• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

A Root & Vandervoort 1HP - ½ scale engine

Paul Spence

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
was found on a guy’s trailer fender at the Coolspring, Pa. show on the “LAST” day? It looked OK, complete, dry, and with little compression. He said he builds models, gets them running and then puts them on the shelf. It was covered in brass debris from grinding other brass parts in the shop. He wanted X $’s, but was open to offers so I did just that. Well you know the story, “OH, I can’t do that”. So, I bumped the offer by a hundred, and then another hundred before he said “OK”. I paid for it and grabbed it by the flywheel and walked away. I cleaned the filings and old oil off it at our Coolspring spot and boxed it up for the ride home. I got it running at home and the compression came right up after oiling. The latch arm against the gear was ground away to much and the latch finger was a good ½” away from the catch and a good ¼” play when latched up (clank-clankety-clank) :crazy: . I got the torch and braze rod out and built up the boss about ¼” and ground it to fit. I dug out a used hacksaw blade (I save a lot of stuff) and made a new latch finger to fit. I now have about a 1/16” play for both latch clearances :) . It still needs a few “MINOR” adjustments to get it the way I want it. I’m going to replace the extended all rod with “CUSTOM” made bolts with brass acorn nuts making it “LOOK EVEN BETTER” :) . I contacted Rocky's Model Shop and for $10 am getting a full set of plans for the model. The Coolspring, Pa. show was a lot of fun, but I still am having fun in the shop, even in NJ :confused: where it’s going to rain for the next day or so.

Attachments

Paul Spence

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
I had (TOOK :O ) time today to fuss with the model. Put some Coleman fuel in the tank, choked it and got it running. Not bad for what it is :shrug: . I still need to tinker and play with it some more to get it the way I want it to run. BUT, for now, it’s OK :brows: . Here is a Youtube video of it running :) .

Dennis K. Nash

Registered
Beautiful! I was at a show on the last day. A man had a very nice model engine he was reducing the price on. I still had to tell him no, I couldn't afford the models, I had to buy the real ones.