• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

4hp Lockwood Ash

JWithers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Been a few years since my last post on this project. Since my last post this engine has sat in a corner and been moved from one storage to another with me seriously considering letting it go. My uncle encouraged me to hold on to it and then it happened. I recently acquired a parts lot with about everything i need to finish this project up without having to machine my castings or cut a gear. I will post pics as the project progresses.

J.B. if you see this, can you help me with detail pics of a timer? Inside and out? Thanks

Jim Parrott

Registered
Last Subscription Date
10/11/2018
Jim,

There is a lot of original paint on your engine, your recently acquired parts will blend in perfect to create a complete original engine. Looks like very little work left.

Jim

JWithers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
That is what im hoping. I was able to locate drawings of the timer from another thread here. There will still need to be something made as the bakelite for the timer is all gone. When i have more time ill be able to compare the parts and drawings and see whats what and whatnot.

J.B. Castagnos

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/01/2006
Jeremy, there are two types of timers, points and brush, we call the brush timers a T top. The insulated rings are phenolic, I have a jig to make either, let me know which you need. My friend Jamie has a stamp for the timer covers, he has them etched then stamps them, they look nice.

JWithers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Thanks JB. I believe my timer will be brush type and I have a timer cover. Will try to take some pictures of what I have in the morning.

Jim Parrott

Registered
Last Subscription Date
10/11/2018
JB

The timers he picked up were brush type. He should need the insulated ring.

Jim

Last edited:

JWithers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Here are the parts i picked up
Timer 1 pics 1 and 2
Timer 2 pics 3 and 4
Timer 1 and timer 2 are different. Timer 1 looks like its for 2 brushes maybe whereas timer 2 seems to be closed on one end of the t
Sorry for the sideways pics. Looks like I need to dumb down my camera a bit

Attachments

JWithers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Here is the carb and intake manifold and a gear guard. Gear guard seems to be aluminum and is quite different than the one on my engine.

What I didn't notice when I examined the original ad photo was that these parts have obviously been through a fire. The carb, I'm sure, will need to be rebuilt. Everthing will need to be cleaned. But not too cleaned as I want to retain some patina.

Attachments