• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

40 hp Case selling at auction Sept.16th and condition

Robert M

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/06/2011
Does anyone know the condition of the early 40 Case to be sold at Heritage Park ? (thought 'd try and reword the thread) thanks !

Colin

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/13/2013
I just looked at the pictures, its not a 40, but pretty early 12(36) hp. looks about the age of one that Andersons just bought. 1902-05ish?
nice complete looking unit. :brows: someone else will have to speak for the boiler though :shrug:

GaarScott

Registered
Last Subscription Date
05/26/2009
Colin,

I'm going off of memory right now, but I believe it still has its tag, and if so, it is a 40hp according to that. I'm going to be on the grounds later this morning, I'll check. Not that I will be able to answer whether or not it is, I won't have access to the internet till most likely Sunday.

Lawrence

Colin

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/13/2013
yes it could have any tag stuck on it. but this engine should have a thick brass tag with just the serial # on it. Kind of too bad its not advertised right. but doesn't really make a difference to someone wanting a smaller engine.
when did it last run?

Robert M

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/06/2011
Colin,

It has been advertised poorly, I would have at least been interested had someone shared its condition, last time it was run, and a little about the boiler. Perhaps no one knows.

thanks for your post

Beth V

Last Subscription Date
03/03/2018
Perhaps there is a reason for the minimal information?:shrug:

Robert M

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/06/2011
I did a little homework (spoke with the owner) and the last time the engine was run was about ten yrs. ago. He stated that he feels the engine to be a nice little engine overall, and I would assume with the lap it would be rated at 100 lbs. or lower. (That's what I think, don't hold me responsible for possible bidding actions, your on your own.)

isubsmith

Registered
Last Subscription Date
07/08/2011
Does anyone catch who/where the new buyer is?

If the boiler was in even "reasonable" shape, $15k seemed cheap to me. It was being sold by Ron Holland.

I was surprised at how low the 28 Cat went too ($2k).

The Ford racer went for either $6100 or $6200. The Doctor's buggy went for $1100. The very nicely restored Ford Jubilee went for $3700. At that point, they were preparing to pull the 40 Gaar Scott with the Marshall engine so I left the auction area. The auction was still going at 6:30pm when I went to dinner, but they must have spent over an hour on each of the two trailers-of-random-stuff before the big ticket items.

Robert M

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/06/2011
If you had to put a new boiler under it $15,000.00 wouldn't look so cheap to

me. My guess is that it will stay to home, didn't sell. ;)

Haven't we seen this engine at auction on here before?

Last edited:

isubsmith

Registered
Last Subscription Date
07/08/2011
Ron said he had owned it for about 12 years, so it would have been a while ago if it was auctioned before...?

I have a picture of the serial number plate, but he thought it was incorrect and the engine was actually older than the plate suggested.

SN claims it to be 27880.

Robert M

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/06/2011
Brian, Colin knows his engines better than I, but with the square front axle, lap seem on the lower left side, and a few other things, I would agree with Colin that it is in fact a 12-36.

I just thought maybe we had seen it offered on this very sale in the last couple of years. Thanks for your comments.

Robert

Last edited:

isubsmith

Registered
Last Subscription Date
07/08/2011
Oh, I definitely don't claim to have any idea on the spotting differences on a 40hp vs a 12-36 :) , other than this engine (which was claimed to be a 40hp and the serial number plate said 40) looks *way* different than the 40hp I'm used to at our show, and primarily some of the stuff you mentioned looked funny to me.

Sounds like maybe that's part of the claim that the SN plate might be incorrect?

As for being up for auction before, dunno. Maybe it didn't meet reserve or something? Ron said he had had it for ~12 years.

Joseph Graziana

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
06/30/2019
I tell that colin is right and can prove it real fast just take some casting numbers off it and go to the cast parts book. Because 40hp parts will not fit on 36hp engines. their may be a few little things but the big items won't fit.