• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

3/4 scale Case 830 in the works

Culy

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/27/2010
hood

Got more done today. Made up the tank supports and the tank housing. Then went on to making the hood up. Finished up the hood lines this evening and rolled the edges. Hoping to finish the tank tomorrow and start on the dash. Only got one day to work on it this week and then a week of Portland. Planning on having it there to help drum up some more work. I need to spray the bare metal down with thin coat of clear coat to show that it is all metal and not filler on all the radius's. Usually pick up an order or two at P-land.

Attachments

Culy

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/27/2010
portland bound in disguise

Got it ready for Portland today. Shot a thin coat of clear to keep the rust from appearing. Made up a nice sign that flips open with the ? "What will I be when I grow up?" and a pic of an 830 inside. Put a small disguise on it to. :D Gotta have fun.

Attachments

Tom Nowak

Registered
Do you have an update on your little Case. I see on another post you maybe working on a different model? I really enjoy your posts about the models you build.

Culy

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/27/2010
Tom, the other posts pertain to the case build. I am working out some gearing and clutch options for the case. I picked up a nice 2 cylinder Wisconsin as shown in the other post looking for info. http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124196
Should be able to start stripping it down tomorrow to rid it of unneeded stuff. Finally finished up with the math for the gearing as it is quite a jump from a 7.50 x 16 tire to a 9.50 x 24 in overall circumference (95" to 129"). Found some good reference charts online for dims and did the calculations. Will have to run the engine @ 2000 rpm to a (transmission shaft) jack shaft rpm of 1473 rpm to match the tire dims and not have too fast of ride. Wasn't too bad to figure out as the orig trans was a direct shot from the engine and I will be stepping the speed down by a factor of .7365.
Will keep you guys in the loop when the sparks fly in the shop. Sometimes I think the engineering part is more tiresome than the actual build.

Culy

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/27/2010
engine fitting

Got back to the project finally after other jobs came in and did. Built the engine cradle to support the heavy Wisconsin 2 banger. Did run into a couple of hurdles that I will have to jump over. Just hope it isn't too high of a leap. I don't have much room for the steering shaft to be politically correct on its location but that's not a tall hurdle, just a practice jump. The worst one will be the rotation to the input shaft on the transmission. Evidently the ZZ briggs that would have been in it originally rotated opposite of the Wisconsin? The guys that answered my ??? about what the orig engine was in the old girl say it was a ZZ Briggs that direct coupled to the trans via clutch. Presently I have 3 reverses and one forward gear if I was to go direct. Did the ZZ's run opposite? The Wisc. runs clockwise looking at the flywheel. Oh well :O on with some pics!

Attachments

Culy

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/27/2010
Its been quite a while since I posted any progress on the Case project. So here goes. I've got about a week to week & a half of work on it to go and then get some paint on it. Took me long enough. Not used to taking so long on a build, but with working 2 jobs now-----I'm pooped when I get home.

Attachments

Culy

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/27/2010
It's getting closer to being done!
Maplehunter decals called yesterday and said my scaled down decals are on the way in the mail also.

Attachments

OTTO-Sawyer

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/15/2019
Very Nice !

Been hoping for some more updates, but I can understand the too-pooped to work on it with some of the long hours I used to work.

Glad to see you were able to get back at it though. As with your other models, it is a thing of beauty.

Culy

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/27/2010
Some pics from todays progress.
My son thought these tools would be appropriate to put the fenders on.

Attachments

Culy

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/27/2010
Assembly went good today and even got most of the wiring done. Just got make up some batt. cables, finish wiring the generator and finish bolting the hood and decals. This wiring is pos. ground and really messes with you when you are used to wiring for neg. ground. Wish I had a $ every time I had to stop and think about the placement of wires. Should have it up and running on its own on Sat. as this Fri. is stake your claim at Portland (homesteaders day) and wont get shop time. Seems like a wasted day.
BTW you ever do a stupid thing? I had a very nice steering wheel center made and ready to put on. Well, I went to the amish store to pick up a bushel of peaches this afternoon and left it sitting on the bed of the truck. It aint there no more. A guess a new one will be made.

Attachments