60hp Case auction Kearney Nebraska

Engine Whisperer

Defective Email Address
I don't know anything about it, but heard that there is some disagreement in the family and the collection will be tied up in court for awhile.

Robert M

Bill is correct, I spoke with one of the daughters this afternoon and it will be some time before things get ironed out. To bad, I feel its a mistake on the part of the daughter who has filed the law-suit to have the auction stopped. I will post again if and when I hear of more news, I do know the family.....:shrug: Robert M.

JeffK

Subscriber
Well You know the old saying [ If there,s a will there is a way] or [ If there,s a will there,s a fight]

Last edited:

Engine Whisperer

Defective Email Address
Looks like things got ironed out and I will get a shot at buying this Case after all, assuming I hit the lottery real soon. The link in Scott's original post is still good.

Robert M

Good job of watching that Bill, I live right here in town and hadnt heard anything...
I believe Pembertons bought that engine from the late Warren Bomberger of Sargent Ne. back in the early seventies. The hand hole plates havent been out of it for years, and I dont believe it has been steamed up since the seventies either. When it was out at the fairgrounds early this year, I looked it over pretty good and it isnt to bad of an old engine.
While were on a sixty Case note, does anyone know where the 60 went sold at Don Messing estate sale a couple weeks ago? For what it brought I tend to believe that someone in the family may have bought it back. Just curious, it was a nice engine. See you at the sale... :wave:
Bob

Chuck Sindelar

In Memory Of
The information that I have on file for this 1912, 60, #28830 credits it to Warren Boomberger (he had several engines) of Sargent, Nebraska as early as 1956---and another reference credits it to C.C. Pemberton of Kearney, NEB already by 1959 so it appears to have been in the Pemberton family for soon 50 years.
chuck

Colin

While were on a sixty Case note, does anyone know where the 60 went sold at Don Messing estate sale a couple weeks ago? For what it brought I tend to believe that someone in the family may have bought it back. Just curious, it was a nice engine. See you at the sale...
Bob
Glenn geizler bought that 60 outa there. he has one complete one and almost enough to build another. but said he wasn't going to get them going so he got this one:shrug: :crazy: i woudln't mind having that kind of extra dough around. kinda like having a flat tire and just going to buy a whole new truck:p :D

Mike McKnight

It'll be interesting to see what this 60 in NE goes for...I heard what the one went for at Messing's sale, and am glad I bought my pile of parts to start one with. Seems like the ol' 60's are going up now, too.....:eek:

I think I know where someone has a pile of parts to start another 60 with....;) And have heard that the same fellow has a pile of parts for sale to start on one of those $115,000 75 HP Case engines, too! :brows: Gentlemen, you better jump on and get them, NOW! (Tryin' to help you out, CB!)

Mike

Last edited:

John Deck

Subscriber
What did the 60 at Messing's sale bring? Just curious to see what the market is doing with this size engine.

John

Robert M

John & Mike,
The engine sold for 24,000.00, I was standing their when the Auctioneer knocked it off to #69. Maybe I shouldnt say anything, but the last 5 or 6 bids came in so fast, I thought the ringman was doing a new dance :shrug:, and I never did see number 69. It had to have been a bid placed before the sale, and who knows who, was bidding against who? I really wonder if the engine brought the 24,000, or if it was a lesser price... Hope I havent stirred up a hornest nest, but I like to see solid evidence, and I dont feel that I for one, have. So, my thought is, maybe we cant, or shouldnt use this sale as a true indicator for going market values. (It was a nice engine and it did have extension rims)
Bob

Mike McKnight

I hate to see a hornet's nest stirred up myself...the fellow that bought the engine is a fellow staker, ;) so maybe he can step up the the plate and explain what happened? :shrug:

Mike

Colin

I think I know where someone has a pile of parts to start another 60 with....;) And have heard that the same fellow has a pile of parts for sale to start on one of those $115,000 75 HP Case engines, too! :brows: Gentlemen, you better jump on and get them, NOW! (Tryin' to help you out, CB!)
Mike
Mike we've been kinda wanting to get things cleaned up a little in the bone yard, were thinking by fall we might just call in the scrap truck and get er done all in one shot, that might be the quickest and easiest?:shrug: :idea:

GaarScott

Colin,

Let me chime in with Mike's point...Don't! There has got to be someone out there that is willing to own Case stuff. I know it is just Case parts...but the scrap man!:bonk: All kidding aside, someone better get these parts. We have lost too many good part piles to the scrappers already.

Lawrence

Mike McKnight

Hey Colin,
After doing a little bit of thinking, how's about this? :idea: You're talking about a "scrap man" coming to clean the stuff up....well, I ain't a "scrap man" in the truest sense of the word, but my place looks about like a scrap yard, I just pay 'ya scrap price for it all, and move it to my place, where it will look right at home with the Case and other steam engine parts scattered around! :brows: :D

Mike

Robert M

The 60 hp Case engine sold for 13,000.00. The auctioneer said that he was selling it as scrap, as it hadnt been inspected in years. The handhole plates are still in it, and no UT of any kind.:)
Bob