• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

A 4hp REID project by John Burns

66Crew

Re: 4hp reid bedplate patterns

John, very interesting seeing those patterns. Can you by chance give some more details on the project. I have a few questions about it like:

Are you going to make a production run of them or is this just a one off project?

Is making your own bedplate cost effective?

Any plans on having more parts made?

Thanks
Jon

John Burns

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/27/2010
Jon,
I am going to reproduce the 4hp REID gas engine , limited quantities, max 19 sets of castings! Currently I am going to make four units for personal use, this leaves 15 sets of unmachined castings for sale. I do not know what these will cost until the entire project is done.

John

Photo 1: Here is the first casting! Not good enough, it goes back to the furnace.

Photo 2, 3: Here are some pictures of completed parts for the REID project. I blackened the cast iron oilers with a product called brass black m-24. They came out ok! We made the oilers in two sizes, 2/3 and 3/4 of the origonal size!
Also shown is a completed governor finished in boiled linseed oil and ineral spirits.

Photo 4: Here are a few updates on the REID project. 5 Bedplates 36 bearing caps. Cylinder pattern almost finished!

Attachments

John Burns

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/27/2010
Photo 1: First load of bedplate castings going to coolspring.

Photo 2: Crankshaft billets, ready to start machining, valves finished. Crankshafts are 4140, valves 1045 steel.

Photo 3: More pictures of the crankshaft!

jjb

Attachments

Brad Kelley

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Re: 4hp REID project

I've never seen a crankshaft made or ground. I'd be interested to see how all the machining is done if you could take some pics during.
Great looking project!!

John Burns

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/27/2010

Jordan,
We are a pilot run of building 4 engines, I am machining one extra part (will probably make one more engine). there will only 19 sets of castings max. I figure what we don't build for ourselves someone might want.

john

Doug Waggonner

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/13/2011

Hi John :wave:
Have you entertained the thought of selling casting kits? I sure hope you hold on to all of those patterns! :O

John Burns

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/27/2010

won't know prices till we finish all patterns and castings. About two years from now!

John

Jordan

Registered

john,

thats ok i just thought i would ask. please keep us up to date on your progress. this is a very intersting project.

jordan

John Burns

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/27/2010
4 hp REID project

Here is a picture of the patterns (2), and core box's (11), that are needed to cast the Reid cylinder. These patterns will go to the foundry after the first of the year!

John

Attachments

Frank Stenger

Registered
Re: 4 hp REID project

Wow, John, as a newbie I'm in awe at the amount
of work represented in your pictures!! Way to go!
Frank Stenger

Tom Weatherford

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
04/27/2016

John
Great looking job! Are you making the patterns your self?
Keep up the good work. I know it is a labor of Love.
Tom

windmiller

Registered

..just beautiful, John!! I have been doing rubber mold and plastic patterns for one-off and short run iron castings and its an incredible amount of work.
But no where near what you have there in the pictures!! Anyone who buys a casting from you, at whatever cost, needs to appreciate all the efforts it took to get to that point!!
Thankx for sharing!
Mike

Jordan

Registered

looking good. keep up the good work john, and please do keep us updated.

thanks
jordan

Jordan

Registered

looking good john. keep 'er up. looking forward to see it completed.

jordan