• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

A RARE find of a lifetime Schleicher Schumm inverted Otto

JSWithers

Registered
Thank Rik for the pictures of your engine .Mine and Mikes looks very similar to yours . Yours look much heavier then ours . would you consider yours throttle governed ? I am not sure about ours yet . Any green Ottos over there ? we did win the lottery when I found it . Thanks again Scott
Riks engine clearly shows a pendulum governor. I would say it is not throttling. His does work differently than yours because it is operating the gas valve where yours does not appear to.

rik lemmens

Registered
Hello Brain and motor friends
This is the motor.
He has indeed a pendulum governer on the gas valve.
Specifically, he pulls the valve open with a hook.
whether more green is over the river?
Our ancestors have the most in WW I and WW II melted down for guns.
But fortunately there are still some, in other colors too, note the second photo, left beside the name plate, This is a project I have retired.
Thank you so much for the nice comments
Rik

Mike O

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
08/12/2019
I went up to Scotts place yesterday to visit and play with the Otto. Scott had made a nice base platform for it to sit on. We fooled around with the gas cock dialing it the proper amount of fuel and then we tinkered with the governor adjustment and were able to make the old girl run pretty well on the governor hit and missing.
Then after that we took the spark plug out and made up a quick little hot tube set up and used a plumbers torch and ran it for a bit on a makeshift hot tube.

Here are a couple of videos to see. If someone knows how to inbed them in my post rather then a link please feel free to do so.

Thanks Mike

https://youtu.be/O4hqfmFj71U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMXCBrL-M88

Keven Withers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/14/2020
Very nice! Running like an Otto should! I would leave that timer on the engine if you convert it over to hot tube. It is to nicely done. It may be possible to incorporate both plug and hot tube.

Last edited:

RustySteele

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/11/2019
Hi Mike, great find! I just picked up a bound volume of Scientific American from 1889, and found a small article with your engine pictured! Thought you`d like to see it, it`s from the October 12, 1889 issue so maybe you can find one, I`ll see if I can find another copy, if I do it`s yours.

Attachments

Mike O

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
08/12/2019
Hi Mike, great find! I just picked up a bound volume of Scientific American from 1889, and found a small article with your engine pictured! Thought you`d like to see it, it`s from the October 12, 1889 issue so maybe you can find one, I`ll see if I can find another copy, if I do it`s yours.

That's Awesome Thanks for sharing :)

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017
For the most part, you must be very sure that the engine is on a solid stabil and heavy base. Pendelum governors are very sensitive to movement, and if the engine moves at all it can set up a rocking couple movement that can disrupt the governor action. Great find and nice to see it at Coolspring. Thanks so much for sharing your experiance with it. :cool: :D
Andrew

JSWithers

Registered
For the most part, you must be very sure that the engine is on a solid stabil and heavy base. Pendelum governors are very sensitive to movement, and if the engine moves at all it can set up a rocking couple movement that can disrupt the governor action. Great find and nice to see it at Coolspring. Thanks so much for sharing your experiance with it. :cool: :D
Andrew
This is a funny statement. We had a 4hp upright Otto marine engine with a pendulum governor. Do you think there was a little unstable movement with that engine...?

Rob Charles

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
04/05/2017
Backus did offer a portable engine probably in the teens. Their pendulum govs are pretty sensitive to shaking. Must have had to do a lot of blocking to get it to run okay.

JSWithers

Registered
In my experience marine engines never have govenors.
I would say for the most part that is a true statement. And most were 2 cycle. But our 4hp Otto was a 4 cycle upright with a pendulum governor identical to the 3 other 3 1/2hp Otto verticals we have owned. The difference being it had a different base, a single heavier flywheel and a built on reversing gear for forward and reverse. It even had the normal fuel pump and overflow mixer set up. We showed it at Rollag for many years alongside a 3 1/2. It now resides in north central North Dakota. It was the only one we had ever seen and was last at Rollag in 2005 for the Otto Expo.

Jon Rozevink

Engine Buyer
Last Subscription Date
02/10/2020
Gearless Olds were made as portables and had pendulum govs.

I'm not an expert in old marine engines but I've never seen one 2
cycle or 4 cycle with a governor... Not saying there isn't one out there but why would it have been even been made?