 1907 30HP Advance at Albany, MN good for 138 lbs. Thanks, Kevin.

Beth V

Last Subscription Date
03/03/2018
Hey Kevin,

I understand on the farmland. How much is ground in your area? Ours has gone from $1500 for good ground to $4500 +++ in the last 10 years. Too many people selling ground for development and having to transfer it to avoid capital gains.

Hopefully, the 22 will find a good home close by. If I had the cash, it would come to Ottawa Lake & sit next to my Port...however, I don't think the hubby would get too excited..:uhoh:

Take Care!
Beth