• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Your account is then manually checked and approved. There is too much funny business on the web for us to do otherwise. Be sure to use a working email address and do not use cloaking or anonymous web connections.

5hp Bovaird Seyfang Plumbing?

George Best

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/28/2020
I've got a 5hp vertical BS with the hot tube.

I have questions on how to run this engine on propane.

Do I need a demand regulator on the fuel inlet?

I tried using 2 propane tanks. 1 tank for the torch using a bbq regulator.
1 tank for the fuel inlet. I have a demand regulator in line with the inlet.
Again this tank has a bbq style regulator.

We gave up without ever getting a pop out of the engine.

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

TomBall

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/26/2019
George, you should get something out of it with two different tanks and regulators. Is your hot tube getting hot enough? It is important to get it hot enough to fire on. I had a Myrick that gave me fits on a cool day till I lined the chimney. Then it ran. The tube would not get hot otherwise. That being said, is gas getting to you intake? I know it is a stupid question but weird stuff happens. Check the valve timing in case someone has had it apart before. Also, how long is the tube? Have you had this running before or did you recently get it?

George Best

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/28/2020
I've had the engines around 10 years but never tried to run it until yesterday.

I am currently thinking that we didn't get the hot tube hot enough with the burner that came with the engine.

Compression isn't great on this engine but there is enough that if it was a spark fired engine it would run. Just don't know if compression is very critical with a hot tube or not.

Should the hot tube be heated enough to have a orange glow? It was hot when we pulled the chimney off to check it, but definitely not glowing or showing any color.

TomBall

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/26/2019
The hot tube should have a glow to it that is visible before trying to start it. If you feel the need to check it after it is running, please use a mirror to look down the chimney. We don't want bad things to happen. Did you insulate the chimney? I find that it really helps.