• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

45hp Harris

George Best

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/28/2019
Drove to California on Monday to pick up this 40-45 hp Harris engine.

I've wanted a Harris engine for a long time and really would have preferred the smaller 25 hp size, but this engine came up so I got it.

It is missing the carb and magneto, but those items shouldn't be hard to come up with. The engine is currently stuck, but I've got time to let the cylinders soak awhile as I have too many other engines already apart that need to go back together before this one comes apart.

The one photo shows one cylinder is missing the pushrods and rocker arms, but I have them and they were just removed to prevent them from falling off during transport.

Unusual thing on this engine is the exhaust manifold is a different design than you normally see. Anyone see this style of manifold before?

The engine is number 722 and made in December 1920.

I would love to know the weight of this engine. Does anyone have factory information on the weight or has someone actually weighed one? I can make multiple trips (loaded/unloaded) to some truck scales to determine the weight, but that would take several hours to complete the trips for weighing.

Attachments

George Best

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/28/2019
I've got the weight now!

My wife suggested trying the local landfill which is about 7 miles from our place. Sure enough I was able to weigh my pickup and loaded trailer there.
After unloading the engine from the trailer I went back to get the empty weight.

So the 45hp Harris currently weighs 2100 lbs without the KW highbar it needs, the Schebler carb, and a few small pieces.

2200 lbs is probably a close weight if it was complete and in running condition.

OrgWayne

Registered
Last Subscription Date
03/22/2017
Your Wife is a smart cookie
do you let people see your toys ?
Wayne

Gene Williams

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/15/2019
Do you suppose anyone saw you and pert near had heart failure when you pulled into the dump with the engine? :eek:

George Best

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/28/2019
Do you suppose anyone saw you and pert near had heart failure when you pulled into the dump with the engine? :eek:
Gene,

I doubt anyone who cared saw me pull into the land fill with the engine.
Although it would have caused concern if I had seen a trailer with an engine on it pull into a landfill.

---------- Post added at 05:42:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:40:30 PM ----------

Wayne,

If you're ever up in the Beaverton area, let me know.
You're welcome to see my stuff.

OrgWayne

Registered
Last Subscription Date
03/22/2017
Thanks for the invite , SIL lives over on Cornellis pass rd ? So maybe drop Wife off and drive over to see You . She does not do tractors , engines , ect !:O
Thanks Wayne

Peter Holmander

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/23/2019
Nice engine George !! I like the exhaust on it, twin pipes. Love the engines with the exposed pushrods.

Len Spoelman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/25/2019
Who made these engines? Wendels lists a 2 cycle 4 cylinder from Harris Patents of Philadelphia. Not them? Where is more info? Supposed to be info at sanjoaquinhistory.org but I do not find it.

AKMark

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
04/11/2019
Nice engine George, although my wife had something else in mind when she suggested the landfill :shrug:

Jim Gorter

Registered
I believe they were built to power the Harris Harvesters built in the 20s in Stockton, Calif.
John Ledbetter in Idaho has a 25 hp that runs like a top. Neat engine.

George Best

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/28/2019
Who made these engines? Wendels lists a 2 cycle 4 cylinder from Harris Patents of Philadelphia. Not them? Where is more info? Supposed to be info at sanjoaquinhistory.org but I do not find it.
Try this link:

http://www.sanjoaquinhistory.org/documents/HistorianNS9-1.pdf

The article is pretty good but has a few inaccuracies. For example the 75 Holt mentioned is a Best Sixty.

Another oddity in the article is they reference a 1919 harvestor with the 45hp engine and saying it was number 735, which can't be right as my 45hp is 722 and is a 1920.