• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

35-70 Nichols Shepard

LeRoy IHC

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
03/07/2018
Hi Everyone
Does anyone know of one of these tractors that are currently torn apart awaiting restoration. I'd like to come look at any parts of the engine even if they are broken. I have a customer that wants us to take measurements so we can build foundry patterns to pour a new crankcase. His tractor is missing the crankcase.
Any help someone can give will be greatly appreciated. I will be traveling to look at a tractor that is complete which will help, but it would be nice to look inside a crankcase that is apart.
Happy Holidays
LeRoy

FWurth

One Millionth Post
Last Subscription Date
07/29/2019
You must be working on my old 35-70. He needs to make more than just the crankcase, but I'm glad to hear that he's getting started on it. As to any other tractors, there's only 2 other units out there. The one at Rollag and the other one that Oscar Cook had. Both are complete and running. I seriously doubt that you can take either of those apart to blueprint. I gave up on that idea years back for those very reasons. Might check if the original drawings might still exist, maybe with the rest of the N&S history? Charles city? More likely you will have to reverse engineer it like they did with the Bathtub D. There are 2 old style 25-50s that are apart And they are very similar only smaller, that will be your most likely course. Blue print that one and scale it up to match the known dimensions of the 35-70. PM me if you want to, Frank

Ross Clarke

Registered
Last Subscription Date
10/06/2016
Back in the 60s my Dad took us to Dave Shearn's in NY.
I remember he had a frame for a Nichols tractor in the yard.
No idea what size or what happened to it.

FWurth

One Millionth Post
Last Subscription Date
07/29/2019
That was a later style 25-50. It was apart but mostly all there. I would have bought it but was trying to raise a family and funds were short! So it went to a fellow collector in western KS. As far as I've heard it's still there. That tractor is considerably lighter design with a different design motor. Back when we were just starting out collecting ( 45 yrs ago) those one off orphan makes didn't bring the big money that they command today, of course any spare loose change was hard to come by as well! :shrug: There were several of those one off types that were available back then that I let get away, If I had today would be worth mega bucks today. Hind sight.

FWurth

One Millionth Post
Last Subscription Date
07/29/2019
Oscar's went to Chicago then resold to the collection in Bridgeport Conn.

Randy Kvill

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
Leroy, have you considered 3 D scanning. Have had some going on around here. The scans can be cleaned and adjusted to create a pattern. Not sure if the cost is at a point yet that will be affordable or not for something that size, although I know of some parts that are rather large that have been done, more affordable than some of the traditional methods. They came out fabulously. Should show a picture of one, but don't have it on my computer right now.

Mitch Malcolm

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
01/14/2020
Dakota foundry in webster SD recently 3D printed the main housing casting pattern in sand for the 150 hp case steam engine project .. Might want to check with them!

Randy Kvill

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
This is a gear that used the scan and print technology. It is about 1.5 feet in diameter. in fact everything on the pallet that you see was done that way.

Attachments

FWurth

One Millionth Post
Last Subscription Date
07/29/2019
Of the 35-70, Two complete ones and a rolling chassis. All later versions. I got the rolling Chassis from Oscar Cook before his passing. It was basically the frame and wheels and a few small parts for the engine, no gearing. That chassis has since had 3 different owners, it currently resides in northern IL. The 25-50 that was also sold by Oscar was recently sold at Aumann's pre 30s sale this past spring. Every one that had these tractors has made good money selling them, except me!