A Tale of Woe (help me feel better with YOUR take of woe)

DustyBar

Subscriber
Is gear oil worse smelling then the gallon of milk my mother left in the trunk of her brand new Camry for a few weeks?

:barf:
My father-in-law forgot several turnips in his trunk. We went on a 1600 mile trip with him and our 6 month old daughter in diapers. The whole time we thought it was our daughter's diapers that smelled so bad. When he got home and our daughter wasn't around it smelled even worse. That year old car was never the same again.

Peter Holmander

Subscriber
Potatoes that have gone bad are right up there. Or a mouse that has been dead for about a week. Shellfish reeks too.

---------- Post added at 07:43:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38:38 AM ----------

When you had that contest Andrew, all you had to do it ask for a sample of my wife's flatulence. OMG, when that woman f$#ts it STINKS !

Andrew Mackey

My son is in the military. He LOVES laying SBDs at work - drives the superior officers crazy:uhoh: :fart: I DO know about spousal farts. We were on our way home from our honeymoon when i smelled a sewer plant near Phily PA, that was near the highway. About 15 minutes (and 35 miles later), i smelled it again, but it was even worse. I turned to say something to my wife about it, and she was trying to smother laughter and tears running down her face. i had to stop and get out of the car it was so bad. Turns out it was not the sewer plant at all - it was her butt!:rant: i told her if she did that again, she was riding on the roof! P.U. It was not the last time she cleared a room!

Another stink that stays is panther piss - old stale gas, and not the crappy e-10 stuff either. i mean 20 or 30 year old old style stale gas. i bought a Fairbanks-Morse 11/2 HP Z engine and put it in the trunk of my moms brand new Ford Greneda. We did not have that car for a week yet, when we went to a farm sale. The panther piss gas leaked out of the fuel tank and soaked the trunk liner and went into the spare tire well too. What a smell! i had to pay for a new liner and spare tire (the gas ate the rubber), and to have the compartment steam cleaned. I think the steam cleaning just spread the smel! The car would stink every time it got hot, in the summer, and stil smelled 4 years later when mymom traded it in. The day she traded it in, she hing 4 of those smelly trees in the car, and you still could smell that dead gas!

Pete Deets

The worst is when you do it to yourself. A while ago I "found" (or did they find me?) some bananas I had forgotten in the trunk. That's right up there with the spoiled spuds or stale gas for potency. :fart: ..................PD

Peter Holmander

Subscriber
One last stinky story to share and I am done. In my town, we do not have trash pickup. We have a transfer station where you take all your waste to get rid of it. One Saturday morning I was on my way to the Transfer Station in my little Ford ranger pickup. It was a really hot day and the truck had no a/c so I had the windows down. As I made this right hand turn on the way there I was instantly over come by this horrendously horrible stench. It reeked and I had to actually pull over as I felt like I was going to puke. Once stopped I realized what it was. Apparently someone had hauled a dump truck load of chicken manure. We had had allot of rain recently and the manure was soupy and when the guy made the same turn I did, a ton of it spilled out from his loose tailgate onto the roadway. I drove right through it and my tires threw it up all inside my fender wells. I gagged all the way to the dump, and all the way home. Had to use a power washer on my truck to get it off because by the time I got home, it had dried on the metal.

AngrySailor

Subscriber
Did you repair the band saw?

I dropped my great grandfathers Old Onan generator while I was beginning to restore it. Sling slipped and with the oil/base removed the Center of gravity had changed enough she tipped over. Broke the aluminum control box and one of the relays. Man was I upset with myself! I ended up repairing it for the most part.

I have a “wall of carnage” at my fathers shop... back in the day we raced just about anything with a piston... I’ve got broken rods, pistons with valves jammed through them, you name it... SH1T happens!

Russ Hamm

Subscriber
Worse yet, accidently weed whack your wifes' poppies that her deceased mother gave her and find out those are worth more than anything cast iron and old.

cammer

i turned over a number 2 Cincinnati horizontal universal mill with powered indexing head and gear drive installed after driving 250 miles with it safely. thought i would be smooth used a skytrak giant fork lift pulled wrong handle tipped over broke table off crushed gear drive

georgineer

I was well into restoring an ancient teletype when I started on the paper tape perforator. Cleaned the anvil casting from the punch and put it on top of an electric heater to dry. Came back ten minutes later to find a puddle of melted pot metal where I had left a solid casting. End of project!

George

Monsonmotors

Subscriber
I found another ancient band saw nearby and purchased it. I’m not taking any chances. It’s laying flat until I know where it’s going.
Once again, these (100 year old?) machines are inexpensive. The infrastructure (lineshafts, hangers, pulleys) are crazy expensive.
This machine came from the George Wolfe machine shop in Orange Cove, CA and probably predates him, too.
No excuses, this time...

Attachments

dangier

While using loader to replace wear pads on my boom lift, I dropped the loader bucket on the bandsaw table-broke both yokes clean off. Good thing it was a cheap bandsaw.

Backed my new Kubota L3901 over a 24" oak log with the Farmi winch attached. Lifted the winch high enough to bend the PTO shaft and break the output housing. Now that was expensive!

Charley K

Subscriber
Back(several) years ago I was into go kart racing and building engines to supplement the hobby. After finishing a limited engine @$600.00 in parts, early 80's money, it was installed on my kart for testing in a school parking lot about 1/3 of a mile from my shop. Started the engine, rode it to the lot and proceeded to break in and tune. About the second lap I noticed a noise that was not healthy. I guess that was when the lube used to assemble the engine got used up. Just to be thorough I checked the oil level, guess I don't have to spell it out, never forgot that lesson. CK

Monsonmotors

Subscriber
My latest tale of woe involves buying a 1965 4wd k10 Chevrolet only to find it started out as a C10, and the tags and plates call it a 1959!
The price was cheap enough, but you can imagine how many chickens I hatched before I figured out.
A real 1965 Chevy K10 is a commodity.

bear67

Subscriber
My tale of woe is not about a "stinky" leftover odor, but a very persistent smell. I used to cook in Dutch Oven and Chuckwagon competitions and did many bread cooking demos. Was on my way to Camp Wood, Texas to do a sourdough bread demo and had a clay crock of sourdough starter, about 3 quarts sitting in passenger floorboard of my then new Dodge one ton flatbed. It was packed in with towels and flour bags and I thought safe from upset. But in Uvalde, a bread truck pulled out in front of me and in the emergency stop, it overturned. When I got home, I removed vinyl floor mats and padding and washed and washed.

Now that truck is 19 years old and our spare farm truck--and when it rains or humidity is up for a couple days, you smell sourdough starter--not a bad smell, but it has lasted, and lasted.

Tracy T

Subscriber
bear67 you are making me hungary just thinking about it! I love sourdough bread!! there was a lady here that made the best i have ever had, she passed away and took her recipe to the grave with her! Its a good thing I didnt have to drive that truck of yours, I would be 500 Lbs!!!

Ray Wangler

For some reason, I hadn't read this thread, but I feel better similar to Monson! I've goofed up plenty, once while digging in the chest freezer for sausage (always in the bottom, no matter what) I laid a turkey in the pile of coats next to the freezer. Needless to say about a week later, could not figure out that smell in the basement!! Turkey, coats, box coats were in, hit the trash. I don't think that smell came out of the concrete floor ever. While moving a couple years ago, dumped my father's scale model 10 bottom plow off the trailer because it wasn't tied down properly, one strap came loose and it did a 55 mph skip off a busy road. I was sick for days, but like was said before, I broke it, I fixed it.
thanks for all the entertainment!!

LCJudge

Subscriber
Some of the comments made are things I've had happen to me.

The latest, and one of the worst, happened a couple of years ago. I was needing to move some things to access an engine in the back of the shop. one of the engines I had to move was a very nice 8 HP sideshaft engine. This was an expensive item and it was in nice original condition.

It was on a set of trucks someone had made for it and I pulled the forklift under it to pick it up. The builder of the trucks had used bolts too long to mount the engine on the wooden runners. The bolts stuck through the bottom about an inch and a half. It just so happens the fork lift forks matched up perfectly under the bolts. I saw that that both forks were going to be picking it up on the ends of the bolts but what would that hurt..... so I thought.

I pick up the engine and back out of the building. Just as I get out from under the door it begins to rain, and rain hard! I pull over to where I'm going to sit the engine and since its raining, I want to get this done in a hurry. I hit the brakes and then everything seems to happen in slow motion. I can still see in my mind as clear as day the engine gently sliding on the forks, those 4 bolts working as well as any pair of skis in snow could. It gently slides off the ends of the forks, the engine tips up and again in very slow motion it eases over landing on it side and with a very dull "pop" the 4 foot flywheel snaps off the hub.

Thinking back about it I've often thought that thing rolled over so slowly that I could have jumped off the forklift and ran around in front of it and pushed it back upright before it tipped over. But, I know that couldn't have happened.

A few of you Stakkers have been at my place and have seen the engine with one flywheel (and it came with 2!). Now you know why. I've had a new flywheel cast and its being machined. When finished it will look about as good as it did originally. But, my error caused a tremendous amount of work, worry and grief.

Lastly, this happened several years ago but it too sticks with me. I had an engine that I was working on and the sideshaft bracket at the crankshaft needed boring out to put in a new bushing. I put it in the mill to cut it out and began to cut on it. I went in about a 1/4 inch and then I heard a "ping" and looked and a hard place in the casting had snapped the end of my tooling off. I got a carbide cutter and put on it as I was going to cut that 1/8th inch or so out of this thing to put in that new bushing. When it got to the hard spot I could see the whole machine sort of jumping a bit. What the heck was going on? I pulled the cutter out and the hard spot sort of looked "polished" but you could see where the carbide cutter was sort of "jumping" over it. I don't know how that hard spot got there or how they originally cut the hole in the material (possibly ground it?). But I saw the tooling I had wasn't going to do the trick.

I decided to put this piece of iron in the oven, let it get to about 1600 degrees. Turn the oven off and let it slowly cool. I could cut it then. I had done similar things 50 time before. So, I put it in the oven and wanting to let it heat as fast as it could I put it on max setting. I'd come back and check it in 30 to 45 minutes and when it got to 1600 degrees I'd crank it back.

Well, not to waste any time I went out in the yard and decided to mow. And listening to my earphones to a ball game I mowed and I mowed. Then the wife came out and said supper was ready. I went in and ate. That ball game I was listening to was on TV so I sat down and started watching it. Well after about 5 hours I remembered I had something in the shop oven. I took off like lightning to the shop and the minute I opened the door I could smell it. The oven had gotten so hot the bracket melted, ran all across the bottom of the oven and seeped out the bottom of the door. it had hit the concrete floor and popped a place up on it but luckily nothing flammable was in the area. I just turned the oven off and went to the house....... I have the melted bracket and will post a photo when I get home.