• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Your account is then manually checked and approved. There is too much funny business on the web for us to do otherwise. Be sure to use a working email address and do not use cloaking or anonymous web connections.

43 Year Long Plans for 1881 Case 10 HP Steam Engine!

S. Sauder

Registered
Re: 43 Year Long Plans for 1881 Case 10 HP Now Begins!

Ross and I have been talking. I have access to this front smoke box plate that he is in need of. I am willing to get castings made of the parts. But... after getting pricing from one pattern shop/foundry, we realize there must be people out there more interested in doing the work for us.
So, a few questions. Anyone know of someone that could make patterns and cast these parts?
Would anyone else be interested in a reproduction of this front plate? The pattern making appears to be the expensive part. The more people that would be interested in one, the better the price gets.
Is this the right page to be asking this or is there another place on here that would get more exposure?
Thanks

Attachments

Lester Bowman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019

I think you have a great pattern right there :) Build it up to allow for shrinkage and go at it!

Michael Moore

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2021

Have you checked with Cattail Foundry or Dakota Foundry? I might be interested in one of these.

GreasyIron

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/28/2019

Have you checked with Cattail Foundry or Dakota Foundry? I might be interested in one of these.
For that smokebox ring &/or door, I'd think the former would be cheaper, and closer if it's in OH.

If you need something 3D modeled or poured from ductile then Dakota has the right equipment for the job.

I cannot recall the name right now, and have only had castings from the two already mentioned, but isn't there a foundry in WI too that many old iron folk have had great parts with in the past few years?

Peter Short

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/09/2017
Re: Thread Closing

When I first joined the forum I did not have the ability to post pictures directly on the forum, so I used the 3rd party Photobucket to host the pictures. We can all see what happened with that, and I'm not going to pay Photobucket $120.00 a year to host, so I have asked Harry our Admin to take down my threads. I will start new ones. Before this one goes away, I wanted to say Thank You to all who expressed an interest in the project.

Thanks again for your interest and I will start a new thread when soon.
Please don't do that, I can see all of your photos and I haven't paid Photobucket anything.

You need the Photobucket Embedded Image Fix (there are probably more than one), it allows you to see Photobucket photos on any forum.

Jim Mead

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/01/2019

I recently had Cattail cast 2 Groton Mfg. Co. smoke box doors for me and a friend. The original was damaged and required a fair amount of remedial work.
The results were great and the cost low......but you have to get it there and back! I'm much closer......

1881case10hp

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
10/18/2019

As mentioned previously I've had trouble with my images hosted by Photobucket, so I've switched to another hosting service. Hopefully, there will be no further problems seeing the photos from here on.

At long long last finally some progress from the fabrication shop. The manufacture of the wood wheel axle support has made it thus far. The 2 beveled plates on each side of the mounting are to be welded together at the bevel's and turned down. The Timken bearing axle stub has been cut, turned and will be pressed in and then welded to the unit.

Attachments

JBoogie

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/12/2013

Is the door from #25 with the early Old Abe even correct for this later engine? If it's not, the other style with the wicket could be fabbed from plate as a weldment. Definetly cheaper than having pattern equipment made for a onesy-twosy part.

Attachments

Brad Kelley

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019

I know there's a very old Case portable at Rough & Tumble in Kinzer, PA. It's literally just down the street from Cattail Foundry. I think I have better photos of it at home, but here are some I found on the R&T website.

It has the "wicket" style door though, but perhaps that is correct for this engine as JBoogie mentioned?

Also, your left-rear wheel is an original CASE wheel, so don't junk it!

Last edited:

1881case10hp

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
10/18/2019

Also, your left-rear wheel is an original CASE wheel, so don't junk it
No chance of it getting junked. That is the only wheel the scrappers couldn't get to when it fell into the river in 1901. I looked into buying a rolling Case boiler/engine to get a set of original wheels but ultimately it was to far away and cost prohibitive.

anthony k axsom

Registered
Re: Got this thesher with it.

I forgot to mention the 1881 Case steam engine came with this 1879 thresher. I was told it came from an Amish family who used it inside a barn since it was new. It came with the leather feed belts and 2 extensions. I was also told the leather drive belts are made from buffalo hide. Make unknown. Emerson perhaps?

What happened to the 1879 thresher?

1881case10hp

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
10/18/2019
Re: Got this thesher with it.

What happened to the 1879 thresher?
Upon further examination the thresher was determined to be a circa 1900 Messinger Model 22. I have it in storage in Central Illinois.

Harry

Administrator
Staff member

When I first joined the forum I did not have the ability to post pictures directly on the forum, so I used the 3rd party Photobucket to host the pictures. We can all see what happened with that, and I'm not going to pay Photobucket $120.00 a year to host, so I have asked Harry our Admin to take down my threads. I will start new ones. Before this one goes away, I wanted to say Thank You to all who expressed an interest in the project. Thanks again for your interest and I will start a new thread when soon.
Please don't do that, I can see all of your photos and I haven't paid Photobucket anything. You need the Photobucket Embedded Image Fix (there are probably more than one), it allows you to see Photobucket photos on any forum.
I placed a Google link "Photobucket Embedded Image Fix" Although this one says Chrome, it brings up Firefox as well.

These posts can be edited and the Photobucket image can be taken down before they take it down for you. You can then use the image attachment system to lock the photo into the thread page. 1881case10hp, I can give you full editing privileges for this task. The three posts above are now on our server. In post 108 I left an A/B comparison for you PB on top, ours on the bottom.

I picked Chrome because of its video speed, but I'm about ready to fire them because of: "This site can’t be reached" the server IP address could not be found. Try running Windows Network Diagnostics."

-- Harry

1881case10hp

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
10/18/2019
After another long delay and no forward momentum on the axle mount from the fabrication shop the partially completed job was taken to another shop.

To reiterate this part of the project, this engine tipped over into the Spoon River in 1901. Before it was buried in the river mud scrappers removed many of the exposed parts, including the right hand side axle support and the steel wheel and axle skein. As no parts are available to exactly replace what was lost 119 years ago, here we're creating an axle mount to accommodate a heavy duty wood wheel with timken axle bearings.

Pictures show the welded mount before and after it went to the lathe. The second shop turned the axle shaft center hole to accept the timken bearing style axle shaft, and enlarged the outer axle shaft support square hole to allow it to slip over it.

Attachments

1881case10hp

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
10/18/2019
This first picture shows what the original parts the scrappers removed from the right side in 1901 look like. Fortunately the left and right side axle mounts are identical, so the left side axle mount was used as a form to cast another one for the right side. Since three of the steel wheels were removed back then, heavy wood wheels were located. The following pictures show the parts mocked up with the wheel prior to welding the axle to the axle support and the outer axle support all together.

Attachments