• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Your account is then manually checked and approved. There is too much funny business on the web for us to do otherwise. Be sure to use a working email address and do not use cloaking or anonymous web connections.

43 Year Long Plans for 1881 Case 10 HP Steam Engine!

1881case10hp

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
10/18/2019
Further back in the thread there are post's regarding the creation of a reproduction smoke box door. The mold for it came from the smoke box door off of JI Case engine No. 25 by way of Steve Sauder of Sauder Village Living History Museum, who I can't thank enough. Steve Sauder is a Prince of a man who went to a lot of trouble and expense to see this through. You could say after the Lord made him, he broke the mold cause not One in a Million would have gone to the trouble for someone they'd never met.

The first picture is of the crate delivered by UPS with the new smoke box door. Although it was made of 2x6(!) and 1/2" OSB and screwed together UPS managed to near destroy the crate. Can you imagine? Fortunately the cast iron parts were not broken or lost. I used to work for UPS loading trucks in another life and I suspected this might happen, and had instructed UPS to hold the crate at the terminal when it arrived. And UPS did not disappoint. This is no one's fault but the delivery company, but sometime's they're the only game in town and we're they're hostage. But, all's well that ends well in this "Case".

As was to be expected from a 150 year old part, it's imperfections were reproduced on to the new casting. The following pic's show the door being milled so it would close properly.

Attachments

1881case10hp

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
10/18/2019
Smoke box door tack welded in place and on mill for drilling the door hinge holes. Outer SBD mounting holes have already been drilled. We wanted to get the door to open free from and binding or obstruction and to lay flat when closed. This took several hours of grinding and adjustment, as was expected.

Attachments