• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Your account is then manually checked and approved. There is too much funny business on the web for us to do otherwise. Be sure to use a working email address and do not use cloaking or anonymous web connections.

9 HP Portable Otto Gas Engine Mechanical Restoration

LCJudge

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/14/2019
Do tell what the "get out of Jail Free card" is... :cool:
Its my official ID Card that identifies me as a Judge. Some that have them have been known to use them when they get in a scrape, are stopped on the interstate and so on to request "professional courtesy" in the situation. Of course, I've never done that.......:music

Jason Dahm coined the phrase for the card as once me and another engine guy, Dick Brown, were here in KY traveling down the interstate headed to Coolspring. I don't know if I was going a bit to fast, the Trooper didn't like the looks of my load of junk or what but the blue lights came on behind me. I pulled over and the state trooper walked up to my window and when I rolled it down he recognized me and said "Oh, be careful" and walked back to his car and drove off. When we got to Coolspring Dick was having some fun telling the story and Jason said "I bet Tommy had used his Get Out Of Jail Free Card on that guy before". The name has stuck since.

Last edited:

Harvey Teal

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/22/2019
Its my official ID Card that identifies me as a Judge. Some that have them have been known to use them when they get in a scrape, are stopped on the interstate and so on to request "professional courtesy" in the situation. Of course, I've never done that.......:music

Jason Dahm coined the phrase for the card as once me and another engine guy, Dick Brown, were here in KY traveling down the interstate headed to Coolspring. I don't know if I was going a bit to fast, the Trooper didn't like the looks of my load of junk or what but the blue lights came on behind me. I pulled over and the state trooper walked up to my window and when I rolled it down he recognized me and said "Oh, be careful" and walked back to his car and drove off. When we got to Coolspring Dick was having some fun telling the story and Jason said "I bet Tommy had used his Get Out Of Jail Free Card on that guy before". The name has stuck since.
I could use one of those along with my Oklahoma credit card....

Chris Epping

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
Well, we seem to have the history and linage of the engine chronicled. Thanks to those that helped put the puzzle pieces together.

A bit of time has lapsed since the piston was sent to the foundry and we have a fresh casting back and ready to machine. It looks a bit rough at the moment, but pretty sure there is a nice piston hiding in there. First step is to hit the surface with a flap wheel grinder to smooth it up and make it easier to setup.

F60BE5CC-9BBD-4F35-BE78-2761F8AA4882.jpegF4F1A73E-9A33-4D38-90A8-C20851A71EEF.jpeg81945122-3C86-4EF2-9B05-D10F71028B1B.jpeg3D3F74A4-AA69-42F4-B142-7ECF16F468D9.jpeg

Joel Mosley

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/21/2020
Just curious if there are some artistic liberties with those drawings or are the last two engines similar to a Flower City. It almost looks like the rails are part of the engine and the cylinder and the main bearings are attached to the engine truck rails vs. a cast iron block or base.

Chris Epping

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
Just curious if there are some artistic liberties with those drawings or are the last two engines similar to a Flower City. It almost looks like the rails are part of the engine and the cylinder and the main bearings are attached to the engine truck rails vs. a cast iron block or base.
I had wondered the same thing Joel! I looks like a girder frame engine. Not sure if they ever built any that way or not.

Chris Epping

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
Thanks Rob, interesting to see the differences. It’s odd the early ones don’t seem to have the cast crank shield. Thanks.

LCJudge

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/14/2019
If you'll notice the rim face of the flywheel on that side of the engine is extra wide, like an electric lighting flywheel. My guess is that was to run a belt off the rim of the flywheel for whatever reason (generator, some need for high speed, etc). With that thought, I'd think Chris' idea is correct, that its an idler pulley for a flywheel rim driven belt.