• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Be certain that you have spelled your email address correctly! Your account is then manually checked and approved.

43 Year Long Plans for 1881 Case 10 HP Steam Engine!

1881case10hp

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
10/18/2019
It has taken 43 years but the 1881 Case portable 10 HP steam engine I first saw as an 8 year old boy is now mine. I'm so happy I could dance on air!

This particular engine was rescued from a river bottom where it lay submerged in the mud for 30 years or so but its amazingly complete and sound.

After rekindling my relationship with the owners family after a 40 year break, it took me three visits from Arizona to the Midwest to even get the old gentleman to let me into the barn where it has been stored for the last 53 years, as he had grown so emotionally attached to it...

For 18 months I worked on convincing the fellow to let me restore it for him and offered to donate my labor to the project. He and his wife treated me very kindly after my Mother passed suddenly when I was 8 years old and treated me like one of their own. To return the kindness, I wanted to help fulfill this mans dream of getting it restored and for them to see their engine run while they were still around to enjoy it.

Very suddenly during the course of a phone conversation about what my intentions for the project were, he said: "Well, Why don't I just give it to you?" I was floored and almost speechless. That was never my intention, but he went on to say that he several other projects underway at the time and perhaps the best person to have it would be me.

I am picking it up in November.

It needs a smokebox door with the "Old Abe" eagle and a firebox door and a set of wooden wheels and, and, and...

Although I have been restoring everything under the sun for the last 38 years, am a skilled welder, metalworker, fabricator, mechanic, scrounger, and picker, this is my first steam project. I hope to get a lot of help from those of you on the forum. I sure am counting on it.

Let the adventure begin!

Tore Blom

Registered
Last Subscription Date
07/19/2013
Re: 43 year long plans for 1881 Case 10 HP now begins!

What a wonderful reading. I can imagine your excitement. Good luck.

GaarScott

Registered
Last Subscription Date
05/26/2009

That's awesome, best of luck with your project!

Lawrence

30Advance

Registered

Sounds like a really fun project! Reminds me of my 30hp. Advance Cross Compound. I played on it at age 4, and 23 years later the "Strawberry Engine", as it was called, was sitting at our ranch! I was as excited as a little kid at Christmas when I got the winning bid. I was also as nervous as a cat on a hot tin roof thinking of how I would pay for it:eek:. It all worked out and I sure enjoy the engine today.

Lots of Luck!
Dave

Tim Colwell

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
gratis

I recall reading about this in past threads. Good luck and keep us updated! :wave:

Widgeon

Registered

Very neat story, thanks for sharing and looking forward to seeing the results.:D

Tim Colwell

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
gratis

Might as well cast all new parts for this carcas. You know what they say if it casts a shadow it can be restored! :O :wave:

Good luck can't wait to see it completed!

Tim

Attachments

1881case10hp

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
10/18/2019

Might as well cast all new parts for this carcas. You know what they say if it casts a shadow it can be restored!
Too funny! :rotfl: I love it! Although I didn't know a shadow was required.

SteamLoco726

Registered

Why would a portable have cleats? Was this a hybrid traction with horse steering??? Neat little engine!

1881case10hp

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
10/18/2019

There was also a set of wooden wheels for it. But over the years they were loaned out and never came back. It was very disappointing to learn that. :(

Tim Colwell

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
gratis

The one in my pic I posted (actually Gary Y's) also originally had wood front wheels and was a traction. And was running into the fifties when a collector robbed it for parts for his similar case. :shrug:

I think there is one of this same vintage at Brooks Oregon and Mt. Pleasant Iowa.

Last edited:

1881case10hp

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
10/18/2019

any idea who/where etc. in Mt Pleasant, IA? It would be great to get a look at an assembled unit and I wont be that far from there next month. Old #1 Used to be on display at the Smithsonian but I think its been put back in storage.

Very nice project! The one that was at Old Threshers this year is owned and restored recently by Wayne Kennedy. I got a few pics of it I will post if I can recover them from my old phone

Tim Colwell

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
gratis

The one at Brooks is a traction 8hp 1880 same smoke box door as #1
The one at Mt. Pleasant is a traction 12hp 1886 lacks the preheater that the first one has only huge difference to me but I know there's more.

Attachments

Pete LaBelle

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/15/2013

There used to be a similar engine up in Sault Ste Marie, MI, at a private closed museum, in the early 80's. It moved to Traverse City, MI, in the late 80s, and sold at sealed bid auction (along with a little Russell) in the late 80's or early 90's. If I recall, it went to some camping grounds of sorts in southern Michigan, and the two were parked on a hill for display. Not sure the where abouts today.

I do recall the rear wheels had mild cleats on them, but the engine was definitely only a portable. If memory serves me right, it had a half smoke box door without any graphics, the engine had a flat bar cross head. Don't recall a smoke stack. It was definitely an oldie !

Pete

JBoogie

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/12/2013

Did those engines go to The Stagecoach Stop in the Irish Hills area? If so the Russell is in Perrysburg, OH don't know about the Case. Case is No. 1885

Attachments