• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

35 hp Bessemer Commercial Engine

Brave

Registered
Another project into him. She’s stuck but I think all the pieces are there. Should be fun.

Attachments

Brave

Registered
Got her trucked in last year from South Carolina. Was told that she ran a compressor unit. Any help on identifying this and other information,
Building a skid for her so I can start working to unstick her.

Attachments

Brave

Registered
She fits perfect on it. It’s almost too pretty. I know that I’m going to have to repaint it after it’s all said and done.

Attachments

Brave

Registered
Finally got her freed up late yesterday. Used a small bottle jack to push the piston to bottom of center. Cleaned the cylinder walls with emery cloth, applied lots of oil then chained the forklift to the fly wheel and pull it back forward. Looks nice inside. Now to pull the piston and clean the rings. I think she’ll be a good runner.

Attachments

Brave

Registered
Pulled the piston. Has some debris behind it. Not sure what all this stuff is? Or, how it got there. Worked about an hour tapping on the rings with penetrating a while to get them loose.

Attachments

Dwayne Fuller

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Dwayne said "Looks like it is progressing great. That flaky stuff is carbon or "coke" that has built up behind the rod gland. Clean it out and make sure the ports to the exhaust are open. May have to burn the carbon out of there. Also, if re-using the old rings, be sure to put them in the same ring groove that they came out of. And lastly, be sure to clock the piston like it was when you pulled it out. Just some friendly pointers. Keep up the good work."

Brave

Registered
Dwayne said "Looks like it is progressing great. That flaky stuff is carbon or "coke" that has built up behind the rod gland. Clean it out and make sure the ports to the exhaust are open. May have to burn the carbon out of there. Also, if re-using the old rings, be sure to put them in the same ring groove that they came out of. And lastly, be sure to clock the piston like it was when you pulled it out. Just some friendly pointers. Keep up the good work."
Awesome! Thank you so much for typing this and tell him I’m always open and appreciative of anything he can share. I hope he gets better soon and I hope he can come down to help me start them when he feels better. Thanks

Brave

Registered
Cleaning up the bearings on the crank. Emery cloth, decreasing, and reassemble

Attachments

Brave

Registered
Removed air/gas intake unit. Lots of problems here. Lots of rust and water damage. Springs and baffles will need to be replaced.

Attachments

Brave

Registered
Intake baffles and springs. Will have to have housing machined and lapped. Will replace springs with new and have baffle plates waterjet cut.

Attachments