• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

8HP Briggs recoil starter

ronm

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
B&S experts: I have an 8 horse B&S on my service truck compressor, model 190402. The recoil starter is shot, totally worn out...what I'm finding on the net is this type:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Recoil-Pull-Start-Assy-Fits-Briggs-Engines-390391-693900-/142244328155?hash=item211e6c32db:g:Un0AAOSwo4pYeP1T

The clutch is different than my original, but seems like the original style is NLA? even the official B&S parts site shows that one, for about double the money, of course......
So, will it work? that cup thingie replaces the old style clutch, I assume?
Thanks-

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017
Yes, the sprag and cup replaces the ball and pawl system. HOWEVER you may have to cut off part of the crankshaft to allow the new starter to fit. I would do some research and check other sources for an original type starter before making a drastic change to your engine. Once you cut the crank, it is done, and you can't take it back to original. Have a look at the Stak sponsors pages - look for small engine parts suppliers. They probably can come up with an original starter for you, or would be more able to tell you id the newer starter will work on your older engine.

sprkplug

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/17/2020
I can still quote the part number for the ball type clutch off the top of my head.....if it hasn't changed in the last year or so....399671. Should still be available.

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017
I believe he is looking for the recoil assembly itself. The spring may be weak, the bushing where the rope leaves the starter may be worn badly enough that it cuts the new rope, or the plastic recoil hub may be cracked and or broken. Usually the ball and pawl clutch will outlast the engine, not so the recoil assembly. Stil, a new or used replacement still should be available.

gdstew

Registered
I replaced one of those a few years ago and when it broke less than a year later, I had to contact B & S looking for repair parts. B & S did not have any parts available at that time and customer had to buy a new starter assy, cup and all! May be different now, don't know.

I liked the old style starter and would rebuild if possible. If the rope grommet is worn out, you could try putting a bushing in the hole. Flair one end of the bushing ( brass tube) with a tapered head bolt by putting screw in tube and tighten up with a nut. The nut will pull the head into the tube and make a cone. Put tube in starter, (JB Weld maybe) and flare the other end!

ronm

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
I believe he is looking for the recoil assembly itself. The spring may be weak, the bushing where the rope leaves the starter may be worn badly enough that it cuts the new rope, or the plastic recoil hub may be cracked and or broken. Usually the ball and pawl clutch will outlast the engine, not so the recoil assembly. Stil, a new or used replacement still should be available.
Pretty much all of the above...the spring is weak, the rope pulley is starting to disintegrate, the hole for the rope is worn out, the rope is shot, the handle is not good...you get the picture. The clutch is OK, I cleaned & lubed it up.
Of course, there's used original style ones on ebay, but they want twice what a new one costs...didn't really want to take a chance on a used one being any better than what I have. I wasn't able to find a new old style starter anywhere on the net, including the B&S parts site.
But, like Andrew said, I don't really like the idea of cutting the crank off either.
Basically just wanted to know if that one would fit, I don't use the compressor that much any more, just cleaned out the carb & filed the points & it runs fine, but the whole starter is not long for this world...
Thanks for the ideas...

Steve Kunz

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
I have been waiting to see the answers, I have a 8hp B&S that the recoil is getting in bad shape also. I wish there was just a old time bolt on notched pulley to rap the rope around that would fit.
Be sure to post if you find any good replacements!

ronm

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Well, here's what I did...took a chance & bought a used original starter assembly off ebay. Looks to be in good shape, at least better than what I have. About the same price as the aftermarket new ones, but I was really not thrilled about cutting the snout off the crank...We'll see how I did when it gets here.

ronm

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Starter got here today, & it looks good-much better than my old one. Wrong color, but I can deal with that. :rolleyes: I should probably scrape off the "Magnetron" sticker, wouldn't want to mislead anybody...
Have to give a thumbs up to "Floyd's Outdoor Power" in Michigan.

wyoben

Registered
Howdy Folx, newbie here , I will try to be brief .Im working on what appears to be an old coleman generator ,Powermate 54400 ? with the 8 h.p. Brigss /Stratton engine model # 190412 type 3098 01 code 90013012 .The issue is the starter clutch , {see attatched pix } mine has no threads,and it mates to the nut on the flywheel shaft , the only available ones I see look round and threaded , can anyone assist in helping me figure this out , and where to look for parts ? Thanks Ben

Attachments

Ogrebeast64

Registered
Howdy Folx, newbie here , I will try to be brief .Im working on what appears to be an old coleman generator ,Powermate 54400 ? with the 8 h.p. Brigss /Stratton engine model # 190412 type 3098 01 code 90013012 .The issue is the starter clutch , {see attatched pix } mine has no threads,and it mates to the nut on the flywheel shaft , the only available ones I see look round and threaded , can anyone assist in helping me figure this out , and where to look for parts ? Thanks Ben
It looks to me that a hex nut was once pressed in, and when the clutch split it came loose. It's probably still on the crankshaft.