• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

5 HP Flour City Stationary Engine info wanted

rustysleds

Registered
I am looking for information or pictures of a 5 HP Flour city stationary engine I have a complete engine frame with wheels missing the rest i am also interested in any part you may have Thanks. kevin.

oldironlindy

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/14/2016
Re: 5 HP Flour city Stationary Engine info wanted

Is this a hopper cooled engine or a screen cooled? I have some pictures of both. Looks like you are just down the road from me I am in Kimball and have always dreamed of getting a Flour City. Any chance I could come and see it?

rustysleds

Registered

You sure can come and see it i live in Fairhaven , MN i will be home in the evening 763-234-5292 Kevin.

Brian Triebner

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/10/2019

I have some old photo copies of a catalogue but shows 3,4,6,8,10,12,16,20, 25 hp, no 5. You say it's a stationary model not a portable. I have a 16 hp portable missing all the good stuff but I have the trucks, frame, crank and flywheels. There are several out there that were turned into wood splitters and all the good stuff scrapped or lost.

rustysleds

Registered

I beleive mine might be a 3 HP it is a portable engine is the one at Hastings considered a portable it looks like a floor model bolted to a portable chassis or is this how it was done on these smaller models? I was thinking on the portables that the main bearings etc were bolted to the frame like on the larger models like the 12HP-16HP

---------- Post added at 06:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 AM ----------

I would be interested in seeing the photocopies of the engines thanks I would be interested in finding any parts even if they were converted into a wood spliter it would be something to start with.

Brian Triebner

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/10/2019

Looks like the picture from the Hastings show was a stationary. The pictures from the book show the portable with no sub frame or casting, the jug is bolted to the truck channels as well as the crank mains and timing gear bracket.

LCJudge

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/14/2019

Here is a stationary I could have bought several years ago for $3500. What a nut I was for not getting it....:bonk:

Attachments

Kevin O. Pulver

Email NOT Working
Last Subscription Date
02/14/2020

I would love to see photos of the log-splitter conversion engines.
I bought a 12 Champion Lininger Implement (Hercules) that was converted to a log splitter and everything was gone. We were able to bring it back to life, thankfully any 3HP or bigger Economy/Herc engine had the same size governor bracket and Webster mag/igniter set up. I found a cam gear and muffler from GEM, then built a fuel mixer, push rod, and cylinder head. If you can put together that Flour City, You'll be the hit of any show if you have a lot of "before and after" photos! Kevin

rustysleds

Registered

If i can get pictures i know i can build most of what i need for the engine

LCJudge

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/14/2019

Kevin, Just curious, where did you find the cart? Did it happen to come from John in Bemidji, MN? I know at one time he had a FC cart.

rustysleds

Registered

I may have come from there but i picked it up at an auction maybe 10 years ago by Elk River , MN the guy that had it at the auction had passed away and his family was selling it so I never got to ask, He had collected other engine also.

rustysleds

Registered

yes that helps thanks for the picture now i know what to look for mine must be a 3 HP portable engine

---------- Post added at 07:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 PM ----------

Has anyone heard of or seen any parts for a 3 HP flour city engine?
Thanks Kevin.

Chris Epping

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019

There was a fellow in northern MN or maybe even just over the line into Canada that had some parts like that. I think his last name was Larson (like that helps in MN). I want to say the first name was Leonard or something, but can't say for sure. You might know him, he used to be at Rollag once in a while. Seemed like he spent part of his time in the music hall playing accordian or something. Good luck on your hunt.

Chris

rustysleds

Registered

Hi Chris we have met at Rollag I have the miniature Flour city tractor and model snowmobiles, Yes that is Leonard Larson he thinks his is a 5 HP. I have not seen it yet to confirm this yet, I have asked him if he would like to sell what he has left of the engine but i dont think he is willing to part with it yet. so i am looking else where for parts. I would like to complete this engine and see it run. Thanks. Kevin.

Jeff Wahl

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/02/2019

Here are some pictures of a surviving 3HP Flour City. When you mentioned that your cart has cast wheels, I figured it was probably the 3HP. I have not heard of or seen a larger size portable Flour City with the cast wheel cart.

Attachments

LCJudge

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/14/2019

Jeff, with Columbus engines being mentioned in another thread, that sure is a big one behind the Flour City in the second photo. I think that is the Flour City that George Archer used to own. That's been many years ago. I know he had it in the late 70s.

rustysleds

Registered

Yes that is definitely the engine cart i have so it is a 3HP that is even better are there any other 3 HP engine out their that have been restored or is that the only one?
Thanks.

Don Selmer

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/23/2019

I believe the Flour city cart you have was once owned by Berk Rodgers of Minniapolis, Mn.