• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. Be Considerate, this is an application to JOIN Smokstak, therefore it becomes part of a decision to open the door to you or send you off to the dropout file. Place your City, State, Country in the location box and it will be compared to where the internet lookup utilities say that you are. Don't give me a zip code to look up, the Eject button is much easier. We get hundreds of applications, so there is not time for monkey business.

5x6.5 ajax engine

hillwomp

Registered
Hi
I just got a ajax engine a 5x 6.5 And I have not Idea how to make it run it has spark and it get gas I belted it up to a tractor to turn it over it let out a ball of fire one time and that was it it acts like it is get to much propane .any and all help is appericated.

Thanks DeWayne

OldironPhil

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
11/15/2013
Hello, post some photos. Talk to Arrow engines you can find them online and power zone in Colorado. Good Luck.

Allan Wright

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
08/10/2019
I had a 6 1/2x8 and the butterfly would need to be almost fully closed to start. Have you tried starting on gasoline and then switch to propane?
Good luck with it.

legendenergy

Registered
The 5 x 6 1/2 aka WL Ajax can be a pain if they've not run in a long time. Have you got much experience with ajax? The timing sounds like it might be off. Make sure it's firing on tdc each time. If you need more info. I have a book I can make copies and send. Good luck?

Reed Engine

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Those mags snap (implulse) 4 times but only fire once. 3 of the terminals are ran to ground and only one goes to the spark plug. Pull the spark plug and hook the wire up to it and lay it on top of the engine so you can see it fire. Take a long screwdriver and put it in the spark plug hole, this will let you see where TDC is. Roll the engine through and listen to the inpluses and watch for the spark. You want it to spark at just after TDC. If you have more than one spark per revolution the mag has the wrong cap.

hillwomp

Registered
Hi I have no experience with ajax at all and I sure appericate your help and if you would make me a copy and send to me I will pay you for it . thanks
DeWayne

Reed Engine

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
I'll have to see if I have info on that engine when I get home. If I do I'll scan and send it for free.

Reed Engine

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
OK, finally got around to looking for the Ajax Operation and Maintenance Manual today and I still have one. It covers several sizes and the WL is one. It is NOT detailed as to each engine but general to the things all Ajax covered have in common. Do you still want a copy?