• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

7 HP Kohler with carter N carb

Last Subscription Date
04/22/2019
I can not get this engine to go off of idle with out stalling. Rebuilt carb with new diagrham, needle valve and gasket. Checked all passages and high speed needle openings.

Ifound this problem mentioned on other post but no solutions. Any help apprreciated.

Just acquired this engine on a Wheel Horse lawn tractor!!

K-Tron

Registered
There should not be any diaphragms in a Carter model N built for a K161. Are you sure the carburetor is original to your application? A carburetor from say a 241 or even a 181 mounted on a 161 will make your engine run terrible. The cast in place venturi is way too big for the smaller displacement engines. I recently rebuilt a 141 and ran into this problem, a 181 carb on a smaller engine. I would check that you have the float set properly, and check your valves for cleanliness and valve lash. Improperly set valves and dirty or chipped seats will cause compression to blow the air fuel mix right out of the engine.

Chris

Motormowers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
What spark plug are you using? You cant use a J8 or J17LM or J19LM they dont have hot enough spark for it. Try a Champion H10C and see how it throttles up after.

Last Subscription Date
04/22/2019
All great tips. I will check them out and let you know how I make out. But it will be a week or so, taking a little trip to Mass.
Thanks Tim

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
The smallest kohler i have owned was a k241 and i still have it! I have had some of the larger K series also and one thing i can say is they were all cold natured! after they warm up they would all go all day long. the only problems i ran into were on the K301? and the K321, both of these had one head stud and it would loosen up and let the compression out would still run but like crap! I used locktite on the stud and never had it happen again. the other issue was a simple but hard to get to fix, points adjustment.

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
I just went and looked up the K161, looks like the same design as the 241. I did have one issue with my 241, the fuel pump went out and it would run fine untill it got down to about a half a tank of fuel. mine has the factory kohler fuel tank that is bolted right to the motor, but i am sure there are variations of the fuel setup.