• The old site search from Google needs to be updated. Use the Search at the Upper Right, or use What's New in the center - it has a drop down arrow. You will need to change your Favorits by right click mouse and clicking favorites. Many of the posts in How to Use This Web Site are old so the links may or may not work. I have one hell of a lot of work to do!

60 HP Case from East Tennessee

Mike McKnight

Ladies and Gents,
Last night about 3 AM my father-in-law and I got back from the trip to East TN to look to pick up my loose parts, pay for the engine, and take a look-see at what I've got. Looks like the biggest things missing are: rear wheels and bull gears, differential & pinions, smoke stack, steering wheel and steering shaft (I do have the worm gear, thank goodness!), platform, & rear axle. I'm sure there are going to be numerous smaller parts missing, but will have to go thru what all I've got to just see.

The lower cannon bearing is darn near PERFECT, with no wear whatsoever! ;) The clutch pinion and the intermediate gear are real nice, also, which makes me think the engine didn't do much road work before it was parked at the sawmill back in the '20's.

Due to my messy house not being yet organized from the move into a couple of years ago :eek: , I couldn't locate my UT machine to check out the boiler. However, I did pull out all handholes I could, and was pleasantly surprised to NOT find handfuls of scale; the staybolts have most of their threads left, and nothing looks too dog-gone bad! :D I do know the front tube sheet and smokebox will have to be replaced, and new tubes installed...hopefully not a lot more and maybe the boiler will be able to make steam!?! As soon as the critter gets home, I will go over the thing with a UT and fine tooth comb to see what all else nasty surprises might pop up on the boiler.

Believe it or not, one can get most castings of a 60 HP Case in the back of one's pick-up truck! :) The cylinder casting is still on the boiler....most of the rest of the castings had already been removed, some painted, and all with the exception of the cannon bearings (which we put on the trailer, with the XYZ wheels) went into the bed of my truck for the long ride home.

Some history on the engine on the next post....
Mike

Farquhar

Mike, look at one of the last George White pics, that G W posted. Its the Calhoun family G White. The wheels are really similar, except for those castings, with that number on them.[8786A]

YoloYoyo

Subscriber
Mike, I might have at least some of the parts you need. They are rough, but here in a pile along with a depressing story. I need the door and ring for a different one I have.

Mike,
Are you certain Ben Hadd couldn't build up the front flue sheet, so's you wouldn't have to replace it. It'd likely be the cheap way to go? He can't be over a couple of states away from you?
Gary;)

Mike McKnight

As promised, here's a little history on the old engine:

Around 1920, Mr. William Westen Austin bought this engine, presumably used, for powering one of his sawmills in Eastman, TN. Mr. Austin was apparently a fairly big operator, with multiple sawmills he used to cut timber in the "hoops & hollers" of the nearby area. Since the engine was only used as a power plant for a sawmill, during WWII Mr. Austin let the rear wheels, bull gears, axle, differential, etc. go for scrap for the war effort. The engine was used on up until the early '60's according to Lewis Campbell (Mr. Austin's grandson, who I bought the engine from), who said he remembered the engine running until about 45 yrs ago, when he was 8 or 9 yrs old. According to Lewis, Mr. Austin preferred the steamer as a power source for this mill, but had trouble finding a fireman to stoke the boiler then and decided to retire the old steamer.

The engine was retired, and after Mr. WW Austin passed on, his son Ira Kenneth Austin wound up with the engine, and decided to restore it. He stripped it down, started cleaning up parts and looking for the missing ones, but got in bad health before he got too far on the project. After Ira passed, Lewis Campbell got the engine and, in his own words, decided to sell it to someone who could use it and get some enjoyment out of it. I told Lewis I really appreciated him having that line of thinking, as I don't know how many times I've been told by an owner of an old piece of iron I really wanted "That was Dad's/Uncle's/Grandpa's, so I'll just hang onto it!" I know we've all felt the frustration of seeing someone hanging on to Grandpa's machine, just so they can let it rot to the ground.... :rant:

I really enjoyed the trip and getting to acquire the old beast. I also greatly appreciated David H. (ya'll know him as Farqhuar on here!) and his grandson giving me and my father-in-law quite a helping hand loading up the loose parts, and I appreciate him checking it out for me week-before-last so I'd know what I was bidding on. :wave:

The rear wheels that were acquired by Ira for the engine, I'm really not sure what they are, after picking them up. I don't think they're George White, they're sure not Frick! :confused: They look "almost" like a bunch of flat-spoke wheels I've seen on old tractors and steamers, but not "exactly" like any particular one. As soon as I get the pics downloaded, I'll see about getting them posted on here for some help on identification!

Yoloyoyo, I'd be curious to hear your story, and hear what you've got.

Thanks,
Mike

60case

Subscriber
Hi Mike
:) Enjoyed your post, i have some parts rear wheel hubs and such gear cover ,odds and ends. You had lots of help loading up stuff, never can have to many hands when lifting heavy items. David would be good help, he help me alot @ wolford ND that year him and his wife were passing through.
Anyways good find need help dont forget to call
Regards 60 CASE:wave:

MPierce

Email NOT Working - Over Quota
Mike:

I have these two parts here for Case. Nos. 778 C and 779 C. They seem to be in good shape. If they fit your engine, and you need them, let me know.

Melvin

Attachments

Mike McKnight

Melvin,
I greatly appreciate it! :D Anyone in steam land with a Case parts book able to tell me what they are, and if they fit my engine? :confused: Man, I GOTTA get a parts book!!!!:(

Mike

John Deck

Subscriber
Mike,

The parts are as follows:

#778C Collar on hind axle, R.H., 45H prior to 18244

#779C Collar on hind axle, L.H., 45H and 60H, prior to 18244

John Deck

Farquhar

Mike, if you look on page 122 of Clymer's 1st ed. Theres a pretty fair breakdown, that will give you a good idea where a lot of the bits & pieces go on the 60.

Brad Kelley

Subscriber
Man, I GOTTA get a parts book!!!!
I bought a reprint of the 1922 Case parts book off ebay a while back, paid a good bit for it too. It has all Case parts for the spring mounted traction, portable, skid engines, and road rollers 1922 and prior. It's a really cool book. I made a copy at office max and Dad and I spent a couple hours with our engine the other night highlighting lots of our parts in the book.

We found some really strange stuff, that seems to be putting the puzzle of our engine together.

Our oddball smokestack part #1212C is listed as "smokestack, all engines except 9H, (discarded)". The "discarded" part reinforces our theory that even though it doesn't belong on our engine, it was still put there by the factory to use up old parts.

Our steering wheel, part #843C is listed as "handwheel for L. H., steering". We got a chuckle out of that, the fact that Case made a separate casting for a "left hand" steering wheel, and it's on our engine. But, just another thing that seems to point to old parts being used up on our engine.

Our connecting rod doesn't even have a casting number on it, but it's features seem to fit the style somewhere between the flat connecting rods and the I-beam styles pictured in the parts book. It may have been some kind of transition piece from the redesign.

Also, I'm sure you can figure out how to put your engine together, but one thing I've found helpful for us are the drawings in my model construction book, "How to build a 4" Case traction engine and water wagon" by Ralph W. Andres.

Casemaker

Brad,
Thanks! :) Does anyone currently sell the "4" Case" Andres book that Brad is talking about now?

Mike
Mike,
its out of print I do have a copy for myself...sold another one about 6 months ago...you might keep an eye on "the auction website" I believe the publisher from time to time runs a copy out there... let me know what it is that you need I might have other reference material around that can help.

Its Monday the 22 nd...so I imagine with the parade of UPS trucks and freight haulers (bringing in all those missing CASE parts) that you most likely have the engine back together and its popped off four times by now and you have figured out a way to heat baby bottles :D

Mike McKnight

Casmaker,
Are you kidding??? With the (lack of) speed things move down here in TN, I just finally got the pick-up truck full of loose parts unloaded last weekend!!!!!:eek: It's a good thing too, as the rear end of the truck wasn't looking so good with all that weight back there......

I am talking with a hauler about moving the boiler down either this weekend or the next....am hoping that it will prove to be worth doing more than providing heat for warming up baby bottles after a little work!;)

Still looking for some rear wheels.......Chuck, can you help me out?????:brows:
Mike

LarryT

Subscriber
There is one listed on "the auction site" now. item 230080282059

Same place I got my copy.

Larry Thompson

P

Polaraman

I have been attempting to put a car puzzle together for the better part of 13 years. Dealing with something made in 1963 must be a lot easier than something made in the 9-teens and 20's. Sometimes I wish I had selected a more popular car. There would be alot more used parts out there to be had. My point! It will all be worth it when you are done. You'll be steaming around with your prize and be the envy of others. I alway liked the Johnny Cash song with the Cadillac made from 20 different years of parts. Your effort will be more than worth it in the long run. Preserving a piece of American history is always worth it. Good luck. I will keep an eye out for you!!!

polaraman

Farquhar

Polaraman, you need a traction engine to cruise around Sand Hill, Harmony Church, and maybe swing through Phenix City, on Sat nites.:rolleyes: :D

P

Polaraman

They are pretty cautious about heavy metal out in the maneuver areas. It would be a blast to drive an engine on the tank trails. Could we mount an 120mm cannon on it? Gotta have some firepower other than the fire in the box. :D

polaraman