• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

4hp Lockwood Ash

JWithers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Looking for info, drawings of, or the parts for the timer on my 4hp Lockwood Ash marine engine. I got this engine 22 years ago for sweeping out somebodys shop when I was a kid. It is 2cycle. It is currently stuck. And the timer, shaft, bevel gear, and carb are missing. I've had this engine a long time already and would like to see it run again. Any help or leads appreciated.

miro

Registered
There area lot of Lockwood Ash ( Nadler) engines in Louisiana. If you post your question on old marine engine dot com, I'm sure you'll get help.
But it will also help a lot to post front, both sides, and top pictures of your engine.

miro

JWithers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
I sure would have posted pics but the engine is in pieces. Thanks for the lead.

J.B. Castagnos

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/01/2006
I have the drawings for the parts, have the top timer supports in rough casting, should have an extra lower support . I had timer bodies, need to get some more cast.

JWithers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
I have access to a machinist and shop. Rough castings and drawings would be just fine. Would you need any other info?

---------- Post added at 10:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 PM ----------

Its serial number is 41893

J.B. Castagnos

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/01/2006
I printed the drawings, need an address. The ser # 41893 would probably put it in the mid teens, early engines used a brush type timer, later had points. The 4 in the # is hp, 1893rd produced. Do you have the water pump, eccentric, and strap?

JWithers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Yes I have the pump,eccentric, strap,intake "manifold", the guard for the gears, even the original primer cup,and all but two original bolts. And there is about 98% original paint on this one. If I can get the piston out I think it will make a real nice engine. I assume that since I didn't see a place for an oiler that I would have to mix the gas? If so what oil and ratio?

J.B.
I've sent you a pm with my address.

JWithers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Thanks. I did notice that on twin cylinders there was an oiler on the manifold so that is where my confusion came from. I assume 2cycle oil then?

JWithers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Anyone know what carburetor would have been on this engine? In the big yellow book it looks like a Shebler but I wouldn't know for sure.

JWithers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Thanks JB. I received the drawings today. I'm very pleased. On Friday I will get over to my uncles place and we can go over them.

I will keep this going as a log to show progress.

JWithers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Thanks but mine is an inboard. And I've still not done anything with it. Went over the drawings with my uncle. He will be able to make everything but the bevel gear. So if anybody knows a good source for gears or custom one offs let me know.

J.B. Castagnos

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/01/2006
J, I have the castings for the upper timer bracket, I had timer bodies cast in bronze but used the last of them. I left my pattern at a small hobby foundry, went back to get it and he can't find it. I'm making new patterns and will put them on a board, should be going to the foundry next week. I have pictures attached. The bevel gears aren't hard to make, you have to get the correct cutter. Machine the body at 48 degrees and cut the gear at 41.5. A friend made several from the drawing, no problem. They were made of cast iron, bronze and die cast through the years, gear cutters show up on Ebay.

Attachments

Keven Withers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/14/2020
J.B. What ever castings you can help us with would be great. I may try to make the gear myself yet.

JWithers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
The patterns look like ping pong paddles!:D

Whatever castings we can make a deal on would be great. I will send you a pm. Maybe I overcomplicated the gear in my head. I have not machined anything in 15 years and have forgotten most of what I was tought.
I will have to keep a lookout for the cutter in case my uncle doesn't have one