40 Gaar Scott Restoration

Jerred Ruble

I created a web page on the restoration of the 40 Gaar Scott. It will be a long project, but the hardest part is now done, the projected stated this past weekend. Still hoping to having it done by this year's Heritage Park September show

I will post updates as progress progresses.

Jerred

Emma

Thanks for the web page! :wave:Can't wait to see it steamed up at Heritage Park! Hopefully this Sept.!:D

Casemaker

Great pictures and progress.....you better watch Lawrence ...... if you dont watch him he will be putting in CASE pistons....to get a little more HP ! :)

G Willikers

Sponsor
Jerred,
Great web site for a fantastic project!:O
And Gary - notice that Jerred calls it the motor!:O Although I think he slipped and called it an engine once!:D
Onkel G.

Eric W B

Great site Jerred!!! It was a pleasure to work on it last weekend, I will be back soon but will spend the next few weekends at Lawrence's helping as much as I can on the 40's engine. It was very neat to remove parts and expose surfaces then stand back and think no one has seen what I am looking at for 100 years!
Thanks
Eric

GaarScott

Well I guess that goes for keeping this under lid for a bit. Yes, I have the 40hp GaarScott motor sitting on my trailer. The first piece of business is to build a suitable table in which to sit the 6,000 lbs. plus motor onto. How do we know how much the motor weighs...simple, we stopped off at a truck stop and ran the load of the scales. I already know what my empty weight is, so it wasn't too hard to figure out what the motor weighed. Which surprisingly weighed a whole lot more then I would have guessed.

As Eric will contest to, since he rode out to Jerred's and back again, our trip back following the previous day's ice storm turned a normal 2-1/2 hour drive into 7 hours. Eric had said we hadn't spent much time together for a while...now I think he has had his fill for a bit.:D

I will be keeping Jerred apprised of the progress on the motor and in turn I'm sure he will post any new photos I send to him to his new 40hp GaarScott website.

I was and am pleased to be involved in such a project. I hope that I don't fail Jerred in some way by not doing the kind of job that he expects. Don't be surprised if you folks get a question or two from me about what would be a good direction to go. A lot of you have a whole lot more experience in restoring motors than I do. Anyway, it will be a fun project to be aqcuainted with.

Lawrence

GaarScott

Mike,

Not yet, I did pull the rig over to the shop yesterday and wash all of the Iowa/Minnesota salt off of the truck, trailer, and most importantly, the 40hp motor. As I was telling Jerred last night on the phone, the motor hadn't ever been subjected to salt before...why make it endure it now!

As for why I hadn't started on tearing down the motor yet. I had some things I had to finish up last week before I start devoting my time to the restoration of such a cool project. I'm planning to put the motor into the shop today. I'm also building a heavy bodied table to support the weight of the motor. That will take about a day or so. I have some 3/8" plate that I need to stitch together to get a table 3' wide by 8' long. I'm going to add six 1,500 lbs. wheel casters to the table so I can move the motor more easily around the shop.

Anyway, I'll keep you all abreast of any "real" progress I start making. On a similar note...I'm looking for a shop that can braze the broken half out of the 'A' arm support and weld in pieces to build up the teeth on the crank pinion. Anybody have suggestions for me for the Minnesota/Iowa area. I plan to contact Jim Briden and getting a quote from him. Anybody know of any others that can do the same work? Thanks.

Lawrence

Lawrence,
This was that last day in September 1956 when she had smoke emitting from the smokestack. That's my friend, the late Walt Mehmke, standing on the side tank and he was in charge of her that day. Different people took turns in the crows nest. I did get a snippet of 16mm footage with the late Gwen Tyler up there steering. She was "Grampy" Tyler's little queen and in Mike Tyler's class, one year ahead of me, at Moore High School. She is shown sitting in the plaid shirt at left on the coal bunker. She succumbed horribly to MS.

I for one will be following the progress and will be darn anxious to see smoke emitting from the smokestack again!
Gary:O

GaarScott

Gary,

Nice photo...and the additional information about the photo and other particulars is great. This is definately an exciting project to be involved in. Thanks again for the photo and such. I would have thanked you on your post, but I'm out of "thanks" and half the time when I can thank someone, I can't. My new computer and software doesn't always want to work so well with Harry's site. It is a crap shoot for me whether a thanks will stick or not. Anyway, "Thanks"!

Well I better get out to the shop. I have been getting price quotes for material and work that I can't do in my shop this morning...hence why I'm still on the computer. But I need to get some "physical" things done now. Later.

Lawrence

Lawrence

JBoogie

lawrence,

for your busted cast iron pieces, i've had surprisingly excellent results with the squirt gun (mig/wire). i only use it on things that don't need to be machined afterword, as you will get quite a bit of carbide precipitation since gray iron has such a high carbon content, if you tried machining the deposited bead you would likely wipe out tungsten carbide cutters. it is a strong fusion joint and is pretty easy. just make sure that your parts are properly beveled (leave a land at the root so you don't burn thru), preheat, peen, and post heat. if you don't believe me find some scrap, bevel it and run some test pieces, let cool and whack with a hammer or drop on floor.:D

as for your pinion, you could do what the old timers did.... make a template, build up worn teeth, and dress down to template.

a method i use for making gear teeth templates is to find a piece of light gauge scrap sheet metal (20ga.), fold piece in half, trace not worn side of tooth, cut on your tracing, fold piece open and hammer it flat and boom you have one whole tooth. now transfer that to a heavier piece of sheet metal, cut/grind and you have your template to grind to. you could likely make the template faster than it took me to write the directions. it's quick, accurate and fairly idiot proof, which is why i use it.

for building up the pinion i would use a machinable cast iron rod (addifix or similar), as you don't want the teeth to be so hard the chew up the driven gear. fastenal has a good selection of cast iron electrodes BUT they are not cheap (high $nickel$ content). last time i got them it was $15 for a 4 pack or 5/32" stick electrodes.

hope this helps

19-65Port

That is a very large ammount of power to go through a welded up pinon If I had to guess i would say that engine is going to do some plowing not just sit and smoke. I know a few guys in the barn in my yard that can help you with welding and gear problems. And one of the guys has lots of time around big Garr Scott doubles

Mike McKnight

On a similar note...I'm looking for a shop that can braze the broken half out of the 'A' arm support and weld in pieces to build up the teeth on the crank pinion. Anybody have suggestions for me for the Minnesota/Iowa area. I plan to contact Jim Briden and getting a quote from him. Anybody know of any others that can do the same work? Thanks.

Lawrence
Lawrence,
He's not in the MN/IA area, but Harold Stark did a BEAUTIFUL job building up some gear teeth that had been broken off of my differential ring gear on my 60 HP Case. I don't think anyone would have to twist his arm too hard to work on some parts of one of the last remaining Big 40 Gaar-Scott engines, either!!!!!! I would bet he'd like that. :)

As another thought, have you thought about trying to find some parts off of a 25 HP DRM? Most all of the parts will interchange, with the exception of the "engine proper". (Still can't bear myself to call it a "motor". :bonk: ) Just a thought!

Mike