• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE in your location!

8" Rider Ericsson Hot Air Engine

Crossley Kid

Registered
Have been after this one for a few years. Didn't think I'd get a chance to restore it.

Even came with a spare hot bulb.
So nice to find one in it's original place of work.

Brent Rowell

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/14/2016
Nice find. Looks like it's next to a river. Were you able to find out the history of its use there--for irrigation? Did it have a nameplate? Should be able to find the serial no. on one of the cranks or end of the crankshaft. Thanks for posting.

Crossley Kid

Registered

Yep got all the history I could. It used to pump water from the river to a high tank to supply the house. Does anyone sell the leathers for the pistons and the water pump ?

Brent Rowell

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/14/2016
No one here makes leathers for Riders, but they're not hard to make using the engine's pistons and cylinders to form them. There are a couple suppliers of pump leathers.

Crossley Kid

Registered
Had to go back and pick up the engine last Sunday.
Thought a small truck would be better than a trailer due to the not so good roads.

Had it home one day and got the cold side piston out. Got the hot side soaking.

Crossley Kid

Registered
Got the hot piston out also the water pump removed and mostly stripped down. What are the check vales made of ?? Rubber Balls ??

Last edited:

Brent Rowell

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/14/2016
Check valves were originally solid rubber rods. I've used polyurethane rods and I'm sure others have tried other materials.