• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Your account is then manually checked and approved. There is too much funny business on the web for us to do otherwise. Be sure to use a working email address and do not use cloaking or anonymous web connections.

4HP Sandwich Help Needed

Rex Piekarczyk

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/14/2020
Replacing the bearing, shaft, and improvised gear. The gear ran loose eating the shaft shoulder and end of bearing.
I'd like to increase the shaft diameter to provide a better shoulder for the gear and cam.

Anyone have a picture of a complete correct engine I could see? I don't know if this configuration is original.

What's the best technique for removing the shaft from the cam without damaging the cam? Tried a little on the Famco #3 but had no motion. Heat?

Attachments

Jamesk815

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
09/29/2017
Rex
If you have access to a lathe, i would chuck up the shaft, drill, or bore most of the shaft away, and it well be easy to get the gear off after that. It looks like the gear has been worked on before. The original gear would have been solid cast and would not have had a bushing welded in.also you mite check this site for a original gear since you have a couple teeth missing. Although you can build up the missing teeth if you have to. Making a new shaft should not be a problem either. If the engine were mine, i would take the time to put it back like it was when it left the factory.
Good Luck!
jamesk815

Last edited:

Doug Kimball

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/10/2019
Rex,
Just did this on a 4 1/2 hp Sandwich. Our trouble was removing the cam gear. Tried a puller & heat with no results. After it cooled it came off with puller alone using much force. Previous owner had peened over end of shaft causing the difficulty. Shaft removed from cam fairly easily using a 7 ton arbor press. Faced cam gear end of shaft to remove peening & reassembled.
Your configuration looks correct. You could increase the diameter of the reduced portion of the shaft but it was made that way(on both ends) so that woodruff key does not protrude into the bearing bore. If it does protrude too far & shaft is knocked thru from that side you will damage the bearing bore like on Stover K's for one.
Shaft ends are recessed from face of hubs and secured in place with cap screw & washer.

Attachments

Last edited:

Rex Piekarczyk

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/14/2020
I have a cast spoked gear with a 1" face, correct bore and oversize hub I'll turn down to correct dimensions. The right side of the gear is already done.

Boring out the shaft sounds like a fine idea.

I'm planning to increase the diameter of the shaft that runs in the bearing to provide a better shoulder for the gear, not the reduced ends for the cam and gear.

Thanks for the quick responses and guidance, and pictures. Exactly what I needed to proceed.

Will post pics of progress. :salute:

Rex Piekarczyk

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/14/2020
Parts made, ready for reassembly. How is the timing mark on the gear synced with the crankshaft gear?

Rex Piekarczyk

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/14/2020
Found instructions in one of Steve Barr's posts, just need to pick one of the marks on this engine. 1st pic crank @ outer position, 2nd @ inner position.

Attachments