• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

3 hp Lister Type J

StuartUK

Registered
Re: 3 hp Lister type J

Yes they would be screwed into the water jacket.

---------- Post added at 09:27:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23:10 PM ----------

Actually i think they may be a push fit into the water jacket and a clamp (not shown on your picture) presses down on them to keep them in place.

Rick Lockridge

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/06/2019
Re: 3 hp Lister type J

Well, this engine doesn't have the clamp if it ever had one. And I'm not sure how it would attach?

Scotty 2

Registered
Hello all
To be honest I haven't seen that setup on a J before. Anymore pictures of the engine and makers tag?
Usually blind head J's and L's have 2 cast iron flange looking things held down with 2 bolts for each flange. One flange having the spark plug screwed into it as far as I knew.
Very interesting.

Cheers Scott

Foseng

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/24/2020
The "H" valve caps were similar at one time and because of their smaller size were retained by a strap held by one stud only instead of two.

Dave
Laoag City
Philippines