• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Be certain that you have spelled your email address correctly! Your account is then manually checked and approved.

A Model of a New Kind of Horsepower

EmersonFan

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/08/2020
Hi, this is Mike from PAMA - the Paulson Ag Museum of Argyle.
When I met Warren Paulson back in August 2012, I knew every time I visit that place I'd find something new.
I'm over there, on average, once a week or more these days, and sure enough, I keep finding new stuff.

Several months ago, I saw something on a shelf in a glass case, but we didn't have the key to the case. I figured we'd find the keys eventually.

We found the key. I got this thingamajig out today and took some pictures of it.
Has anyone seen anything like it?

It looks like someone's working model for something; I just don't know if it was ever built.
I think I can see the value of it - you leave this artifact standing in the field over the well or cistern - the animal pumps his own water. I think it might work for horses or cattle.

What do you all think?

I have a little video of it also - I don't know how to upload those to smokstak

I just realized there is nothing in these pictures to establish scale - it's about 8 inches tall and 8 or 9 inches in diameter.

Attachments

Beanscoot

Registered
Re: A model of a new kind of horsepower

Many many years ago patent applications would typically require a working model, could this be one?

I have heard that no model is required nowadays unless the patent application is for a perpetual motion machine.

EmersonFan

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/08/2020
Re: A model of a new kind of horsepower

LOL - I have heard that too
- and I think this might be one of those.
But I've never seen such a machine.

Leonardo Da Vinci, I THINK, got patents on stuff he never built, right?
Or maybe he just drew pictures.

Just because someone built a model doesn't mean it was ever a thing, right?

The first time I saw it, I thought it could be a patent model.
but I don't really know anything about patents or patent models.
I don't think this is a perpetual motion machine, because it would take horsepower or cowpower to make it work.

It looks like a clever contraption, though, doesn't it?