• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Your account is then manually checked and approved. There is too much funny business on the web for us to do otherwise. Be sure to use a working email address and do not use cloaking or anonymous web connections.

35hp superior questions

Rich Hudak

Registered
I am soon get a 35 superior. It is a late one with the small plate on front of the head. tag is present along with the crank guard and the factory cast iron side shaft gear guards. it has a bolt on clutch, my question is, how high do the serial numbers go? this one is 20,xxx., any hints on production dates. also, I have the chance to buy a 35 superior with flat mounted main bearing caps, is that an early one? the head plate is large with no markings. thanks.

I don't think much is known about Superior numbers and production dates. I have a 35 HP # 92XX that belonged to my grand-dad, but I don't know when he got it. It looks identical to the drawings or woodcuts in an original illustrated parts list that is copyright 1906. It has the large head plate with no markings and has angled main bearing caps. It has the short crankshaft with a flanged clutch-side flywheel with bolt on clutch. It doesn't have any words cast into any of the parts. I don't think it has any numbers, either. The small tag on the cylinder says Superior Gas Engine Toledo, Ohio 35 HP. RPM is blank. About 160 RPM is probably plenty for one of these things. I have a parts engine that has a 20XXX serial number that has the long crankshaft and no flange on either flywheel. I have no way of knowing for sure if the cylinder had been changed out, but I think it definitely has, so the number doesn't mean much. The head, plate, and valve boxes are aftermarket items from 4F foundry, Tulsa, Okla. The cylinder may be, too. The tag may or may not go with the engine. I do think the cylinder is the original one on the engine my granddad had and that the serial number is correct for it. My best guess is that the basic casting patterns and layout of the open crank 25, 35 & 40 HP 4-cycle Superiors goes back to about 1906, and that production continued to around 1920 or 1925. I have not heard of any numbers over about 22XXX on the large 4 cycles.

MAB0424

Registered
I don't think much is known about Superior numbers and production dates. I have a 35 HP # 92XX that belonged to my grand-dad, but I don't know when he got it. It looks identical to the drawings or woodcuts in an original illustrated parts list that is copyright 1906. It has the large head plate with no markings and has angled main bearing caps. It has the short crankshaft with a flanged clutch-side flywheel with bolt on clutch. It doesn't have any words cast into any of the parts. I don't think it has any numbers, either. The small tag on the cylinder says Superior Gas Engine Toledo, Ohio 35 HP. RPM is blank. About 160 RPM is probably plenty for one of these things. I have a parts engine that has a 20XXX serial number that has the long crankshaft and no flange on either flywheel. I have no way of knowing for sure if the cylinder had been changed out, but I think it definitely has, so the number doesn't mean much. The head, plate, and valve boxes are aftermarket items from 4F foundry, Tulsa, Okla. The cylinder may be, too. The tag may or may not go with the engine. I do think the cylinder is the original one on the engine my granddad had and that the serial number is correct for it. My best guess is that the basic casting patterns and layout of the open crank 25, 35 & 40 HP 4-cycle Superiors goes back to about 1906, and that production continued to around 1920 or 1925. I have not heard of any numbers over about 22XXX on the large 4 cycles.
This is an old thread but I just purchased a 35 HP Superior with serial number 1920 and would like to gather any information I can as to year of manufacture etc.

Fred Van Hook

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
11/05/2019
There is a man in Flat Rock Illinois that probably has some info but I don't know how to get a hold of him.... He has a lot of knowledge of the Superior and OOC engines.. His name Is Richard Westley and the last that I knew he still helped repair and maintain the two 35 H.P. Superiors on the Tohill lease.. I have a few movies of them running and they run 24/7....

Welcome to the Stak....

Bob Willman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/16/2020
Four cycle or two cycle? I have a 2 cycle #23939 that I believe was manufactured somewhere in the mid 1930's. It is not in the 1930 National Supply catalogue but is in the 1939 catalogue. I do not know if Superior had serial numbers assigned for each horsepower or if serial numbers were assigned sequentially regardless of horsepower. National Supply purchased the Superior Gas Engine Company in the early 1930's. The 1917 National Supply catalogue lists Toledo, Ohio on the cover. They had several other locations also.
The 1917 catalogue lists specifications for the 35hp 4 cycle oil country type as 190rpm, 14 1/2 X 20 bore/stroke, 66" flywheels, weight 8000 pounds and it shows an external crank shaft bearing support outside the pulley and clutch.

Bob
WB8NQW