• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

A 5 year wait for an old lathe.

Duey C

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/08/2019
Had a lucky past couple days. An old friend that I’ve known forever and have worked with called me.
Turns out he and his son were talking about cleaning up Mike’s old lathe, getting it out of the welding, fab and machining shop and putting it in his office, his son asks him “When are we gonna do that.” The old friend replies I’ll call Duane.

The old friend had gotten the lathe from an auto/electric repair shop a fellows dad had started decades before. The fellow got sick and the old friend had been visiting near daily as he worked to near the end and then lay down.
The old friend got stuck with the task of cleaning out the shop. I saved a few goodies yet missed a bunch more due to timing, storage and sale price questions with the widow etc... He had a deadline as the building was soon refurbished and occupied by another business right after. OK. It was what it was.

I head out to the friend’s shop, we talked a bit about it and I asked what do ya want for it.
He gave me the lathe yester (Friday) and the son loaded it today (Saturday) with old Orangy, a tough old Namco forklift.
He gave it to me.
If I die first, the lathe goes back to the old friend if in limbo and unwanted.

I had remembered #38103 to be March of ‘29 but it’s a bit earlier in ‘28.
Type C (no quick-change nor power cross feed), 9“ swing x 4-1/2 bed and catalog number 22-RC.
Registry over at wswells’ site will show up in a couple days. The fourth lathe surviving here and the second South Bend.
A 1911 SB, this 1928 SB, an ‘18 or so Wood/Woods Brothers angled turret and a little chinaman from the 90‘s.
8 change gears, center rest and a full compliment of tooling. Even a milling attachment and some other goodies. Multi knurl set-up too.
Needs belts. McMaster-Carr will likely supply a belt. Suggestions on the particulars on that flat belt?
He's cleaning up real nice!

The counter shaft for the wall or ceiling has had something cut off.
What’s been cut off?
Very happy tonight. Very. :)

Attachments

Tom Stockton

Last Subscription Date
01/30/2020
Old? That's old?
It looks like it still has that new lathe smell.
Run it gently during the break in period.

Btw, that's a good one to save.
My only suggestion is to try to find a used belt.
New ones are very spendy.

Norm W

Registered
You got the lathe and all the goodies to run it. The is a great deal. As for the belt, conveyor belting and round baler belting can be laced up and used. TSC had baler belting on sale a while ago. It was about 8" wide and I bought 6' of it. Screwed it between two pieces of 1/4 ply and cut it on a table saw to 2" strips. Replaced all the belts on the lathe and the mill. No slipping now.

Duey C

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/08/2019
Messing with the lathe and “belt” play.

Not to out-do caser. Just my own madness. :)
Wonderful replies! Thank you!
On the 1911 SB lathe, I did have sections of 4 foot wide conveyor belting cut in the shear and borrowed a Clipper lacer but those days are long done. I did win the 1000+ pound Fairbanks scale on the auction at work, the day I was......... neighbor picked it up for me as i wasn't allowed to... Cool! Fun stuff!

Just messing around like Wally and the Beav...
Wired up a new cord as I wanted a ground on the lathe and then messed around with belts.

Found a crappy/twisted old belt in the grudge (the garage) for the motor and jack shaft that’ll work. Cool!
Set up a tensioner for that belt. A spring was on the the top deck of the stand and I ran across a spool of wire, why not?
The Allen Bradley switch works good and the motor had been wired to reverse. Neat! Snugged connections.
The polarized bits had been reversed. OK.
Oh! The small blade is is the hot wire and the wider blade on a plug is the neutral.
One more check to be certain that is correct...
Fixed-up/made an old belt to run the spindle for now. Stuck/Shelter In Place may happen soon here. OK.
Clean/fix/repair kinda like the old days. What’s on hand...?
Next up: Turning a 21-32 Twin City engine exhaust pipe to specs. :)
Try this. Good fun:
Oh. I don’t money for views or such on the tub. My clips garner few views and that’s OK. :)

Duey C

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/08/2019
Out in the yard in the sun (when available/better for us) and then the Cozy Little Shop; home for now.
Glad to have more time.
Much to do!

Pulled the chuck apart, cleaned it up,oiled all parts (hint) and it’s much better. Turned out a Twin City valve guide remover today.
Worked good. BIG 1/2“ ID valve guides. .9375 OD!
Thoughts about a good 1-1/2“ X 8? back plate chuck for this little bugger and valve guides maybe?

3696 Twin City exhaust pipe replica done with an old belt from Maw’s pants a few days ago.
Oil wiped off the pipe.

086 The Atlas chuck in pieces. #126 Atlas, 5“, BB 435 chuck is still junk. Scroll fits so perfectly snug in the chuck body, without oil, takes time to install/remove. Nice. Jaws have their issues, rounded faces where the part contacts. Belt sander... Fix... Naughty, naughty.

698 Unshared details out there. 32 thou stainless wire for stitching the belt, 3/32 holes drilled in the belt, 3 silent/aligned wire laces for me on the serpentine belt. Man, does he pull! Wire just settling in.
An old gas engine ad said “Pulls like a bull pup.” That’s these belts. Man, will he cut now.
Son says braided fishing line for stitching serp belts is available at sams wal marx. For catching a Marlin...
12 pound test locally...

353 The magnetic jaws (GRRR), the guide and remover.
Keep at it.

Attachments

Monsonmotors

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/22/2020
During the early 90s, the auto repair shop I worked in had an old Sebastian Lathe. It was more display than anything, very nice condition. Converted to electric motor with an actual factory-made kit.
I lusted after it, and began asking about it. That’s almost 30 years ago, now.
The business partners who ran the shop split up and I had to track the lathe down as it moved to another shop.
The ownership was tricky: the lathe sat in one repair shop, the deal to get it originally was done by the ex-partner, and a third person actually owned it.
Trying to purchase it always sent me in the circle described above. And no one would ever mention a price! Asking about it opened old wounds, and so around and around I went for 10-20 years.
Recently, the owner of the shop where the lathe was has decided to sell out and retire. That opened the door!
His shop actually used the lathe to cut driveshafts. He is cranky to begin with, and trying to negotiate the lathe’s departure required extreme delicacy. However, he didn’t own the lathe! He was just used to it being around.
The ex-partner did not claim ownership, but was the only one who knew who really owned the lathe.
Luckily, the owner turned out to be an old customer and friend. However, he never sells anything!
In a very rare moment, he listened to my detective and political tale and very reluctantly agreed to sell it. $500.
Somehow, I had the cash on me. The deal was done!
I quickly fabricated skis for the legs and had our local tow truck transport the lathe before anyone could say no. I royally pissed off the shop owner.
Good times!

Duey C

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/08/2019
Hahaha! Nice lathe. How big?
Even better story! Thank you! I'll bet you ran to get that deal done. :)
My tractor dealer is stuck in that situ with a Cat 60.
Shoot, best I got is I saw this red lathe when I was a kid, walking past with my dad going into Mike's shop.
The 1911, 13x6 is about the same. Passed by it for years going out the back door of Owen's shop.
Fun story about Owen: An insurance man showed up and was going thru his auto repair shop with him and saw a compresor with no cord end on it and asked about it. Owen plugged the bare wires into the outlet, let it run and when it was up to pressure, the belt flew off and "unplugged" it...

Monsonmotors

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/22/2020
Oh, and the real owner of the lathe threw in a very early power pipe threader! Like the first one after the flat belt era. You can drive it in either fashion. Every time I see the original lathe owner he says he is on the way to get both machines back. And he’s serious. I just keep my mouth shut. Small towns! I should be appointed the ambassador to somewhere after that! What a lesson in sweet talking that all was.

Duey C

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/08/2019
Yep, mum's the word. What a strange situation...
The Ambassador of Get Along and Shhh? ;)
You gotta showcase that pipe threading machine and lathe someday.
Owen kinda leaned over on his door when driving the car and dad was always a little spooked whilst riding on their travels out west. He had such a sense of humor. 'Spose why dad gravitated. He did too.
They had nothing but Lorraine always had a cold soda for this little boy. And her huge fern in her kitchen...
Can bottoms and lids patching the house siding outside.
Thanks M, thoughts I haven't... Glad to remember tho.
Started cleaning the lead screw with a heavy string. Many things on this ol' mind. Work isn't one of them.
Thankful.
I type too much always! :)

Monsonmotors

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/22/2020
Wonderful thread, Duey! I guess when we both start crying it’s time to REALLY start talking about the past. Lol. Nothing like old memories...