6hp Russell Traction Engine last run in 1916 is Back Under Steam!

Thomas Diehl

Though this may not seem like a big deal to some,It was a big step forward this week-end here at Team Russell. As everyone may remember this engine came home in a basket and was only about 70% there as it was a donor/parts engine. Everything between the Rev. lever to the D valve was missing and had to be made or cast and then machined. You can take all the photos you want (about 200 ) and have 10 pages of notes and measurements(from 3 different 6 hp Russells, Thanks guys!!!!) but till you get an opportunity to try it ,you always will wonder, will it work. Did I measure and then did I do my machine work correctly! Seeing her run on air was a great way to listen to the Daytona 500 Sunday!
Though the inlet pipe for the steam is 1 1/4"(and yes I know STEAM has much more punch than air) we set up an 1/2" air hose and after setting our valve and readjusting the Rev. rod length. She turned over her own flywheel and ran for the first time in 95 years. (last run in 1916) even if only on air.
Next major item to do is dump all the broken clutch parts out on the floor and decide how I will do this area.------TWD:O

Jeff Smith

Subscriber
Re: 6hp Russell tractions runs for first time since 1916.(kinda-on air!!!!

Pictures??????????????????.......................................:O

Nice work...............(even without any pictures :D )..........:wave:

Thomas Diehl

Sorry :O,totally forgot to take any, was lost in the moment and very busy pouring the oil to her and adjusting everything!!. Truth is I am not that high teck.:bonk::shrug:-------------TWD

Dan Donaldson

That is great news!
I am glad that I was able to be part of your project a few years back. I look forward to seeing the engine run under steam.

Dan
"Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

AndyG

Re: 6hp Russell Traction Engine runs for first time since 1916 (kinda-on air!)

Good news. Not much longer now. I'm ready to come up and burn the paint off of the smokebox for you!:D

Thomas Diehl

Mike& Andy: I am half way there!!! I now can start where most restorations begin. (but with new boiler, I would hope no boiler work!!)-----------TWD

ps. Will see if Beth can add a link to a previous Thread:What did your engine look like when you brought her home?--------TWD

Beth V

Sorry Tom, count me out for a few days...the ice has disconnected our power & phone lines. I won't have access until HOPEFULLY Thursday!

Tom,

I started the tanks Saturday, sounds like you will be needing them in the next couple of daze?

Congrats on hearing her turn over.

Later,
Dale M

rumely fan

Email NOT Working

congratulations, if you get any pictures on here itll be really nice to see it!

John C. Neagley

Subscriber

Hi Tom,
Old Lyman Knapp sure would be pleased to see your incredible progress restoring the little Russell and to hear of your getting the engine running after so much work.
As a former [brief] owner of your engine, a hearty "congratulations" and the very best to you.

Thomas Diehl

Rumely Fan.: Follow the link Mike put up , Photos down page at about post #10. John you where on my list to call (but you beat me to it)and thanks. Dale glad to hear the water tanks are in the works but still will be awhile till I am ready for them. Mike thanks for the link . For some reason I am out of thanks so thanks be to all. You all are a great bunch and many thanks for your help and many kind words of encouragement . Been a fun 6 years of part time work (play) .Hopefully one more year will wrap this project up and then on to the Canton Monitor!!!Lets hope the best is yet to come. STEAM UP!!!!Full Steam Ahead!-------TWD

Now time on here could be spent on the engine so we see the wheels go round.

greysteam24hp

I still have power to run my computer. I heard that southern Michigan area were out of power for the rest of this week.

Tom's photo. I copy link and placed from other thread.

Here it goes!

Fred Cooper

Tom,
I take my hat off to you sir. I've done plenty of repairs including boiler work, but it takes a good man to do the full works.

I'm sure she will reward all your blood, sweat, and tears, with hours of fun.
Well done,
Fred

Steve Kunz

Subscriber

Congratulations Tom, BEAUTIFUL JOB! :O

Jeff Smith

Subscriber

Done yet???.......................................:O

I know..........................:kick:

We are STILL waiting on new photos though...............:D

:wave:

Mike McKnight

A video of it running (on air) would be even nicer.....:O But as ol' Tom said, I'm sure he's had his hands too full doing actual WORK :D on the ol' girl to take the time to take pics or vids!

That's why I like having a camera on my cell phone-always right there in my pocket to document whatever I need to document-pics aren't the greatest but sump'n beats nut'n anytime! :brows:

Mike

Thomas Diehl

Mike:
Have had a few visitors lately to see her run. If anyone would stop in who has this video/computer ability , I would gladly fire the air compressor up and run her for them and this thread!!!!!-----------TWD