• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. Be Considerate, this is an application to JOIN Smokstak, therefore it becomes part of a decision to open the door to you or send you off to the dropout file. Place your City, State, Country in the location box and it will be compared to where the internet lookup utilities say that you are. Don't give me a zip code to look up, the Eject button is much easier. We get hundreds of applications, so there is not time for monkey business.

22 Advance Steam Traction Engine on eBay

stfarms

Registered
Well it must be worth something for the minimum bid went up. I was thinking of bidding but the price is now too high. Perhaps one would be upsidedown on the value if you could get the engine for $20,000.00 then pay I would guess $15,000.00 for a boiler plus the extra stuff to get her piped and running.
Hey boiler builders, how much mucho dinero would it take to rebuild this boiler?:D

Ken Majeski

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/10/2019
Well... I'm not a Boiler Builder... But... I Tink you better Factor some Inflation into your New Boiler....:uhoh:

Beth V

Last Subscription Date
03/03/2018
The quote will depend on the size of boiler & how much work they/you have to do.

I have heard quotes of $30-40,000 for a 16 hp boiler on 2 different brands....and that doesn't include at least $5000 to remount the brackets.....add to that the increasing cost of steel......I do loans!:brows:

Beth

KevinS

Registered
Jeff would do a new 200psi boiler with straw arch for 30K plus 9K for remounting and plumbing. Contact Jeff for details if interested 507-276-6553. You'd have to let him know right away so he could schedule it in. Yes it's a lot of money, but you have basically a brand new steam engine when you're done since the gearing on this one is like new all around.

greysteam24hp

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/31/2013
I would guess the brand new boiler is the way of advantage of life time worry free. Better do now before the price go up in next 15 years. Price range will vary depending on welded boiler to riveted boiler. I understand the certified boiler stays and rivets(never use building rivets) are expensive by the an inch price.:eek: Boiler rivets and stays supplier from Chicago. Cost per foot of flue$$. Steel is soft material firebox steel where it flexed. I forgot what grade steel:shrug:
The deal would be a new boiler. You can deal with half of loan but most bank loan give 5,000.00. I am sure Beth would show you advantage on boiler loan.:shrug:
If you find a bad boiler with the excellent shape gearings and engine. Go for it. My goal number one is gears second is boiler. Brand new one of kind gear machining cost more than a boiler!!!
Moving Forward
Craig

stfarms

Registered
Still too much money I think. Lets do some math. 15000 plus 30000 plus 10000 is $55000.00 total strike a match price. So we do all of this to the engine this year and next year put engine up for sale and try to sell it for what you have into it. I would take bets that one would take a huge loss. There are not many people who have machines to roll boiler plate or install big rivets. There are quite a few that have machines that will pour iron and machine gears.
Paint hides a many sins. Nothing has been said here about the condition of the engine except for the boiler and the gearing and the missing clutch linkage. What about the rest of the $5 and $10 stuff that adds up to be $1000's of dollars plus time.
This is a scary situation. The price misrepresents the engine, and the condition of the engine is actually dangerous. I don't think it matters that the description says that the boiler needs work. Some inexperienced person may look at the starting bid and consider the boiler to be not that bad because the price is so high. Would the owner just say "Well I told them the boiler was bad when they bought it" after we all read in the paper about another steam accident? Would the $15,000.00 spend as well if such an incident would occur?
My opinion, if one is serious about selling this engine and the description of the condition is as is, then start the bidding at $3000.00 and watch it go from there.

smgussey

Registered
I agree with a $3k starting price as reasonable - I've had better luck auctioning online with a low starting price (even if the reserve is up there). It only takes two people willing to flex their checkbook to make an auction a success...

Beth V

Last Subscription Date
03/03/2018
The engine's owner places the current value--market may prove otherwise.

Any purchase you make can be a money pit. Kevin is being upfront with the known concerns. Buyer Beware applies to any purchase.

While $55,000+ sounds like a huge amount of money, everyone has the option to purchase or not purchase. I would gander a guess that if someone is going to the time & expense of putting a new boiler & clutch assembly on this engine, that they will not be putting it up for sale in the near future.

I have large investment in my engine, but it is well worth it to me. Value is in the eye of the beholder.

Beth

stfarms

Registered
Yes, value is in the eye of the owner, and yes I have a couple of tractors that have turned out to be money pits, and if I tried to sell them I would loose a bundle.

This thread is a great one because it brings up important issues. I was watching this auction thinking that perhaps I would bid on this engine. I was thinking that probably the boiler needed some stay bolts or tubes or something because the opening bid is at $15,000.00. I was even considering going to look at the engine which is about 800 miles from my home. Thanks to this forum and thread, and the authors of the correspondence contained here including that of who I am guessing to be the engine owner, I saved myself a bunch of time and money.
I have also purchased items off Ebay. Somethings were worth while while others were money jerkers. I would say it is a 50-50 gamble.

greysteam24hp

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/31/2013
I have heard and talked with a buyer who bought high price steam engine or tractor.The value may be too high in purchase. Cant sell it for less money for a long time. They want to keep things in a family longer.
:O

stfarms

Registered
Yes I think this has happened to all of us at one point in our old iron lives. I still have hit and miss engines that I restored when I was a kid.
Times are a bit different now. Back then there were a lot more of the old timers around to steer us young bucks in the right direction. Unfortunately those people are few and far between.
So the point is that one needs to determine where there interests are. If your interest is to invest money for a good return you should have started buying engines about 30 years ago.
Now getting started in this interest is difficult because of the age of the engines and the economy now. Some people only have so much money to work with. I'm one of those people so I have to be very careful. I do know for a fact what it feels like to spend the nest egg only to find out that it will take 4 times more than what you have to obtain your goal.

Believe me thats a big bummer!

Beth V

Last Subscription Date
03/03/2018
Dare I ask what ever happened with this engine? Has it found a new home where it will be restored properly?

Thanks
Beth