• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

4HP IHC Model Famous/Titan/Mogul Trucks

Paul Spence

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
Well, after years of searching :uhoh: , I finally found me a ¼ scale IHC Famous Hopper Cooled model. But, it didn't have the trucks under it :shrug: . However, that’s not a problem because I think I can really do that :) . As a result of my long running add here on the SMOKSTAK “Model Wanted Classified” section, I have come up with the drawings for the Hopper Cooled trucks, and one (?) wheel hub :D . The steel for the trucks has been sourced, and I’m presently trying to find someone nearby to cast the small wheel hubs for me in brass or aluminum. Nothing so far, but I’ll keep asking around. At this point, any leads for help, any place, with a reliable person who does small parts casting would be appreciated. PM or email me right here through the STACK.

Attachments

Paul Spence

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
Awhile back, in this thread, I made a couple of 1/4 scale trucks for my ¼ scale IHC Mogul models. One went away, and I need another, so I got out my hand written notes :confused: and cut and drilled 8 pieces of ¾” x 1/8” flat stock, 2 pieces of 1” x ½ x 1/8” channel, 2 pieces of 1” x 1 ½ x 1/8 flat stock, 2 pieces of 1 ½” x ¾ x 1/8” flat sock and 4, 9” pieces of ½” square tubing. I already have 48 pieces of 1/8“ rod cut and one end threaded for the wheel spokes.

Then I rolled the wheels, welded the ends together, and ground off the extra weld. I finished up the front bolster with the pivot. I screwed up on one of the pivots by cutting the slot through the pivot hole :eek:. Fortunately I could turn it 90 degrees and drill the pivot hole saving the piece. I found a model HUB from a friend that had an extra, and thought I could use it for a pattern and make a few. However, it wasn't quite like the real wheel hubs. So, I abandoned the pattern making/casting my own hubs :shrug: and decided to “JUST MAKE THEM. Now that will be the “FUN” part, making the wheel hubs as close to the original “Z” pattern as I can with what I have to work with. Just trying to have some fun, even in NJ on the way through at Christmas time :brows: .

Attachments

Paul Spence

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
I finally got the courage to start making the wheel hubs for the ¼ scale trucks with materials at hand. After reviewing the photos of the “Z” pattern hubs and some math work (C=pie x D), dividing a circle into 12 – spoke segments (6 per side), doing some rough drawings and doing them over a few times :uhoh: , getting the spoke angles close for the different sized wheels, sorting through the milling bits for a size I have that’s close to what I want to make the “Z” pattern, finding that schedule 80 pipe I bought for the job, making up a “HUB” holding fixture (1/2” carriage bolt :confused: ) for lathe and mill work, mounting the dividing head on the mill and getting it “square”, locating the center of the chuck on the dividing head with the center of the mill, and I haven’t even started making chips :shrug: . I know it’s going to be a bit tedious, but here goes.

Once I started, I Sure made a lot of passes with the mill cutting the 6 slots per side (thanks for auto feed), setting the dividing head for the correct angle needed, locating and spot drilling for the angled spokes, drilling the angled spoke holes (6 per side), and threading the spoke holes (did I mention a few tooling changes and adjustments needed to make each one :crazy: ).

Attachments

Paul Spence

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
After I got one HUB roughed out, the sharp square ends needed an additional touch :) . I sorted out some lathe bits, found one left hand ground close to what I needed, ground it closer to the final shape I wanted, and made the rounded ends of the HUB. The first try was close, and a bit more grinding of the tool bit gave me the desired result. After this was all done, I took a file and de-burred the whole HUB. It’s really looking good :uhoh: . Now I needed to reduce the HUB bearing diameter pipe to the right OD and length and press it in to finish off the HUB. The HUB is a two piece assembly. A pass through the blast cabinet and wire wheel gets me a finished HUB. Not bad, but I stopped at finishing two because I know I can make them better :brows: . Waiting on “NEW” tooling to show up in the big brown truck.

Attachments

Paul Spence

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
No more waiting on the “NEW” tooling to show up in the big brown truck. It showed up at end of day Friday (7:30pm) when we had family in, and had to wait :( till late Saturday before I could make more chips. Got two more done before the set-up on the mill shifted :( a bit on the third one and screwed it up. Tore the set up down and redid it for another day :shrug: . Here are a few photos of the new, improved hubs I’m working on :uhoh: .

Attachments

Paul Spence

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
Another day has come, and I finally got six more Hubs machined after tossing several in the recycling bucket due to manufacturing “DEFECTS” (operator error :eek: ). I got all of the HUBS threaded for the spokes and even with cutting oil, I only broke two taps :shrug: . Finally, I got them all done. I re-cut the two hubs from the first attempt so they all look similar for the 8 HUBs needed for the 8 wheels, for the two sets of trucks I’m making. I made 48 more brass spokes as the 1/8”? welding rod I used for some spokes didn’t work out (diameter was to small to thread properly). Then, I spoked all 8 wheels before calling it quits on January 1, 2014 leaving them on the work bench for another day :wave: . Just having fun in 2014, even in NJ on the way through, waiting for the Friday "SNOW" :( .

Attachments

Paul Spence

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
We got about 6" of snow Friday, and with the help of the snow blower I got the drive cleared off. Then the plows came through and had to get the snow blower out "again" :( . No shoveling for me. After that, I rummaged around in the wood box for some ½” OAK and ran a 2” wide piece through the radial arm saw and made 3 - ½ x ½ x 24” pieces. Once I got the pieces cut to the length I needed for the axle spacer supports and the “tree” that goes up front. I sanded them a bit, put them in the mill and made the necessary bevel cuts as well as the slots for the “U” bolts I made yesterday. Here are a couple of pictures to look :uhoh: at. For something different :shrug: , I just made sawdust :confused: , instead of metal chips in the shop. I’m just doing a little bit at a time, every day while having fun, even in NJ on the way through.

Attachments

Paul Spence

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
Since I have another IHC model, I decided to make a set of trucks for it based on what I already have done. So, drag out the sketches and start the fabrication :O . Here is a photo of the H.F. ring maker, rolling the flat stock after drilling the spoke holes. In my spare time :uhoh: I cut the pipe I’ll be using for fabricating (I like that word) the wheel hubs. I can hardly wait to start on the improved wheel hubs. I already cut and threaded the 48 spokes needed for the 4 wheels, and have the rims rolled and welded :brows: .

Attachments

Last edited:

Paul Spence

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
I don’t know what happened :confused: , but I got three new sets of wheels and two sets of axles made in my spare time between the snow and cold last month :shrug: . I used one new set of wheels on my 1/4 scale saw rig project ( http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?p=989108#post989108 )replacing those previously made. Here they are just waiting for that IHC model (Famous or Mogul) to some day show up in the shop :O . Then I’ll build the rails to fit depending on what I decide to have them power. You have to have them running something, don't you :uhoh: .

Attachments