• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Your account is then manually checked and approved. There is too much funny business on the web for us to do otherwise. Be sure to use a working email address and do not use cloaking or anonymous web connections.

A Thing (Fuel tank for a gasoline-heated iron.)

G Willikers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/03/2020
A neighbour gave me this thing today.
Not sure what kind of a mcflavianvonsplinterdorfnersputzmachenhimmelpharb type of device this is?
There is a needle valve and packing gland in the top(?).
The fitting on the other end appears to have been made with that bend in the stem.
There is a threaded section leading out of the lower fitting which is also threaded internally.
On the other end, which looks like a plain spout, there is also an internal threaded section with an internal seat for a needle valve.
On the base of this lower fitting is a stud with a nut to secure it to something.
Any guesses?

Attachments

Kirk Taylor

Registered
Re: A Thing

A neighbour gave me this thing today.
Not sure what kind of a mcflavianvonsplinterdorfnersputzmachenhimmelpharb type of device this is?
There is a needle valve and packing gland in the top(?).
The fitting on the other end appears to have been made with that bend in the stem.
There is a threaded section leading out of the lower fitting which is also threaded internally.
On the other end, which looks like a plain spout, there is also an internal threaded section with an internal seat for a needle valve.
On the base of this lower fitting is a stud with a nut to secure it to something.
Any guesses?
Fuel tank for a gasoline-heated iron.

G Willikers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/03/2020

Thanks Kirk. Never knew there was such a thing. Those irons look like they could be real weapons.

Attachments

Glenn Ayers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
04/17/2020

Boy ! That should "Burn the Greenies Asses!"

I want a gasoline powered toothbrush too!

:D

FWurth

One Millionth Post
Last Subscription Date
07/29/2019

Damn! you guys are good, never would of guessed that.

Wayne Riedlinger

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/14/2019

When I first looked at the picture I thought the same thing, it sure looks like the fuel tank off a clothes iron. My mother used to have one when I was a wee ladd.

Andy Williams

Registered
just confirming that's what it is looks like a coleman. looks like they might have been dangerous. using common sense probably ok. they also made some that you put hot coals in.

gleaner

Registered
Coleman irons and lights were a common thing on our farm. Those irons and lights use "white gas". Same as you use in your camping cook stoves. Compared to a kerosene lamp the Coleman gas light was "night and day" difference. Just had to pump the air pressure to the tank once in a while.

Oldtech

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/14/2019
Yes, they could be a fire hazard, especially if dropped while using. The tank could break off spraying burning fuel around the house. Mama had to be careful.

Andy Williams

Registered
my mom said that they had one when she was a kid, it got stopped up or something and they took the tank off and used it on top of the wood stove like the old cast iron sad iron. they also had one of the coleman g.i. pocket stoves. they didn't get electricity until about 1960