• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

4hp Lockwood Ash

JWithers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Been a few years since my last post on this project. Since my last post this engine has sat in a corner and been moved from one storage to another with me seriously considering letting it go. My uncle encouraged me to hold on to it and then it happened. I recently acquired a parts lot with about everything i need to finish this project up without having to machine my castings or cut a gear. I will post pics as the project progresses.

J.B. if you see this, can you help me with detail pics of a timer? Inside and out? Thanks

Jim Parrott

Registered
Last Subscription Date
10/11/2018
Jim,

There is a lot of original paint on your engine, your recently acquired parts will blend in perfect to create a complete original engine. Looks like very little work left.

Jim

JWithers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
That is what im hoping. I was able to locate drawings of the timer from another thread here. There will still need to be something made as the bakelite for the timer is all gone. When i have more time ill be able to compare the parts and drawings and see whats what and whatnot.

J.B. Castagnos

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/01/2006
Jeremy, there are two types of timers, points and brush, we call the brush timers a T top. The insulated rings are phenolic, I have a jig to make either, let me know which you need. My friend Jamie has a stamp for the timer covers, he has them etched then stamps them, they look nice.

JWithers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Thanks JB. I believe my timer will be brush type and I have a timer cover. Will try to take some pictures of what I have in the morning.

Jim Parrott

Registered
Last Subscription Date
10/11/2018
JB

The timers he picked up were brush type. He should need the insulated ring.

Jim

Last edited:

JWithers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Here are the parts i picked up
Timer 1 pics 1 and 2
Timer 2 pics 3 and 4
Timer 1 and timer 2 are different. Timer 1 looks like its for 2 brushes maybe whereas timer 2 seems to be closed on one end of the t
Sorry for the sideways pics. Looks like I need to dumb down my camera a bit

Attachments

JWithers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Here is the carb and intake manifold and a gear guard. Gear guard seems to be aluminum and is quite different than the one on my engine.

What I didn't notice when I examined the original ad photo was that these parts have obviously been through a fire. The carb, I'm sure, will need to be rebuilt. Everthing will need to be cleaned. But not too cleaned as I want to retain some patina.

Attachments