• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

'91 Generac 15kw LP 3.0GM Looking for Guidance...

JiminIndiana

Registered
I have a '91 Generac 15kw LP 3.0L GM that I'm in the process of installing for home use...

Originally was setup for liquid lp w/ vaporizer. Carbturbo helped me convert it to vapor with a new demand reg. Finally got the fuel set up with a solid 11"wc on the inlet of the demand reg.

What I'm having issues with are sorting out the 'beer can' solenoid/actuator that drives the carb/mixer. The solenoid goes into full motion when I start the unit. It stops there and doesn't seem to adjust for the engine speed.

I had to disconnected it and run the throttle by hand to make sure everything else worked.

I can run the throttle manually by hand, hold it at 1800rpm, set 120vac and get 59-60 hz. From what I've gathered so far, it could be a Barber-Coleman or Woodward actuator.

Any advice/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

It is a model# 91A 03837 S
Type# SG015-A163.0L18CDYYY

If anyone has a link to any documentation that would be great.

Thanks,

-Jim in Indiana

Birken Vogt

Email NOT Working
Re: '91 Generac 15kw LP 3.0GM looking for guidance...

I have just been working on one of these, governor seems to be working though.

The actuator works off a variable voltage from the gov driver which seems to have just MPU and 12VDC for inputs.

Explain your problem a little more, I am not quite sure what is happening to your setup. The actuator pulls open when cranking and then the engine takes off and runs? Does it overspeed or what? If you let off with your hand does it go faster or slower?

JiminIndiana

Registered

I have just been working on one of these, governor seems to be working though.

The actuator works off a variable voltage from the gov driver which seems to have just MPU and 12VDC for inputs.

Explain your problem a little more, I am not quite sure what is happening to your setup. The actuator pulls open when cranking and then the engine takes off and runs? Does it overspeed or what? If you let off with your hand does it go faster or slower?
Thanks for the reply...

Initially, I disconnected the linkage from the carb to the actuator when we were fighting fuel issues... At first, I didn't have enough fuel pressure (inch wc) and it ran very rough. So I disconnected the link from the actuator to the carb. We fixed the fuel issue (bigger fuel piping) and now have a solid 11"wc supply pressure.

Currently, I run the carb with my hand. The actuator always goes into full extended movement and stays there. It does not respond to any of my manual rpm variations. I would have thought it would move and try to correct the rpm/carb, even though its not connected to the carb.

I'm reluctant to re-connect the actuator because it appears to be always in full wide-open, on and after start up and does not move back at all. The actuator only moves back on shutdown.

Maybe I'm overlooking something?

Thanks,
-Jim

Birken Vogt

Email NOT Working

You are correct that it should be trying to go full open when the engine is below 60 Hz and it should be trying to pull it closed when the engine is above 60 Hz. Or something close to that, maybe the governor board is not set quite right.

The one I worked on again today has an unstable/sluggish governor. It works, but the set point is drifting all over. I am going to replace it with something by GAC or Woodward.

It is not real similar, though, because the actuator/throttle body are a sealed unit with no exposed linkage. And the governor board looks like Generac but does not appear original in the way it was installed.

JiminIndiana

Registered

Thanks BV. I may install one of the GAC ESD5500E type controller/actuator units.

If anyone has any links to any documentation for this Generac that would be great. When I call Generac support they tell me it was/is an industrial unit and to call a dealer.

Thanks again,
-Jim

pegasuspinto

Registered
Why do you think your unit is 1991? I bet it's not that old.

Post a pic of the governor driver and acutator. Also the front of the control panel.

The actuator sounds fine. 12vdc should snap it to full throttle and it should snap back shut when voltage is removed.

JiminIndiana

Registered
Update: Installed a ESD5500 kit that included governor unit, actuator and pickup. Took some tweaking but runs great. Now on to installing a DeepSea controller to run the transfer switch.

Thanks for all the advice.

-Jim

armandh

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
09/02/2010
since you have added a demand regulator

there should be no variable valving

the demand regulator allows more fuel through when there is more suction on the inlet side of the throttle plate