32hp Reeves #4390

Caleb Carpenter

Subscriber
I guess now is a good a time as any to start a thread for the resurection of 4390.
We have quite a bit of info on this engine from the time it was new. Don't know how accurate the info is just what we know as told in a letter by a previous owner and passed along by assuming Bud Wagner as he was the first collector to own the engine when he rescued it from its location on an old sawmill in the fifties.
I'll have to scan in the letter and photos that came with the engine for all to see. If anyone has any photos or stories about 4390, Bud Wagner or Charles smith we welcome you to post them. I hear Bud was quite the character. I'm up for suggestions and any guidance or thoughts also on bringing it back under steam.

During the show at Fairview OK. this past weekend we armed ourselves with oil, penatrating oil, prybars, cleaning tools and a grease gun. Within about 45 min we had it making full revolutions by hand and all the valve gear working freely:D
Played with a UT meter for an hour or so it looks REAL promising inside and out:brows: If it goes well Mr. Mcknight just might pull the throttle next May at Pawnee:wave:

I'll leave you guys with a picture of my son helping with undoing a chain on sunday after unloading. He insisted on riding in the truck while hauling and unhooking chains after we removed the binders. After all this is what its all about right?
Stay tuned, Caleb....

MoRo

Subscriber
Did she spend most of her life in the belt? The skid rings on the fronts sure look sharp!

Beth V

I'm not worried.....but the bigger tigger & eagle might be! I know you won't sell the little 13.:D

Beth V

..one down, one more to go and then you can have the little tigger & Reeves club again.:D

But seriously, Caleb, nice purchase. I look forward to seeing it come back under steam. Does the engine have the power steering?

Caleb Carpenter

Subscriber
Did she spend most of her life in the belt? The skid rings on the fronts sure look sharp!
Yes it was purchased by a group of men that ran a threshing ring. They got to fighting and sold it to two brothers that operated a sawmill and that where Bud wagner purchased it. So the only draw bar work was done from the 50's till 1988 at shows.
Steam Punk

When was this engine last under steam?
1988 and from the looks of pictures hauling it to Lawton Oklahoma it sad it sat outside in a museum

Beth V

But seriously, Caleb, nice purchase. I look forward to seeing it come back under steam. Does the engine have the power steering?
No powersteering Beth. We were hoping it did but one can only get so lucky:O

They're not real good to steer, but not real bad either, if moving (as with any engine). The 40hp Gaar Scott is the biggest bicep builder I've ever had hold of the steering knob of.

Greasing the worm gears and oiling the moving parts help. Gary:O

Caleb Carpenter

Subscriber
The guy we bought this from had a crew of guys helping us move antique trucks and museum items out of the way. One tried to turn the reeves wheel and stated it would be impossible to move without turning. I disproved him in about 5 min with a bit of oiling on the steering cross shaft and worm gear bearing. Biggest issue was the pinion shaft was froze up and she wouldn't roll at first.

---------- Post added at 09:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 AM ----------

Are Reeves hard to steer w/o power steering?
This engine weighs 35, 000#'s according to the grain elevator scales so its naturally going to be a bear to turn when not moving

Caleb Carpenter

Subscriber
Here's a photo of the engine in what looks to be the 80's. Anyone recognize anybody?

Im also including a letter written by Charles Smith on the history of the engine as told to him by Bud Wagner. I find the sold new in 1914 a little unbelievable because if this engine was built in 1907 there was still a good want for a large engine, or so i understand. :shrug:

And theres the ad in Iron Men someone brought up in the where are all the 32 reeves thread.

Attachments

Caleb,
Here's an apparent photo of 32hp Reeves cross compound #4390 setting at Bud Wagner's place and it appears he had a whistle collection on the back deck?

At left a Case 20-40 gas tractor, a Gaar Scott, the 32hp Reeves and a 50hp Case, near Des Moines, Iowa.

And, I don't find it so hard to believe a 1907 engine set at the plant that long. While there was still demand for the larger engines, the inventory was high too. By 1910, there was a detraction caused by the Canadian Special engines, which made the old lap seam engines not as desirable. Then by 1912, when Emerson-Brantingham bought Reeves & Company, the prairie was, for all intents and purposes, broken. I think Marshall Truman Reeves had a hunch that was happening and was elated to get out of his investment while it was still worth something? Lyle Hoffmaster used to say that he'd heard from company employees that there were large (new, unsold) engines being scrapped by this time, as the demand was pretty well gone by this time. And by 1916 or 17, they no longer listed the Canadian Special 32's, as they'd all sold and no new ones were being built. I'd loved to have been there to KNOW the real story.
Gary;)

Attachments

Caleb Carpenter

Subscriber
I wont own it to just show it, gota work it like it was meant to do! With the way its shaping up I think it will get full pressure so maybe it'll give the 110 a run for its money:D.