• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

A Hit And Miss Engine Throws A Belt

David Cave

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/19/2019
I was running an engine on my dyno with a flat belt not tight enough. When a flat belt slips it's almost impossible to keep it on the pulley. You can actually see the belt running curved as slippage tries to run it off and the crown effect tries to keep it on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBBzrP7MRc8

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017
A common problem, especially if under a heavy load - tight or not. Often a set of guide stakes are put into the ground, near the engine, so as to keep the belt in line. Another method is to cross the belt. not sure if you can run your device backwards though.

David Cave

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/19/2019
Thanks Andrew. Yes if I was outside I would stake it. It's summer in Phoenix so I'm inside. I have an earlier video building the dyno followed by one running and calibrating the dyno. That second video shows the two bars I use to keep things from moving around. In this case I just forgot to tighten the belt after I made some changes. I thought it was interesting that you can actually see the belt curve so I put it up as a video. The dyno will run backwards but I would have to do a little rewiring.

Mike in NC

Staff member
Last Subscription Date
04/15/2020
Put a half-twist in the belt. Meaning one end the belt is right side out and at the other end it would be inside out. It would still be running in the same direction as in your video.