• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Your account is then manually checked and approved. There is too much funny business on the web for us to do otherwise. Be sure to use a working email address and do not use cloaking or anonymous web connections.

43 Year Long Plans for 1881 Case 10 HP Steam Engine!

Tim Colwell

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
gratis
Re: 43 year long plans for 1881 Case 10 HP now begins!

Have you considered just making another rear wheel? Pat Detwiler could do it. He does excellent work. Also are you missing the original smoke box door and ring?

Keep us updated on this excellent project.

---------- Post added at 10:10:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08:01 AM ----------

Never mind I just read your initial post looks like making an original set of wooden wheels would be easier.

1881case10hp

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
10/18/2019

Yes, it is missing the smokebox door & ring.

Unfortunately the termites got to the two rear wooden wheels while in storage.

This wheel issue certainly is a part of the project I didn't anticipate. So right now I'm in the midst of making a steam box. I have cut a length of 1/4 sawn oak to make another felloe. The circular steel 1/2 round in the lower portion of the picture is the form to shape the hot oak when it come out of the steam.

The fabrication shop that has my drawings has had some equipment breakdowns on top of a very busy year so they have been unable to get to making my parts and since it's a buddy deal... I also had a surgery this year (nothing serious) and that took about 6 months to fully recover from, so there was no reason to get excited about not having the parts. With patience and perseverance I have faith that things will turn out as they should when they should.

LAKnox

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/15/2016

Given that there a number of wheelwrights around the country, did you think about shipping the old wheels to one and having new ones built? I know cost is a factor, but so is =time=. :)

BTW, this is looking great! I sure need to take some time and come up and see it.

Lyle

1881case10hp

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
10/18/2019

Termites won't get to these babies. Four NOS wheels + nos wagon parts and two steel axles set up for timken bearings (new bearings included). Not crazy about the brass hub frets but I don't have to use them. Dropped off the axle at the fabrication shop and will be delivering my rear wheel support bracket to them next week. Will be using the original support bracket for a template to create a replacement the scrappers got off the right side 116 years ago.

1881case10hp

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
10/18/2019

A little heat

Friend with a 2 1/2" wrench and a strong back

And the wheel is off

1881case10hp

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
10/18/2019

Maybe the first time this has been off in 136 years. 3 broken bolts-to be expected not a big deal.

Not bad condition considering it age and history. Unless someone has a spare right side axle support they want to part with, these are off the fabrication shop to serve as a template for a reproduction.

Mike McKnight

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/20/2020

Maybe the first time this has been off in 136 years. 3 broken bolts-to be expected not a big deal.

Not bad condition considering it age and history. Unless someone has a spare right side axle support they want to part with, these are off the fabrication shop to serve as a template for a reproduction.

Have you thought about sending the original to a foundry and getting one cast from it? That way you would have all the casting numbers, etc. in it and would probably make it appear more original that a fabrication. Just a thought!
Mike

1881case10hp

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
10/18/2019

I hadn't considered that Mike. Although I think it might be a budget buster, now that you mention it I'm going to look into it. Google shows a foundry 6 miles from me.

---------- Post added at 11:26:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21:36 AM ----------

Inside view

Casemaker

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/04/2020

how big is that part ? how heavy is it ? Let me know and i can give you an estimate.

1881case10hp

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
10/18/2019

The axle mount plate is 17" x 17" with the bottom flange being about 4" and weighs 62 lbs.

The skein mounting plate is 12" dia and the Skein is 21" and both together weigh 70 lbs

---------- Post added at 12:29:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25:39 PM ----------

The parts book shows a left and a right. I'm not sure casting the left side would work for the right. One reason why I had planned to have it fabricated was to account for that. I may have to remove the right hand wheel and homemade wheel bracket and see if the other side fits.

sawiley

Registered

The left and right part numbers may refer to the axles themselves, a common trick was to use left hand threads on the hub nuts on the left side, so that they'd continually spin themselves tight instead of loose. The part numbers would then be separate to differentiate between the threads.

sawiley

Registered

From the 1909 Case Parts List:

44 1/2 - Engine frame and heater, 8 H. old style square bottom boiler

164 1/2 - Axle plate, 8, 10, 12 H., square bottom boiler; also 10, 12, and 16 H. center crank, portable

174 - Axle arm and hub, 8, 10, 12 H., right or left hand (give engine number)

The single part number for the axle, with left or right specified, suggests one casting, with threads cut either way. Plate has no left/right information, so should be identical.

I'd definitely look into casting, the amount of machine work to make a fabrication look close to a casting will likely make the cost a wash. I would think about ductile vs. gray iron, though, and also perhaps building up the original and casting two sets, so that both sides of the engine are like new, since you're this far in already.

---------- Post added at 07:27:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:22:34 PM ----------

A little lower down...

181 - Nut for hind axle (state whether left or right hand)

1881case10hp

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
10/18/2019

Case parts catalog No. 122 shows PN 1033c Axle Plate Right Hand, 1034c Axle Plate Left Hand-all except 18 & 30hp. We did some further measuring today, starting from the outside lower left, the bolt holes progressively get about 1/4" farther apart from each other. If you look at the picture above carefully you can see this and the faint outline of "34" cast into it at the center upper right. Also, the cast pads on the back side get progressively thicker from front lower left to the last one on the lower right. For now going to fabricate the RH from plate. I have a feeling that once the engine gets out in front of the public, eventually a cast RH axle plate will find it.

I received contact today from a Gentleman from this forum who has a smokebox door. Unfortunately, there is a strong possibility his is for a larger boiler, but we had a great conversation about old engines, and how can ya not like that?

sawiley

Registered

I suspect you're not looking at the right parts list... Parts list 122 is an addendum to the 1922 Parts List, and a 1910 parts list I have states that they eliminated a lot of older parts from the published list with that edition. The 1909 list I mentioned above has an entire section on "no letter" castings for old-style side crank engines, as well as a section of "C" castings for side crank spring-mounted simple and compound engines.

The illustration plate for no-letter 164 1/2 and 174 show parts very much like both the later parts and your parts, they may have reused the basic design and given it a new number, and what I see in the posted pictures does look more like "164 1/2" than "1034C" to me, but you have the part in your hand.

The bosses on the back side of the casting may have been cast longer, and then ground down to fit. Several manufacturers did things like that to compensate for variations in boilers, castings, and machining, as well as avoiding rivet and staybolt heads.

I'd be willing to scan/xerox pages from the 1909 parts book for you, if you like.

1881case10hp

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
10/18/2019

I'd be willing to scan/xerox pages from the 1909 parts book for you, if you like.
Thank you very much for the offer. I would love to see the info you have and I have sent you an email with my contact info.

Casemaker

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/04/2020

i would guess the skein and plate could be recast for around $200. Using orig parts as the patterns would result in some shrinkage issues (1/8 inch per 12 inches)

1881case10hp

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
10/18/2019

Great Scott!(wiley) It fits the right side.
The standoffs would have to be shimmed or ground but the bolt pattern works.

sawiley

Registered

35 scanned parts lists pages are now sitting in Butch's inbox...

1881case10hp

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
10/18/2019
Thread Closing

When I first joined the forum I did not have the ability to post pictures directly on the forum, so I used the 3rd party Photobucket to host the pictures. We can all see what happened with that, and I'm not going to pay Photobucket $120.00 a year to host, so I have asked Harry our Admin to take down my threads. I will start new ones. Before this one goes away, I wanted to say Thank You to all who expressed an interest in the project.

As it stands now I am waiting (and waiting) on the machine shop to finish the new wheel axle stub assembly. One side is nearly done and was in the lathe last week when I stopped by, but since it's a buddy deal I can't really push the issue, so I will continue to be patient. I think he's overbuilding them but he's the expert so I defer to his judgement.

Thanks again for your interest and I will start a new thread when soon.

Steve Kunz

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/23/2020

I was just looking at this thread again yesterday and was going to give it a bump to see if you have made any progress!