• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. Be Considerate, this is an application to JOIN Smokstak, therefore it becomes part of a decision to open the door to you or send you off to the dropout file. Place your City, State, Country in the location box and it will be compared to where the internet lookup utilities say that you are. Don't give me a zip code to look up, the Eject button is much easier. We get hundreds of applications, so there is not time for monkey business.

30RZ262 - Needs Identity

torro

Registered
Recently acquired a 30rz262 30kw generator with 1091 hrs, am looking for tech specs, manuals, schematics, essentially anything to help get to know the unit and service when required, have searched the web and oddly very little data available even local distributor has few details.

Thanks.

Isaac-1

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/12/2014
Can you post a photo including the controller so we know which vintage this particular unit is

LWB250

Registered
It's got to be an FR-II unit at minimum, which means it's a DEC-III controller of some flavor.

You can contact a distributor for manuals, just be sure to have the model and spec number when you do.

Dan

torro

Registered
Have not yet picked it up, Friday or Monday depending on weather so I have no idea what the controls looks like, as for manuals the distributor I spoke with didnt seem to optimistic I would be able to get anything of use due to age.

How old is this thing anyway?

I have included pics, hopefully these will help answer some questions.

Thank you.

Attachments

LWB250

Registered
You'll have to remove the doors so we can see the controller.

I'm sure it'a a DEC-III based on the model number and nameplate.

Dan

Isaac-1

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/12/2014

torro

Registered
Excellent, looks like I can start taking a closer look and surveying what needs to be repaired.

Anyone have info/experience on the quality and reliability of these units?

I guess want to make sure worth it before putting money in.

Thanks much for the manuals Isaac, if anyone has other technical manuals that would be of use they would be appreciated.

Merry Christmas.

Isaac-1

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/12/2014
I would consider them some of the best choices in major manufacturer generators in that size range. Old enough to not have too much environmental junk, new enough to still have good parts support. The Decision Maker 3 was also the point where Kohler got it right after the old Decision Maker 1 variants and the hated Decision Maker 2, add to all this the Fast Response II generator end and you have a great unit.

torro

Registered
Great, high praises thats reassuring. I will probably hold off on getting elbow deep until the Spring but use the Winter as time to read up.

Is there a better place than others for parts or is a general web search the best way to source components?

Also is the Ford Power Engine one of those that are generally covered by the Chilton manuals or a special item?

Thanks.

Isaac-1

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/12/2014
I have a similar vintage diesel powered 30ROZJ, so can't really comment on the ford engine other than what I have read, which is it is a fairly standard off the shelf engine. As to the rest I have thankfully not needed all that many parts for mine, and the parts I have bought have came from either ebay or partsfortechs.com . Mine was bought from a GL auction, and was left sitting outside with the exhuast open, so the engine had seized up, thankfully though I was able to get it freed up and it has ran mostly fine since then (4 or 5 years now). One thing I would suggest doing is chaging out all the engine parts that have rubber wear parts. I am not sure of the age of your geneator, but assume it is similar to mine (built in 1990), as I also have the older style vent cover, etc. This includes not only hoses, and belts, but also mechanical fuel pump if you have one, along with oil pressure senders, radiator cap, and probably also temperature senders. One of these items I missed changing out when I bought mine was the oil pressure pre-low alarm pressure sender, all this does is light a warning light, before you get to shut down low oil pressure which uses a different sender. Last year that sender failed in a rather dramatic way during a test run, I had previously noticed it was ooozing a bit of oil, then on a test run the oozing became a gusher, the rubber core of the sender had rotted out and and oil was shooting about 2 feet out from the side of the engine onto the battery. Other than the rubber wear items listed above, filters, etc. about the only things I have had to replace were the battery voltage meter (the needle fell off the old one at some point), and the front panel board that has all the warning lights and the switches, I was having problems with the switches not making good contact, causing shutdowns / or non-start situations.

Ike

p.s. I bought the replacement front panel board off ebay for about half the price it sells for at partsfortechs, oh I almost forgot I did have to change out the water pump a couple of years ago, it is a nearly 25 year old engine though, so I guess that is not too bad.

torro

Registered
Sounds good so far, I will look at all that when giving it a going over hopefully up and running when the Spring weather starts to roll in. Will keep posted.

pegasuspinto

Registered
Ford 2.3 liter so called 'pinto' engine but really when this was made it was the Mustang/Ford ranger 4 cyl engine. Should have a turbo. The LP version of this engine IMHO has some trouble getting to 30kw unless you let the turbo spool up, I'm not sure it would ever get there on natural gas. Replace the timing belt, same hard parts as a mid-80's ford mustang/ford 2.3 liter like I said.

Mayday642

Registered
Well that is a Decision Maker 3 controller (maybe 3+, but I am going to guess 3 given the color scheme and older style cooling vents on the generator end).

Here are some links to relevent or close to relevent (for the diesel powered cousins) manuals (note this web site will be going down after Jan 1, so grab them while you can)

http://smfoodservice.com/compressor/tp5700.pdf

http://smfoodservice.com/compressor/tp5750.pdf

http://smfoodservice.com/compressor/tp6353.pdf

I have the same generator can you repost these PDFs please