• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Be certain that you have spelled your email address correctly! Your account is then manually checked and approved.

Onan: 3.2HDZAA-6508A AKA QD3200

trukinbear

Registered
Hi guys I'm looking at a used 3.2HDZAA-6508A QD3200 (with 4 hrs) that I'm considering to use as a backup to charge my battery while I take the 10HDKAG down for service. I can adjust my SI6048 Inverter/Charger to pull no more than 25A from it... really close to the rating. Am I playing with fire wanting this to put out a continuous 25A for 4-6hrs a day?

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/10/2020
Hmmm, 3600 RPM and a 'cleanable oil screen' in lieu of a nice spin-on filter - they didn't care how long these lasted, did they?
Those two things right there- Question asked and answered! Sounds like junk to me....

Keith

trukinbear

Registered
Those two things right there- Question asked and answered! Sounds like junk to me....

Keith
Yeah, if it was actually used it would scare the whee out of me, but at 4hrs I'm not nearly as skiddish. Grandpa's 55 Chevy didn't have an oil filter and it still runs having never been overhauled. I suppose were you to maintain it properly I imagine it isn't as big of a deal as it sounds.

trukinbear

Registered
I also looked at a Kubota Lowboy II GL 7000 that was 3600 RPM, sounded so weird after listening to the HDKAG drone on at 1800

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/10/2020
If it was old and had no oil filter, or even 3600 rpm, I would agree. But modern things are all cheap crap to some degree, and definitely if they’re 3600 rpm screamers. ;)

Keith

trukinbear

Registered
The engine is Hatz, made in Germany it appears. I remember they used to be good engines. No oil filter but a 1.2qts you could certainly afford to change it often. And we are talking emergency backup for the prime HDKAG so it can be serviced, and occasional thereafter (unless for whatever reason we end up thinking it was perfect for our needs - what we have now is overkill).

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/10/2020
Well, I have to confess to talking in generalities only. It is possible that someone still actually makes a good high speed set. I would think German would be good. Certainly better than Chinese or Indian. But I really don’t know. It has been my impression and casual observation that there really are no good quality small sets being made like in “the old days”. Exceptions are possible! Hopefully someone with direct experience with that model can chime in. Might cruise your favorite search engine for reviews and see what pops up...

Keith

trukinbear

Registered
Looking at the service manual. This thing has an inverter? Also gives fuel consumption at 1, 2, 3 and 3.5 killowat power settings (0.38gph). This thing may not be 3600 RPM... more reading.

Wayne 440

Registered
I have no experience with the QD 3200 - but I do have considerable experience with using RV sets in non-RV applications. Most all of them would pull their rated load, but did not instill confidence that they would reliably do so for hours at a time. RV sets are intended for a light base load and intermittent heavier loading and for that type of use they are fine. But chugging away at near full load is not their strong point, put 5kw of battery charging load on a typical 6kW RV set and in a couple of hours it will bring a new meaning to the word "hot". I would not have confidence in that set at a continuous 25A load.

trukinbear

Registered
And has been substantially modified from its as built configuration.

The bottom line, load your sets as you see fit. You are the one
who has to keep them running.
I'm pretty sure that my modifications (electric 12v cooling fan), dual air filters, and removal of the lift pump did nothing to increase (probably decreased) its reliability, but were rather done in the interest in saving $.99/hr in fuel. I like that this is almost new with no hours to speak of and in my price range - everything else I've found in my price range has way more hours or is in general much worse running condition than my HDKAG. Since my generator and inverter are in series, with the generator running the inverter will use the power it produces (vs passing thru) up to its limit at 6kw before it uses additional generator output, otherwise, it's just pulling whatever charging current I designate. In the last year-and-a-half I do not have one recorded incidence of us using more than 6kw, or of the generator doing anything other than just charging the battery.

trukinbear

Registered
Hmm, people misinterpreting my circular logic way of working thru things may be why I haven't been on Smokstak this year...

trukinbear

Registered
With Cummins/Onan showing fuel consumption at 3.5kw I'd say if anything this unit is underrated. Permanent magnets, no exciter, no brushes, no voltage regulator (ok the cycloconverter does that), and since cycle isn't dependent on RPM it probably isn't really picky about that either. My Honda EB3000c was never operated *by me* at anything less than 3kw and performed flawlessly (I was impressed) with nothing you could do to it would make it vary from dead-on 60hz and 120v. But I digress...

Anbody have 2 cents to add about Hatz diesel engines?

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/10/2020
Fundamentally it is sort of a bummer to drive an AC generator, rectify to DC, then an inverter to AC, then supply (I presume) a synchronous inverter / converter to make DC again to charge the battery. Would be cool to have one of these permanent magnet generators outputting 50 ~ 60 volt DC right to your battery. :brows: I’ve seen Kohler ones for sale. But the sellers were mighty proud of them!

Keith