• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Your account is then manually checked and approved. There is too much funny business on the web for us to do otherwise. Be sure to use a working email address and do not use cloaking or anonymous web connections.

A Trip to Crosby North Dakota

Ed Bays

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/14/2013
Speaking of characters......In my interview with the young lady, I told a story from our first trip to Crosby, that involved a not yet "older feller" from Russ' side of town.....

The only folks that we knew, that would be attending, were Jerry A., Vince, Joe H. and Clark. At that time, we only knew Kelly through forwarded e-mails. Remember those days? We checked in at the "Hub", did a little town exploration, then headed to the grounds. We knew that Vince and Jerry weren't in town yet, but we thought we might locate Clark and Joe. Sure enough, within minutes, I spotted an empty Keystone Light can....Clark's preferred drink. Ran into Kelly nearby and he assured us that Clark was around, while pointing out the dead solder as evidence. After that, I just kept expanding my search area little by little, and within five to ten minutes, a number of empty Keystone cans led me right to Clark and a familiar face. We had a Coors Light with him, he started introducing us around, and we became part of the group. Guess in the past fifteen years, I've turned into one of the "older fellers". (at least that's what my hair color indicates) It's a good bunch up there. Hope that the Corona doesn't interfere with this years 51st show.

Kevin Roth

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/08/2020
Ed, It doesn't seem that long ago that you started coming up Crosby. I do miss Jerry, Joe and Clark we had some good times together.
Jon, This is one old guy that won't need to be edited as I didn't do an interview.
Stay safe everyone and hope that the Corona virus thing is over with by July show time.

FWurth

One Millionth Post
Last Subscription Date
07/29/2019
Giving away my age here, but I recall those days very well. Harold would be there with the Kansas guys. Kevin and wife were newlyweds. There was never enough rooms at the HUB ,so many guys bunked out in John's shop. Clark and Joe would always be there, The snoring in there was unbelievable! Back then the mosquitos were almost unbareable at night, I guess the village sprays more now to control them. They would be so thick around the lights that one could scarcely see the fixture. The old water truck supplied by the street dept was an ancient COE Dodge, 47? we should have kept it for exhibit! John was so busy getting things started that you couldn't keep up with him. Don Bradly and Dan Roen kept the sawmill making sawdust, real business like! I do miss those guys. Kelly's daughter Jessie was a little tyke trying to tame that home made butt buggy that they had. Just to mention a few.

Russ Hamm

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/12/2024
Probably needed to edit the old guys to make it look like they are moving a little faster than they normally do😝
When I was a kid we had some neighbors the Kline brothers. Skeeter Kline's place was west of our ground, during wheat
harvest one year when Skeeter was around 90 years old dad and I saw him out in the pasture a ways on the C Farmall mowing
near the fence line. After watching for awhile we couldn't tell if he was moving at all, thought about going over there and checking
on him. Then suddenly he moved. Musta been collecting his thoughts or watchin an animal.

LukeSte

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/17/2019
We made some progress over the weekend. The 1428 is ready for plowing now, the advance is as well. And we got charlette mehmke,s combine set up for display. John came out to check on progress at the shop and showgrounds and was pretty pleased with what he saw

Attachments

Ed Bays

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/14/2013
I wish everyone would come back to Smokstak!

Me too, Kelly. Though I doubt that it is possible. The crowd was dropping off before the format change....after that, you know what happened. Unfortunately, most of the conversations are monopolized by around a dozen different folks that apparently have little to do except spend time on their phones. That's okay. It's just not the information thread that it was ten years ago. I'll stop here, as this is a thread about Crosby stuff........ED

Last edited:

Russ Hamm

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/12/2024
Me too, Kelly. Though I doubt that it is possible. The crowd was dropping off before the format change....after that you, know what happened. Unfortunately, most of the conversations are monopolized by around a dozen different folks that apparently have little to do except spend time on their phones. That's okay. It's just not the information thread that it was ten years ago. I'll stop here, as this is a thread about Crosby stuff........ED
Even facebook gets a little slow lately, and it will never equal the format here, much larger and diverse. A guy can come here and find information
on hundreds of different topics and types, on facebook you would often have to visit so many different groups to find what you need if you have
a collection of basically everything.
I just counted and I have 17 (!!!) shortcuts to facebook groups I am interested in and if you really think about it THIS GREAT SITE has all of those
topics in ONE PLACE! ;) :):):):) The groups are great when things are a little slow but Smok Stak will always be my absolute favorite place
to go, and the new format grew on me immediately, I like it.
Things will get back to normal when we don't have to worry and wonder so much, I am looking forward to the day when the crop comes in, what a
glorious thing that will be. Meanwhile...…….im fixing all the stuff right now I have had to put off because our show is pretty time demanding every year.
I hope next year to be so well prepared that it will actually become more fun AND relaxing.

Kelly Tytlandsvik

Subscriber
John Tysse tells me that the arrangements are made for the American tractor that belongs to Bodie Turner and Kenny Kass to be on display July 17,18 and 19. These are the regular dates for the Crosby show but due to Covid 19 the show will be downsized. They still plan on having the unveiling of this fine and rare piece of machinery along with a limited number of tractors pulled out. They will do some threshing and plowing and have a Reunion of threshers and collectors but just on a smaller scale.

Norm Johnston

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
08/13/2019
John Tysse tells me that the arrangements are made for the American tractor that belongs to Bodie Turner and Kenny Kass to be on display July 17,18 and 19. These are the regular dates for the Crosby show but due to Covid 19 the show will be downsized. They still plan on having the unveiling of this fine and rare piece of machinery along with a limited number of tractors pulled out. They will do some threshing and plowing and have a Reunion of threshers and collectors but just on a smaller scale.
Glad to see that tractor finished and would love to have been able to be there to see its first outing but unfortunately that's not possible for me this year have fun guys, look forward to maybe catching up in 2021